My initial experience

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - AM21 Discussion (private)' started by sbl, Feb 9, 2008.

1. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I returned home Friday and installed the AM21. Perhaps some of what I write here has been experienced by others.

On restarting the HR21, the "acquiring satellite information" appeared to hang at 90%. I left it that way for several minutes and then RBR. On the second time, it also stopped at 90% but after 4-5 minutes it finished.

I was then presented with the menu to set up the antenna. When I selected that, I was asked to enter my ZIP code but it was already filled in. There was no other button on the screen. I used right-arrow to position to the last digit and pressed OK. It then showed me a screen about getting guide data, which eventually finished.

However, I was back to a request to set up the antenna! I did the "Initial Setup" again - this time while the ZIP was filled in again there was a button to skip the setup. Instead of using OK, I reentered the ZIP and when I pressed the last digit, it changed the screen to "searching for local markets". Things progressed fine after that, it redid the guide data search and then showed me a list of channels.

Since I'm using, temporarily, an indoor antenna, I knew I would receive only a few stations. I used the signal meter to find those - the ones I received typically came in at 54% and deselected the others.

The picture and sound on the channels I got was fine - it was especially nice to see WMUR-DT which DirecTV does not carry in HD. There was also a local Spanish language channel which came in clearly. As others have noted, the audio volume is more consistent with the satellite channels than the HR10 (I have not used OTA on the HR20, but I understand it to have the same issue.)

2. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Interesting. Mine had a 96xxx zip code already filled in and I replaced it with my own.

3. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    I'm not sure where it got the ZIP from - may have been Satellite setup or maybe Active Channels where I set it up for local weather. But it was absolutely my exact ZIP (03xxx). I would very much prefer to see a Continue button on this page rather than relying on the user pressing the fifth digit. (And the press of OK should not do anything when on a digit.)