"My Teams" recording erroneously using 4K channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rlnoonan, Feb 28, 2021.

1. rlnoonan

rlnoonan Legend

Jan 5, 2007
    This issue is similar to an old problem that DirecTV corrected quite a while ago. It used to be that when using My Teams to record all the games of your favorite team, the DVR would record from an RSN that you do not get and so you would get nothing. The Genie now successfully notices that the channel is blacked out and searches for another channel. For the most part, this works fine and it successfully records the game, even if it isn't on the channel I would prefer (for example, it commonly will record a Blackhawks game using an NHL Center Ice channel instead of my local RSN).

The problem is that every now and then (like last night), it finds the game on a Live4K channel. When this happens, it records the game on that channel and I'm screwed. The recording seems to work (doesn't get a black screen), but it is worthless to me because I cannot view it, as I'm not a 4K customer. Since the recording doesn't fail right away, it doesn't search for a another channel that I can view. I'm surprised that the Genie isn't smart enough to avoid this channel if you are not a 4K customer.

Does anyone know a way around this? I really wish we could enter some kind of preferred channel for the search to start with. For 90% of Blackhawks games that would be channel 665, but for some reason it always seems to default to the opponent's RSN, even if the channel number is higher. The other problem this causes is that I cannot anticipate when it is going to screw up with the 4K channel. When I look in the upcoming recordings, the games are usually shown as using the opponents RSN. I know it won't end up using that channel, but I don't have any way of figuring out what channel it will end up using. Fortunately it only occasionally tries to use the Live4K channel, but it is pretty frustrating when it does.

Thanks for any advice.

2. DMG

DMG Legend

Feb 7, 2008
    I have the exact same complaint and if there’s a workaround I’d love to know it. This seems like a bug that should be fixed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Mar 1, 2021 #3 of 11
    Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    I don't have an answer and I doubt anyone here will, either. You're going to be at the mercy of DTV engineers to get that fixed.

But, on a side note, the 4K broadcast last night (as well as others from Chicago and Denver for the Avs) was absolutely stunning.

4. Mar 1, 2021 #4 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    can you "Protect" 4k channels using Parent's restrictions ?

5. Mar 1, 2021 #5 of 11
    DMG

DMG Legend

Feb 7, 2008
    Darn it, I got bit by this again tonight with the Pelicans game! Very frustrating!

6. Mar 3, 2021 #6 of 11
    ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    I work around it, and other anomolies, by using an old HR24 to record my teams.

codespy likes this.
  7. Mar 3, 2021 #7 of 11
    DMG

DMG Legend

Feb 7, 2008
    [mention]ColdCase [/mention] I also use an HR-24 to record my favorite team. But I follow others as well and with 5 tuners the HR-44 makes that possible. But this 4K recording bug rears its head every now and then. A receiver that can’t play back 4K shouldn’t record it.

8. Mar 3, 2021 #8 of 11
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    "my Team" and Setting all Channels for SEASON 1 of any recording --will result in the same issue --THE D* DVR will record all shows even on channels you do NOT receive--That had been a problem since with the D*-HDVR software since it was released in 2006

9. Mar 3, 2021 #9 of 11
    codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Yea so why didn’t Earl ever help get that fixed, especially when he got hired by them? He was instrumental in the transition from the DirecTiVo’s to DirecTV’s own platform. :wink:

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Perhaps EARL was a Money Man only?

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No he want a money man. He’s the one who really got the very program started…. Before he even worked for DIRECTV.

codespy likes this.