1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my swm-8

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dodge boy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I am going to install my SWM-8 today... YEAH!!!!

my current multi-switch has 4 inputs from the dish going to it and 6 outputs coming out. Can I run 4 of the 6 outputs from the multi switch to the inputs on the SWM-8? Thst would allow me to use my DVR in my computer room to get my MPEG 4 locals instead of running it off of legacy ports, since that would prevent me from getting my locals there.
    Thanks...

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I'm confused. What DVR do you have in your computer room that gets MPEG4 locals? If it's MPEG4-compatible, it's also SWM-compatible. :confused:

3. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    It's an R22 but I am also putting 2 dvrs in my living room, 1 in my master bed room and 1 in my spair room, the bedrooms and living room would have 1 cable each. That's 5 DVRS 10 tuners total

4. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    I have an R22 in my computer room, (2 lines) I have a DVR in my bed room (1 line) Spare room DVR (1 line) and 2 lines in my living room (I want to add a 2nd DVR there too) If I add the SWM-8 downstream of my multi switch I will not need to run another line at all. I will still get 2 tuners on my 4 receivers with 1 line and I will still get my locals in the computer room, If I run that one off of legacy ports I won't.

5. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    can you run extra lines to some locations? You're going to be short 2 tuners with just the SWM8. If you can run the SWM8 parallel you'll have plenty of extra outlets

6. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    I have 2 lines to my computer room they will either be off the legacy ports or they will remain off the current switch I have if I can run the SWM-8 down stream of the switch and the power inserter will not hurt the original switch.
    My other 4 locations have 1 cable to each of them. My 2 in my living room will be SWM and my 2 bed rooms will also be SWM (8 tuners there total) I was trying to keep my locals in the computer room and do this as easy as possible. If it won't work down stream of the older switch I will run my computer room DVR off of legacy ports.

7. MrLatte

MrLatte Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    You can connect the WB68 multiswitch with a SWM-8 switch but you have to use 4 2-way splitters on the 4 cables prior to the switches - they both need all 4 inputs. Split each of the 4 cables first and then use 4 cables into the SWM-8 and 4 cables into the WB68. Also, don't forget to connect your power inserter downstream off of one of the SWM-8 outputs.

Here's a wiring diagram from Weaknees:
    http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/swm-wb68.pdf

8. dodge boy

Mar 31, 2006
    If I understand, I split the lines from the dish to the switch, and run 4 of those to each switch... Am I understanding this right? Do I need a special splitter?

Never mind I saw the sketch... Thanks

I can do them in parrallel but not in series.. I got it now (Bummer)

9. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    It's not hard. Click the link in my signature to see a pic of how I did it. The only trick is to ensure that when you split a line from the dish, each brach off the splitter goes to the same input on each switch, for all four lines. The splitters I used are less than $4 each.

10. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    The short answer to your question is yes, you can take four of the "outs" from your existing multiswitch and run those to your SWM-8 and things should work just fine. The use of the high-freq, pre-SWM/WB68 splitters will allow for more total tuner connections, but they do not appear to be necessary in your situation.

As indicated in my signature, I have a very similar setup.

11. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Agree with zkc16. You can run an SWM8 downstream of a WB68, it works fine, maybe it's not officially recommended, but it works. In fact it may work better than before, because the SWM8 would be supplying the power for the switch and the dish, rather than your receivers. Just be sure to hook up the power inserter correctly.

12. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Legacy ports don't pass the MPEG 4 sats, only the 101

13. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Nitpicking I know, but it also passes the 110 and 119 if using the Slimline5.

14. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    I stand corrected, thanks. But anyways,dodge boy, your plan to get the MPEG4 locals off your R22 won't work if you use the legacy ports

15. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You can also cascade the SWM8 off of the WB68.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    That's how I'm setup [SWM8 cascaded off of a WB68] and the SWM powers it all and now the DVR's temps are even lower.