My HOA has issues

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Rob Boyle, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Rob Boyle

Rob Boyle New Member

Dec 16, 2018
    Hello DBS,
    I'm a property manager stuck in the middle of a hotel style dish install gone bad.
    I figured I better start studying up on how a Dish signal gets split and shared by many units.

From what Ive read so far I think the items we have installed will be adequate once installation is comeplete.

It looks like we will have one dish split and boosted to cover up to 10 units with up to 4 tvs in each unit. PRobably looking at cable runs of up to 600'

I'll have to go check the cable and see if it is solid copper core.

we have 4 of the DPH42 switches with power inserter boosters splitting the signal from one dish.
    dish1.jpg

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the closet is look nice ,,,
    but the two powerstrips !
    no good for outdoor install, need install power outlets with IP44 at least

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's irrelevant
    how many dish devices and what kind in each unit ?
    hoppers ?
    joys ?
    wallys ?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    really ?!
    see what DPH42 book outlined :
    looks like you should call MDU installers or at least call SolidSignal to find real solution

5. Rob Boyle

Rob Boyle New Member

Dec 16, 2018
    Thanks for the feedback. I will look those services up.

This panel is expected to service about 40 wallys, in 10 units going as far as 600 ft from the panel. I've realized that the company we are working with is not delivering on their promises and just trying to educate myself so I can make informed decisions

6. Rob Boyle

Rob Boyle New Member

Dec 16, 2018
    Does the 140 ft number shown in the DPH42 book include the increase distance from the power inserter?

looks like the number of wallys is fine, its the distance

"Note: For multiple-Wally installations, the DPH42 Power Inserter must be installed between the switch and a splitter, as shown below. Also, cable-runs cannot exceed 140 feet between the farthest LNBF and the farthest receiver. See the Cable-Runs for Channel-Stack Splitters table on page 11 for more details."

7. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    When I saw "HOA" I expected a thread about a HOA disputing antennas. :D

tivofan2018 likes this.
  8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's cover RF distribution, PI is not the concern

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You should include every piece of cable from the dish to the furthest receiver. Include patch cables, drip loops, coiled cables. Imagine the cable as a single run from the dish to the receiver and measure every foot. Don't forget the path that the cable is following can be longer than the straight line distance between two points.

Yes, the system will probably work if you exceed 140ft. There is no science that says the signal is excellent at 140ft and utter garbage at 141ft. But to stay within the specification you need to stay at or under 140ft.

Rob Boyle likes this.
  10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Or threat it right way - it's MDU and you'll need real distributing system with amplifiers, etc to cover 600ft span.

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You really need to get someone who knows how to install an MDU system to do this right.

Rich and Rob Boyle like this.
  12. Rob Boyle

Rob Boyle New Member

Dec 16, 2018
    How would I go about finding someone qualified in Central Colorado? is there a list of certified installers somewhere?

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I'd start off by calling Dish / commercial sales - they should at least get you heading in the right direction.

Rob Boyle likes this.