1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new WD 2TB EVDS just died

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tom M, Nov 28, 2010.

EVDS drive failures

1. Running fine for over 6 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Drive failed & replaced

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  3. What's an EVDS drive

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    I replaced my external 1TB Hitachi drive less than 2 months ago due to lack of space with a WD 2TB EVDS drive that has just died. The drive has been running flawlessly since intallation and ran much cooler and quieter than the Hitachi. Needless to say, I bummed as I've got quite a bit of additional material on it that can't be recovered. At least I've got the older drive to throw back in until the RMA replacement shows up.

I was watching a movie and the screen just froze. After the watchdog rebooted things the HR20 wouldn't come up (my internal drive failed several years ago). I tried several things w/o success and thought I might have found the culprit in a bad eSATA cable - but replacing with a known good cable didn't fix things. as soon as I put the Hitachi back in the dock the HR20 booted right up.

The EVDS sounds like it's got a head dragging as there's a slight sandpaper sound when the drive starts spinning. Definitely not a bearing. I've already got an advanced RMA request in so hopefully a replacement won't take too long. To guarantee you are encouraged to ship the failed drive back within 30 days they hold out $215 against the CC.

I'm curious how many others have had one of the EVDS drives fail?

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty sure the EVDS are generally the drives of choice for DVRs, but there are still early failures in drives. I haven't gone eSATA or swapped out an internal drive for anything. I just don't see the point in having more than the standard 100-hrs of HD (but that's me .. lots of folks enjoy the extra capacity larger drives provide).

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Like even the finest brands of cars...you get a bad hard disk from good manufacturers from time to time.

4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Instead of putting all of my eggs in one basket, I spread my 2TB of storage over 4 dvr's. If one fails I only lose a quarter of my programs, that and I don't have any full dvr's even with the stock drives so there is no incentive to swap them out or use externals.

5. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    I've got a DVR as does my wife but we tend to watch vastly different programming. I guess one way to reduce the problem would be to do a backup every week or so until past the infant mortality phase. The other solution is to use multiple drives in the docking station, though that seems even more hassle.

The truth is that drive failures are pretty rare for the most part. However once it strikes the failure rate turns into 100% on a personal level. My pc's are tied to a WHS setup that performs nightly backups to help reduce the impact of the eventual drive failure. It would be nice if there were some similar mechanism in a DVR.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Really, a Poll? I had an EADS drive fail after about 4-5 months...premature failure in electronics is rare, but not impossible, hardly poll-worthy....show a little common sense.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The poll is fine.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I was surprised to see the poll too. I'm kinda disappointed in my EVDS drives. They started rumbling after one of the recent NRs and my EADS drives are much quieter. And the EADS drives have been running much longer than my EVDS drives.

Don't know what to make of the "rumble", but I do know that it started just after an NR. Not really that annoying, unless you're in a very quiet room, but it's there and that disturbs me. Not just externals, the rumbles are there in my owned HRs that have the EVDS drives internally. Sadly, these things don't seem to get better. Witness the insanely loud chattering Seagate Cuda drives that were so silent until an NR came along and started them "seeking". Not all my Seagates do that, just a couple.

Rich

9. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Should take a poll to see how many people feel that this issue is poll worthy?

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't really mind the idea of a poll, but the EVDS drives haven't been out that long for a really good take on how reliable they are. The EADS drives have problems too, I've bought three and returned one, too noisy.

Rich

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Instead of putting all of my eggs in one basket, I spread my 13 TBs of storage over 7 dvr's. If one fails I have that DVR completely Replicated on another DVR so that problem is Moot in my case. :D

12. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    What's an EVDS drive ?

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    It is a Western Digital hard drive such as the WD20EVDS which is the 2 TB Version. It supposedly was designed to work in an A/V Environment. However, it has had some problems ever since coming out.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Circuit City has the 2TB EADS on sale for $109. Here's a link.

Rich

15. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I had been buying the EADS drives, but this week I had one fail at 9.5 months. I expect 3 years minimum from a drive, so that was discouraging.

So I ordered a EVDS from Amazon this morning, hoping for a better outcome. Now I read your post, and am discouraged all over again.

This validates my double-recording policy, if nothing else.

16. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    I had a 1TB fail on me and WD replaced it with a 1.5TB standard non EVDS drive. Drive lasted about 8 months.

17. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    I always get a kick out of all the polls that are run without actually using a formal poll. The fact that I added it doesn't change the tone of the thread - which is how early are the EVDS drives dying in the field - and a formal poll makes a quick glance summary possible when taken seriously. Based on some other research I'd done it does seem like the EVDS drives have a higher than normal failure rate and since the DBSTalk community likely has a higher percentage rate of use than mere regular users it seemed like a good place to ask the question.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The whole hard drive thing is discouraging. How does a whisper quiet HDD get noisy all of a sudden? I realize the load on them gets greater with each NR, but it's getting to the point where no one knows which drives are the best to use and each recommendation is only a WAG.

But, can you really call a suddenly slightly noisy HDD a "failed HDD"? My EVDS drives still work well, but that rumbling disturbs me. And it definitely wasn't there when I installed them. Nor did my EADS drives chatter quietly when first installed. Nor did my Seagate Cudas chatter madly when first installed. They all work, tho.

I can truly only think of two instances when an HDD failed on my HRs. Both times the HDD was shot.

This isn't like the problems I had with TiVos and HDDs. Those HDDs truly failed and failed consistently well under 3 years. Some only lasted a few months.

So, two HDDs failed in over four years. That's not bad. One was a 1TB, didn't bother to try to return it, didn't want another 1TB drive. Same with a Seagate Cuda 1.5TB. Didn't want another 1.5 drive. I've still got that 1.5 sitting next to me and someday I'll run Seagate's diagnostic disc on it, but I don't know what I'd do with it if the diagnostics fixed it. I could return it and get a new one, but why bother?

The enclosures are another issue. I've had Seagate enclosures fail, Antec MX-1s fail, never had a docking station fail, but haven't had them long enough to really be sure about them. I think a lot of the HDD "failures" we read about are really enclosure failures.

Still, the best thing to do is have multiple HRs and backup everything of value a few times. And the best enclosure for the HDDs is, without a doubt, the HR itself. As I've said many times, I've never had an internal HDD fail.

Rich

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Don't forget that most of these drives carry a several year warranty from the manufacturers, call and get an RMA and send those suckers back when you have one that fails under warranty.

20. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I have 6 WD20EADS Hard Drives and one WD10EADS Hard Drive and they operate Flawlessly and Quiet albeit they are Internally Mounted. So I completely support the EADS Series of Western Digital Drives and I was the First one on DBSTALK.COM to buy one and install it in an HR23-700 so I have had mine for quite some time and no problems.

However, I keep all of my DVRs on an APC Battery Backup UPS so that protects it from surges and spikes and instant shut downs which are the hardest thing on a hard drive.