1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My history with DIRECTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by redsoxfan26, Oct 19, 2011.

1. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    This thread is intended to show the different receivers, HD receivers, DVR's, and HDDVR's everyone has had over the years. I've been with DIRECTV (and USSB) on and off since about 1996. Here are mine - An RCA DRD303 was first, upgraded to Dolby Digital out with a DRD480. My first hd set was the RCA F38310. My first DVR was the Samsung SIR-S4040R with Tivo. My current crop is in my signature.

Attached Files:

2. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    I started in '97 with a Sony something or other (SAT60?). That evolved into an Ultimate TV, which then evolved into the DirecTV Tivo machine. I added an extra Samsung regular receiver somewhere along the way. Those were the only receivers I had in the first 10 years. Since going to HD in '07, my very first HR20 is still kicking. The HR in the other room has gone through 4 receivers with an HR22 in there now.

3. flashfast

flashfast AllStar

Dec 12, 2006
    I first signed on in 1994 and have been off and on with them since then. By the way, I mounted the dish and aimed it myself. Those were the days!

4. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    Signed in '09
    First Setup: 18" Dish and R22 and D12
    HD Upgrade: Slimline 3 and then traded D12 for H23
    Ordered a HR24
    Got a owned D10 (that didn't last long!) (POWER BOARD FRIED [I think])
    Mover's: SWMLINE Dish: Traded in H23, received 2 HR24s

And that is mine

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    November '96: Sony SAT-A2 system with Sony dual LNB dish.
    Early '97 added a Sony SAT-B2 receiver.
    Sony SAT-T60 DVR came next followed by the Philips DSR6000.
    Got a second dish with this one and aimed it at 119 for NASA.
    By using a 22kHz signal generator was able to connect a Dish 301 receiver to the dish to receiver Dish's Superstation pack.
    The Phase III dish came along when I added a Hughes HTL-HD receiver.
    Then added the H10-250 HD DVR. Put up an external OTA antenna at this time.
    Next dish was the Slimline 5LNB (4 outputs).
    Added the HR20-100 and then the HR23.
    The HR24-500 replaced the HR10 when it bit the dust.

6. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Signed up in Aug '01 with an RCA (DRDsomething) and 18" dish I bought at Best Buy.
    Replaced the RCA with a Tivo unit that for the life of me cant remember the brand. PRetty sure it is the Samsung in Redsox's picture above ('04-'05 maybe)
    Upgraded to HD in '07 with an HR20 that is still going strong and added an SD receiver (R15)
    Upgraded the R15 to an HR21 ('08) which died and is now an HR23 (the R15 has been in a box in my garage ever since then)
    Added two H24's and MRV in 2010

7. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    When I started in 2003, I bought a box at Best Buy containing an RCA receiver and dish, which I installed myself (I picked up a HDVR2 at the same time). I hooked the receiver up to my bedroom TV, opened the window and turned up the volume so I could hear the tuning tone from the roof.

8. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    January 95 here, IIRC.

Ah, I had some of the exact equipment like that RCA receiver.

BTW, is my memory hazy, or weren't we at one time legally getting a bunch of local channels from all over the country? I swear I could remember watching the major networks from LA, SF, NY, Miami, Dallas, and many more.

9. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Pretty much what I did. Installed the receiver in the upstairs living room and ran the two cables out the window. The window and the corner of the house where it was mounted was maybe 6ft apart. I remember thinking I had the perfect settings but getting zero signal. After hours I figured out I had the dish about a foot too low and it wasnt clearing the house next door.

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The neat thing about my original Sony dish was it had an LED on the LNB assembly that would flash faster as you aimed the dish.

When I got the Phase III, I used the intercom feature on my cordless phone to listen to the tones while aiming.
    I let DirecTV align the Slimline. :)

11. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I remember that blinking light. It was cool.

12. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I've got out in the garage to take to our electronics recycling center a Samsung SIR TS-360 HD tuner and a very old Sony SAT-B2.

There's nothing more useless than yesterday's technology.

13. dcandmc

dcandmc Legend

Sep 24, 2008
    Sometimes you never know...

While not the most ancient piece of DirecTV equipment, just today I pulled an HR10-250 out of storage where it had sat for several years and reactivated it to use with a SD TV in my basement.