1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My favorite new show of the season is...

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by mreposter, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    I tried a few of the new comedies, but none of them clicked for me this year, so it's down to the dramas. I normally like sci-fi, but Unforgettable didn't work for me and I've never liked any of Spielberg's tv attempts, so Tera Nova was out and I missed that James Cavaziel (spelling?) pilot.

So, strangely enough the only two new series still in my DVR auto-record list are Revenge (call me superficial, but Emily VanCamp is hot!) and Pan Am. I'm intrigued by the whole "women in the 60's" and spy-vs-spy mashup. When they flashed back to the Bay of Pigs I was completely floored!

Okay, so I cheated and named two, but you get the idea... what are your favorites?

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It's too early as there are few shows yet to air, but here's my favorites to this point listed by category:
    • Overall best new drama of the fall - "Homeland" on Showtime, but if limited to broadcast networks "Person of Interest"
    • Overall best new comedy of the fall - "2 Broke Girls" on CBS
    • Least mentally challenging, but the best soundtrack in years - "Hart of Dixie" on The CW
    • Dramas with the most promise - "Enlightened" on HBO but if limited to broadcast networks "Pan Am" on ABC

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Persons of Interest

4. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I'm only going to watch one new show and it has not premiered yet.

5. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Only one I've watched so far is Terra Nova. I doubt that will be my favorite for this season. I do look forward to trying out Person of Interest and Homeland when I have time.

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Our favorite so far is Prime Suspect. We also like Unforgettable and Persons of Interest, but if I could only keep one, it'd be Prime Suspect, ATM.

We have Homeland recorded, but haven't watched it yet.

7. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Only new Network TV show I still have season passed "Person of Interest"

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We were rooting around in our lengthy UPL the other day and noticed Raising Hope . The UPL had the complete season from last year and several new shows from this season. My wife just had an operation a couple weeks ago (women stuff), and we were laughing so hard we had to turn it off. She couldn't take the pain the laughter was causing. I realize it's not a "new" show, but it's really worth watching.

We just started watching Strike Back on Max and we really like it. The other new show we really like is Suburgatory. New Girl and Two Broke Girls are good too, but the horse has to go.

We've dumped some shows already, but those are the shows we really like, so far. Terra Nova is a well made show with good casting and kinda reminds me of the first season of Star Trek. So far, each episode has had it's own story and there seems to be no ongoing story line, much like Star Trek. We really prefer shows with strong story lines. Kinda disappointed so far.

Rich

9. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I love "The Total Collapse of the Philadelphia Eagles" :)

Seriously, we do like PamAm.

10. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Homeland on Showtime and American Horror Story on FX

I'm still giving 2 Broke Girls a chance, but really haven't been impressed by any of the rest of the new offerings.

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    We liked the first episode of AHS a lot. Haven't watched last night's yet.

12. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    New Girl -- Funny, quirky, and a bit touching at times. I've stuck around for Raising Hope, which I missed in its first season. Even quirkier!

Terra Nova -- I love sci-fi, but this one had "overblown" written all over it. That said, I've enjoyed the first episodes at least enough to keep watching.

2 Broke Girls -- I tried the pilot, and it seemed so ... forced. It pushed the envelope of decency just for the sake of being crass.

13. MoInSTL

MoInSTL Legend

Mar 29, 2006
    Another vote for Homeland. Great story line so far. The last scene of the last episode was handled in a unique way.

14. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Drama:
    Pan Am's the only thing I've been intrigued by enough to get a Season Pass for, hoping it gets better as it seems to have a good production team.

Comedy:
    Up All Night, decent but still no sold on it.

15. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Forced - that's a very good description of 2 Broke Girls. Seems the dialog is just a bunch of one liners stitched together. I could totally imagine the same dialog on Whitney, which is why I deleted my season pass for both of them.

16. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. To me it is the one liners that make all the CBS comedies work. With the ABC family comedies it's a little more complicated. But "2 Broke Girls" looks to me like it just needs a little breaking in which may or may not happen. In the meantime, one liners are ok.

17. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Still building episode backlogs to watch later. I will vote when an entire season can be watched and is not cancelled.

18. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Pan Am - I was sure I wasn't going to like it yet I am enjoying it. I am not quite as concerned as some others about some technical flaws - the stories and characters are (for the most part) interesting.

19. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Still haven't found anything we like.

20. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    That is just sad......so, so sad. :confused:

There are a few promising shows, but I would have to split my single most favorite show vote between Showtime's 'Homeland' and 'Person of Interest' on CBS. As far as new comedies go, 'Broke Girls' (minus the inexplicable horse), and the engaging 'Suburgatory' make me almost lol.