My MRV upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by csterno, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1 of 13
    csterno

csterno New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Just thought I would share my experience. My existing setup was:
    1 HR21 dvr
    1 HR22 dvr
    an old RCA sd receiver
    an old Samsung Series 2 sd dvr

When I checked on-line regarding MRV it said I was eligible for free receiver upgrades. I confirmed this with the CSR when I placed the order, everything not compatible would be upgraded for free so that MRV could work (I had to pay the $99 + 49 install fee) ...

So when the installer arrived he said no, the CSR was wrong. Everything would be upgraded so that I could use SWiM & DECA which would allow for MRV between the existing HD boxed but I would need HD receivers at the other locations. I knew this but assumed that my free receiver upgrade for MRV would naturally be HD receivers since that was what I was upgrading to. He had a free SD dvr and SD receiver that were SWiM compatible but said I needed to call DirecTV in order to get the HD ones required for MRV to work.

So I called DirecTV and complained that my whole house MRV upgrade wasn't really that since I could only MRV at my existing DVR's. They said that I would need to purchase HD receivers (at $99 per receiver) for this to work and when I pushed back and said I should have been informed of that when I placed the upgrade order as I may have decided against the upgrade had I know the free receivers wouldn't get me whole house MRV and I would need to purchase HD receivers. He said he would check and sure enough I was eligible for 1 free HD receiver upgrade. I said I really need two, he checked and I could only get one. He did say that if I signed up for the premium channels at a reduced rate ($21) I could get another HD receiver for free. He said that I could cancel after 30 days and there would be no penalty so that's what I did.

Just wanted to let people know to make sure you know what you're getting when you get your free upgrade receivers.

2. Jun 3, 2010 #2 of 13
    bigbrother52

bigbrother52 AllStar

Jan 19, 2008
    I'm pretty much right in the middle of doing the same thing with current system being
    2 HR20-700's
    2 R-15's
    1 R-10

I currently have unsupported MRV between the 2 HR-20's and they say they'll upgrade the other 3 boxes to HR-2x's for free.
    Looking at the order online I see 1 free and 2 at $199 each. I then recieve two e-mails, first one has a $99 credit and the second has an additional $150 credit. I've never been real good at math but somehow the numbers just don't seem to all add up.

They are also supposed to install DECA and SWiM is needed for two of the boxes since I only have 1 cable run to each those two, my WB68 is maxed out at this point.
    Everything seemed to be going just fine with CSR with all this mess being installed and 3 new boxes for a grand total of $77.19
    Then I ran everything back with her and mentioned an internet connection kit, as it's impossable to run cable from my existing home network to the 3 other boxes. At that point she tacked on another $48.98. I whined and she asked me to be reasonable. Well I am a very reasonable person, so natrually I agreed. I mean, it really is a good price for all this stuff and for a change, I don't have to do anything myself!

Anyway, now I log onto my D*TV account to see what they've done and I'm not so certain they have it all straight.
    I don't see any mention of what they're supposed to do, all I see is 3 boxes and an install of an internet connection kit, which by the way, says $25 but the price jumped $48.98 and to be honest, I'm not even certain I actually need this particular thing.
    So, by my math, which if you recall, has never been so good, the bill now says $153.21 due after the aformentioned credits.
    Quite a jump from the original $77.19 but it would still be fine because I think it's still a great deal, but if only they'd just stick to what they tell you on the phone, I'd be alot happier!
    Gotta hop back on the phone now to see if they understand exactly what it is that I want here and see if the price agreed upon is actually the price agreed upon.

3. Jun 3, 2010 #3 of 13
    csterno

csterno New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    You did get a nice deal but yeah, I just wish they could get the order right the first time so the final total / equipment matches what you eventually get.

4. mangust

mangust Cool Member

Oct 10, 2006
    I've read through FAQs and the threads. I apologize in advance if my questions below have already been covered but there are some thing that I am still no sure about.
    I called yesterday just to get the HD fee credit. I got a very nice CR on the phone, so I told her that I miss the old MRV I've had with two of my HDVRs. She looked at my existing setup:
    1 HR20-100
    1 HR21-100
    1 R15
    1 D10
    1 Slimline Dish

and offered me to swap the R15 for a HDVR and the D10 for a new receiver plus the Whole-Home HD DVR Upgrade. The kicker: all at no charge and no commitment renewal. It all sounded so good that I asked her to confirm it twice.

This is what my order says:
    1 Whole-Home HD DVR Upgrade $99.00
    1 DIRECTV® Standard Receiver - Swap $0.00
    1 DIRECTV® DVR - Swap $0.00
    1 Sales Order Credit -$99.00
    Sales Order Credit -$49.00
    Installation Fee $49.00
    Delivery & Handling Fee $0.00
    Tax $0.00
    Total $0.00

Here are my questions:
    1. The snippet from the confirmation email says:
    "Please remember that you must maintain DVR Service if you ordered a DIRECTV Plus® DVR or HD Access if you ordered a DIRECTV® HD Receiver. If you ordered a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR, you must maintain both services on your account. By doing so, you will be able to take full advantage of the amazing features on your new receiver. You have also agreed to maintain another 24 months of DIRECTV service."
    If I am getting an equipment swap and the CSR confirmed that no commitment is required, do I need to worry about the snippet above? If so, what should I do to ensure that no commitment is imposed?

2. I am not entirely clear what the purpose of the Internet Kit is. Right now I have HR20 and HR21 connected to a router in a basement which in turn is connected to the main home network router upstairs. The R15 and D10 locations are not currently networked. Will the installer need to have these locations networked as well? Do I need to alert DirecTV about any additional equipment that's needed?

Thank you all.

5. csterno

csterno New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Regarding #1, I think you'll be tied to a 24 month commitment unless you get it in writing that you won't be. I'm not sure how you get that.

For #2, you only need the internet kit if you want to do on demand or tv apps from any receiver. If you decide to that you won't need ethernet to every box. They'll hook up a separate co-ax run from your SWM to your router and then all of your receivers will see the internet through the single satellite cable to each receiver.

There are way more knowledgeable people on this board then me so hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1. The CSR didn't answer you with all the information. The connected home doesn't have a commitment, BUT receiver swaps do trigger a commitment. The D10 & R15 will need to get swapped.
    2. The internet kit is to have the DECA network connect to your home networking for internet access. The R15 & D10 locations will have filters blocking the coax networking, so these won't have networking. These locations would need to have upgrades over the R-16 & D12 units that would be the normal swap, which would be extra costs for these upgrades to HD receivers.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Here's the rules again, folks:

- The MRV/WHDS requires a SWM system. This means that all non-SWM-compatible receivers will be replaced with SWM-compatible receivers OF THE SAME FAMILY. So, a basic receiver will be replaced by a D12. An SD-DVR will be replaced with an R16. You do NOT get a free HD upgrade as part of this; if you want all HD receivers, you have to upgrade them (i.e., you have to pay).

- Each HD receiver, other than H24/HR24 models, will need a DECA adapter, PLUS you will need an additional DECA adapter, with its own power supply, hooked up to your router to bridge the DECA network with the rest of your home network. This additional DECA adapter is referred to as the "Internet (or Broadband) Connection Kit" by DirecTV, and you will probably need to ask for it specifically, or they won't include it on the work order, and you won't get it.

- There is a special DECA adapter for use as the "Internet Connection Kit", called the "Broadband DECA", but it is not yet available, so a standard DECA adapter should be used instead. The "Broadband DECA" is the same electronics in a different type of case, meant to look more like a typical router, but it doesn't do anything that a regular DECA adapter doesn't do.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Close, but not quite... Since he already has ethernet hooked up to one of the receivers, the installer can easily use a splitter on the coax near one of the receivers and then just use the existing ethernet cable for use in the Broadband Connection Kit (or extra DECA depending on what is available).

Also, hooking up the DECA cloud to your router will also allow your router to assign IP addresses to the receivers whiich will allow them to find each other quicker.

- Merg

9. goondog71

goondog71 Mentor

Feb 15, 2006
    My original set up was:
    HR20
    R15

My R15 died in my bedroom and I was out of contract so I decied to upgrade everything. So I upgraded that DVR to a HD DVR as part of my order and got the MRV upgrade as well. I was told the same thing on the phone that if the HR20 did not work with DECA and SWiM then it would be switched out.

When the installer arrived he put in the SWiM and the DECA with no problem, just needed to update my dish to one LNB. But when he saw my HR20 he said that would not work with the new network, something about too many things are needed to make a HR20 work and I do not have them in the truck.

By the time he left I had the SWiM and DECA set up and working and 2 new HR24s

10. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    At home now, in my 4 hour window from noon to 4pm. 2 new H receivers (here's hoping for h24's) to go with my hr22 and hr23.

I hope the tech has run out of deca adapters for the 22 and 23, because the HR 22 is just dog slow even compared to the 23, and has to swap my 22 for a 24.

11. mangust

mangust Cool Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Well, I just spoke with DirecTV again. The rep looked at my order and said that there is no commitment required. From what I understood the key is equipment swap vs equipment upgrade. If it's a swap there is no commitment. Both of mine are listed as swap so I am hoping that both reps are correct.

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not to burst any bubbles, but receiver "swaps" trigger the commitment, while the upgrade [for connected home] doesn't have any.

13. mangust

mangust Cool Member

Oct 10, 2006
    You are indeed correct. I guess it's not really a surprise that a dbstalk member is more knoweldagable that D* reps.
    Anyway, I thought I'll provide an update on my situation.

The techs came on Saturday to install the MRV hardware and replaced my R15 with R22, and D10 with D12. R22 of course is not officially an HD DVR but it can do MRV and HD if necessary. D12 on the hand does nothing more than D10 could, except for SWM compatibility. I got on the phone and eventually got all the way to the supervisor. However, the only things offered were apologies and an option to upgrade D12 to an MRV compatible receiver which happens to be HD capable as well. The upgrade was eventually offered at no charge but would carry the two-year commitment. But here is the bomb: two year commitment was already added anyway.
    I was rather upset by then but remained cordial through the whole ordeal. I just said bye. Next day I wrote a detailed email to Ellen Filipiak describing what I was offered and what I instead received. On Monday morning I was contacted by the DTV customer advocacy group. The end result: D12 is now replaced with H24, and the commitment is removed from my account.
    So, the bottom line is do your homework before getting an MRV upgrade. Just because your equipment is SWM compatible, does not mean it can do MRV.
    If any receivers/DVRs have to swapped you'll be getting a two-year commitment extension. With that in mind, make sure you get the HD equipment.