1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my slimline install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bytor, Dec 24, 2011.

1. bytor

bytor Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Hey guys,

looking for some feedback on my dish install. I want to make sure I am not missing anything.
    I attached the uni-strut to the tower with strut clamps and mounted the dish with bolts and strut nuts. I know I am using only 1 mono pole but I figure that the wide footprint i made with the strut will prevent any side to side movement during a wind load. My signals are 93's and 95's. I got a lot of great info from this site and appreciate the help. Merry Christmas.

Attached Files:

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I think I would have used two monopoles for that install. It looks like you have room at either end of the cross brace.

3. bytor

bytor Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thats a good idea. Will do thanks:D

4. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Looks great. As long as the tower is mounted securely to the building you shouldn't have any problems. Nice job :)

5. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    man that looks sturdy, good job. the 2 monopoles might tighten that up a little but the way u have it now should never be a problem. id be happy as hell to come on a job n see that install !!

6. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    The green screw is missing. The whole thing is an instant fail. Have you still got it somewhere?

7. bytor

bytor Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I have the tower base mounted to a 3 foot concrete base and secured to the house in 2 places.

The installer was very cool to work with. i ran all the cables and had the mounts ready. He was haveing a bad day with an uptight customer so i made his day.

My tower is grounded with it's own ground rod. I have continuity between the dish and the rod.

8. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Ok Here's my .002 cents worth. As an installer/service tech and a ham I am seeing that
    1) You are trying not to drill into the roof, BUT mounting on a tower like this you really need to put the second support arm on going over to the side for reduction of side to side movement.

2) You also need to be sure that just because you have the tower to a ground rod, that rod needs to be bonded to your main house ground system.

Two reassons, 1) Your system will now be at a common ground point, and 2) it will also cause less problems from your han equipment.

As a ham you should know this. Check article 800 of the NEC.

The other thing I see is that with the dish on a tower like this, if you ever have any kind of problem with the dish, the normal install will refuse to work on it.

Good Luck, Happy Holidays 73's

9. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    The installers ground the dish?? Someone needs to tell that to the guy that installed mine... He was an nice guy but, i think he might have been pretty new. I asked him if he mind if my son and i watched as he installed the dish ( we both are very interested in this stuff), he was cool with it.. but, when he was setting up the position of the dish his meter froze... he pulled out his cell and called his boss and right in front of us said " This F*c*ing meter is froze and its pissing me off, i am going to throw it in the F*c*ing trash soon!" :eek2:

Needless to say i ended up grounding the dish myself when i did some other electrical work in the same area....

10. bytor

bytor Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about replacing the top strut with the single support arm with a slightly longer one and installing both support arms.

Also I should mention that I do have my tower grounded as in
    NEC Figure 800(b),and code 810.21.

As far as getting any service work from the installer I did talk with him. He was very cool and lives near by. He said if i need any help with the dish realignment just give him a call. I still prefer to work on my own gear vs holes in my roof. Have a merry christmas 73's...:D

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Any other issues aside (and it looks like there aren't any) I say you win because you didn't mount it at the top of the tower for better reception. :p

12. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    It looks like the tower is mounted to the facia board, which isn't much support with high winds. just an observation, it could be mounted better elsewhere(we can't see it), but even the smallest movement can change reception on a sat.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Having an almost identical tower, I can assure you that at the point the dish is mounted, that puppy isn't going to move at all. There is a cement foundation (mine is 3' deep). It is much more secure/rigid than a pole mount. Even at the top, I don't think movement would be an issue for satellite reception.

14. bytor

bytor Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That is correct here are some pics of the base the tower is mounted to a 3 foot concrete base with 1 foot j bolts.

It is also attached to the fascia on 2 different sides. The tower is absolutely rock solid.

But I think I will add a longer strut and use both support arms. I am worried more about the dish arm flexing more than my tower moving. I have climbed that tower before and it is solid.

Attached Files:

15. bytor

bytor Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well got it done thanks for the help....:D

Attached Files:

16. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    no matter how solid the tower is, this new support arm setup is much better.

You say the tower is grounded per nec800, does that also mean that it is bonded to the house grounding?

got to ask.....

17. bytor

bytor Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    yes it is just like figure 800(b) NEC 2011