1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HR20 freezes up when I connect it to my home network - Known issue?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RobertSeattle, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Legend

Aug 27, 2006
    If I either plug a Cat-5 cable into my HR20 or shut if off, then do so, a few minutes later my HR20 will look up "control wise" - I still get a picture, but neither my remote or the console controls will respond to anything and the only way to get it back is to pull the plug. Anyone heard of similar problems? I've got a pretty standard home network with DHCP and I'd love to connect the HR20 to the internet, but this is a bit of a problem...

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    The biggest problem with networking the HR20 seems to come from it's interaction with other UPnP devices on the network.

What else is on your network and what type of router and wireless adapters are you using? This will help some of our network gurus try to sort things out.

3. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Legend

Aug 27, 2006
    I've got several computers at any one time on my home network, 3 wireless modems (linksys). The HR20 connect via wire, not wireless. I used to have iTunes sharing going on, but turned that off when I started getting the lock ups. My HR20 seems to work fine except for this issue. Since I doubt I'll do much VOD anytime soon, it's not a big deal, but obvious lockups are a pain.

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Robert,

The next release of the software may have a fix that solves your problem. Do you have any devices like cameras on your network? Running any types of server?

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Do you have an HR20-100 or HR20-700 ?
    And what software version do you have on each of those

6. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    Same problem here on a -700 with the 0x1b9 software.

What a snoop capture on my Netscreen sees is that on bootup it sends out come UPnP packets to a broadcast IP and then accesses DNS and an internet host on port 80.

However, when you try doing a "Connect" from the setup menu, it only broadcasts the UPnP packets again. It never sends any packets that try to traverse the FW and access the internet.

7. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    if you are referring to a hr20-100 then i am
    pretty sure your issue will be solved with the
    next NR...hopefully soon

8. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    Come to think of it, I think I added a Webcam that supports UPnP to the mix since I was first networked. It's a Linksys Wireless that we're using to keep an eye on a new dog we adopted. Maybe I'll disconnect it and see what happens.

9. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    You should be able to use the webcam with proper drivers without using UPnP. Go the the webcams website and download the latest drivers.

10. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007

i have 2 wireless panasonic ip netcams going 24/7
    using UPnP...i had the lockup probs too until i DL"d the
    CE from this past weekend...now i don't get any lockups
    & media sharing works perfect...i wish my DoD would get
    activated so i can see if it actually is going out to the net...
    according to the test it is....but what is it(hr20) pinging
    to get the connected to internet confirmation

11. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    UPnP is disabled, but I thought it might have something to do with it. Unplugged it and still having "Not Connected (22)" issues on the Internet Connection.

12. SteveInNC

SteveInNC AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    I just had a similar issue with a HR20-100, but mine isn't connected to anything (no phone, no network, no external drive). I turned on the TV and had live video on the tuned channel, but the remote didn't work, and the front console buttons didn't work.

My first powerdown/restart made it to the "1 of 2 checking satellites..." screen, but then seemed to get stuck. The blue ring was on full on all segments. I waited 45 minutes and nothing changed, so I power-cycled again and watched it. This time it came up successfully. I'm running 018a, unit at 104 degrees, powered by a computer-grade UPS. No weather to speak of. I've had the box about three weeks.

13. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Legend

Aug 27, 2006
    I have 4 webcam too. (It's easy to forget all the junk you add to a network!)

Thanks - look forward to the next build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.