My observations on DIRECTV2PC

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by eperrone, Nov 30, 2008.

1. eperrone

eperrone AllStar

Sep 3, 2006
    Hello all,

I spent most of the afternoon yesterday watching the Texas/Texas A&M game and a recorded Eagles Cardinals Game on my laptop, both were recorded in HD. I thought I would share my observations on the DIRECTV2PC.

First my setup:
    I have the HR21 networked via Powerline (85Mbps) to my Linksys wireless G router
    I have a Dell Inspiron 830 Laptop with 4GB RAM Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz processor
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M Video Card
    Dell 1305 Draft 802.11N wireless card

Observations:
    1. About every 10-15 minutes I would get a Server stopped responding message which would force me to restart the playback. I should note that it would connect again immediately either by clicking Play command again or by restarting the software.
    2. Whenever I got the server stopped responding message the DIRECTV2PC software would forget where it stopped and it would start the play from the beginning.
    3. to avoid the problem in step 2 if I restart DIRECTV2PC software and reconnect it would restart the playback at the last place where I hit the STOP button (not the place where the server stopped responding).
    4. When starting playback it invariably would be very jerky in video and audio. Sometimes if you let it play a little it would smooth out a bit.
    5. I found that the best method to get it to play smoothly was to pause the video immediately after starting playback for a minute or two then restart playback. I assume this buffers the video some.
    6. If you did pause the video for too long (anywhere from 2 min to 5 min) it would lose its connection and you get server stopped responding message.
    7. 2 times I got the message that the server could not be found. Restarting the software fixed this.
    8. I have no direct repeatable proof of this but it seemed that when my wife was browsing around on the On Demand movies the "server stopped responding message" came more often.

I am actually really looking forward to this functionality as it appears to have some promise. Overall it seems that the software is very sensitive to interruptions in the video stream and overall speed of the network. Next time I try this I am going to go into my Linksys router and play with the QoS settings to see if it helps keep the stream.

Anyway I figured I would write this stuff down in case someone form DirecTV is reading these messages.

Thanks
    Eric

2. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Can you record onto a laptop and watch it later with this method?

3. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    No, DIRECTV2PC is for viewing and will only stream content stored on your DVR's; nothing is actually saved to the computer.

4. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Then what's the point?

5. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    To be able to watch in another room. Then youwon't need a tv in there or the $5 charge for the extra reciever. Oh and it's cool too

6. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I was thinking about adding Dtv in my apartment bedroom to be able to watch tv and to watch what I have recorded on my HR20-700. I already have a 27" HDLCD Panny tv, which I am using as a desktop computer monitor (I have two laptops with Dtv2PC). So I won't have to pay for another tv, my cost to add Dtv (reciever only) will be: upgrade receiver-$99, monthly charge-$5, installation:cable going through my bedroom window which will have to be cracked open letting the cold air and noise in.
    With Dtv2PC: just bring in my 17"laptop, without any addtional cost.

7. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    This would be interesting to diagnose further.

FWIW, I have a similar setup - Linksys WRT54GS to HR20-100 with WET54G wireless bridge. PC is hardwired to the network.

I have never had any issues at all like you describe - but more than likely there's nothing going on on the remote HR20 (other than someone watching live TV or possible another recorded show) when I'm accessing it.

I'll have to try browsing on-demand to see if it has an effect and corroborate your experiences - which would lead one to believe that it's a network issue.

Another possibility is that the hardware (or possibly software) isn't up to handling multi-processing duties that DirecTV2PC can demand.

8. eperrone

eperrone AllStar

Sep 3, 2006
    Hello all,

Thought I would relate an update on this. I reconfigured my network so that I moved my wireless router downstairs next to the HR21. So now the HR21 is plugged into the wireless router and the wireless router is plugged into the powerline network which is in turn sent up to my DSL.

In this configuration the use of DirecTV PC is much more stable, although is still has some hiccups when streaming HD. So I suppose moral of the story is that having it plugged directly into the wireless router works better.

Thanks