My sony display read dolby digital 3/2.1 is it 5.1?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by calikarim, Jan 27, 2004.

1. calikarim

calikarim Mentor

Nov 11, 2003
    i have a sony str de-995 do any of you out there have this receiver and what do you think of it. I had an Onkyo 801 $300 more than sony but its circuitry kept protecting and turning off. I like the sony it sounds great. 6.1 sound hard to get, i guess not too many movies coded for it. What drives me crazy is my display always reads dolby digital 3/2.1 does that mean my receiver is reading 5.1 or not! it is driving me crazy. It sounds like my surrouds are on why does it not say 5.1 :nono2:

2. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002

Hmmmm

Just a guess but I bet it is giving you a detailed breakdown on which speakers are currently active with this sound source. 3 fronts, 2 rears, 1 subwoofer.

Sounds like 5.1 to me.

3. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    I think ibglowin is right, it's just the way Sony is telling you 5.1. To check it out, you could try playing a DVD and setting the sound in the DVD menu to two channel stereo, it'll probably read 2/0 on the receiver display.

4. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    And remember with Sony receivers, always look for the "Blue Light" special. That for sure means your getting true 5.1 DD from the source.

5. Pete38

Pete38 Cool Member

Oct 24, 2002
    Hi all,

3/2.1 is Sony's way of saying 5.1. From a post from Agoraquest.com (a great resource for all things Sony):

"1. First, some nomenclature. There are several types of digital signals:
    - PCM usually refers to a 2-channel signal that is used on CD. It is also the signal that is output from a DVD player IF you haven't told it to output DD or DTS.
    - DD & DTS can be up to 6.1 channels (Sony and Panasonic display them as "3/3.1" - more on this). But they can be fewer than that. They can be 2/0.0, 3/2.0, 3/2.1, etc. For example, most DVD has at least two tracks. A DD 5.1 (3/2.1) and a DD 2.0 (2/0.0)
    - The first number is "3/2.1" refers to the number of front channels. Second is surround, or rear channels. The ".1" referes to the subwoofer. "3/2.1" is the same as "5.1", and "2/0.0" is the same as "2.0"."

The entire post with a lot more information can be seen here (it's about the 10th post down in the forum by "rkkwan"):

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8643&forum=50

Pete