1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My turn to complain about CSR incompetence

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tom Servo, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    Well, after 12 years I guess it was bound to happen, I have succumbed to CSR incompetence. :( Usually my experience with CSRs is very good and it's the service techs that make me wanna scream. Not this time…

Last week my HD channels started cutting out with a no signal message on screen. I checked and swapped BBCs, checked and swapped receivers, swapped cables all around and even bypassed the multiswitch, to no avail. (At first, 99, 103 and 119 would go to all 0's in the heat of the day, but come back at night. Then the even transponders would cut out even at night. Now 99 and 103 are all 0's and 119 is back.)

So I phone D* to schedule a service call, and use this opportunity to finally get an AM-21 shipped out. The CSR schedules my service for Monday (today) 12-4pm. Then she transfers me to someone else to handle the AM-21. This new CSR says I can't get it shipped, it just comes with installation, which is $100 total. Then she offers to waive that because I'm a longtime customer. Sweet. That install date is Sunday 12-4pm.

I bet you old timers see where this is going. ;)

Of course, an hour later I get an e-mail saying the installation is $100 and has been charged to my credit card. I call back only to find out they close the service lines at midnight. Shoot.

The next day I call and find out that the woman I'd talked to didn't order me an AM-21, but a OTA antenna with installation! I don't need that, so I cancel it and reverify that my Monday service call is still on, which she says yes, it is still in the computer.

Well, I take time off from work to sit at home for four hours this afternoon and the tech never shows up. So I call DirecTV and ask, “Where they at?”

The first CSR says that the service call is still in the computer, Monday 12-4pm but it got cancelled. Then I get transfered to tech support to figure out what happened. I get a line from them about how there can only be one service call at a time pending, even though she can see two on the computer screen. :confused:

Her spiel was that because one got canceled, it canceled both. Double-you-tee-eff kind of stupid setup is that??

The service call is now set up for Thursday 12-4pm and I get to take another unscheduled day off to sit and wait on a tech that may or may not show up.

And I get another few days without HD goodness, except for those few channels left on the 119 satellite that still work. :nono2:

After all this, I politely reiterate my disgust with this whole cluster-f of bad communication, hoping she'll credit me for the lost HD or something. No go. Nothing they can do for me. Oh well.

(To add insult to injury, I get the AM-21 after ordering off the website only to discover it cannot tune the channels I need because it only accepts two zipcodes/markets and I get channels split across three markets. So it's basically $50 down the drain. Whoever came up with this inane system should eat a bullet.)

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The HR20 only did 2 OTA markets. In the first look http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=123012 it's only two markets. So a bit confused as to why it came as a surprise to you that it only does two markets. :confused:

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your situation it's unfortunate that the person who canceled the order didn't ask you about the service call as well. Sounds like that person just assumed the service call was wrong, and an order was placed instead, without asking.

4. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Maybe because he DIDN'T READ the "first look?" :confused: Is that a DirecTV or DBSTalk prerequisite?

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Being a member for 2 years and seeing numerous threads about all sorts of issues. One might think that a quick search would be a good idea prior to ordering something to ensure there's nothing unknown. Obviously he didn't and is upset he wasted $50 but it's kind of like not reading reviews of something before you buy it. You usually do it once and then learn from that one time. The upside is the AM 21 is owned so it can be sold on ebay or something.

6. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008

I think the problem here is that most people assume a stand alone tuner will be able to scan for channels and not locked to only channels that DTV lets you view OTA.

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Correct as I suggested a search would have avoided that.

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    One certainly MIGHT think that now wouldn't one. It's possible another one might also not think it was necessary to check here first and simply think that it worked like a normal TV tuner and scanned all available channels that were hanging around in the air over his location. Many people here quite often tend to deflect the blame in the wrong direction.

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    He never stated that he asked if it scanned. He had a bad experience with ordering and the service call which could have been avoided by an agent asking a couple of quick questions. With a purchase of a piece of equipment I would never buy something without at least reading about it first just to get reviews. There are also many threads around here where people have already voiced their unhappiness that it doesn't scan. To each their own but ultimately if someone doesn't ask or do research they shouldn't be upset with anyone but themselves for purchasing something they didn't want. We've all done it before and it sucks. Like I said though at least it can be resold at a decent price to reduce the loss if he chooses not to keep it.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I think the whole issue of of the AM21 not working as the OP hoped is the secondary issue of his post. I would say the whole issue of them ordering the wrong thing, setting up appointments and then canceling them without telling him, and not helping him out in any way for having him waste a day is the bigger issue here.

- Merg

11. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I think CSRs should be required to pass a test each year produced by a highly experienced field tech and a member of DirecTV management.

This would hopefully put everyone on the same page.

At least make it like WildBlue University online testing where you see what you did wrong and can try 3 or 4 times to up your score.:)

I'm constantly having to learn new skills in this Ka band digital world,teaching the basics to people who are supposed to know the answers seems like a good thing to me.

12. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    You are 100% right to be ticked off. The AM21 SHOULD HAVE A CHANNEL SCAN FUNCTION ON IT!!!! But, unfortunately, it does not. Many of us have been raising that concern for over a year now to deaf ears. We get told we're idiots or whiners and no one watches OTA anymore. OK... whatever. If that were true the 54-750 MHz spectrum would have been sold off long ago. I digress.

Is the OTA channel scan this complicated to add in? I never heard of an OTA tuner that does not have this aside from the AM21. Whoever thought of this backward system of pulling OTA channel assignments and guide info from a less than accurate database maintained by Tribune Media/Zap2it? It works for satellite fine, but does not work for OTA very well. The should have used the same system for channel scans as the H20.

13. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    My only other D* OTA experience has been with a H20, a non-DVR. And it does scan channels.

I should have searched here first but didn't, so shame on me, but shame on them for having such a strange way of doing things. I'm positive I gandered at the first look back 2 years ago when it came out, but forgot everything I read. :lol:

The more serious issue was with the CSRs. And I voiced my displeasure with the contact form that was linked in another complaint thread. Sure enough, I got a call today with them offering to credit the account for the time I'll be without HD. They also said they'd be sending a lead tech to make sure the LNB issue is solved first time as well. It was a pleasant gesture.

I also took the opportunity to talk about the AM21's stupid software setup and the man said it was the first complaint he'd heard about it being limited to two markets. But he did say he'd forward that concern on to the engineering team. Even if they can't do anything to fix that issue, I'm happy knowing that someone cares enough to listen. :)

14. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    That is pretty much how they do it.

15. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    they ought to stop calling it a tuner and call it an adapter or something. too many people, myself included, equate tuner to being able to scan and tune.

16. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I'm going to agree with you Merg... and add one thing. The OP might already be getting locals from D* from one of the three markets. Then the AM21 could supplement with the other two markets that serve the area.

Regardless, 2 of the 3 markets will come in OTA with the AM21, so it's not like it's completely useless.

17. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    right, but it should be fixed. DirecTV can go a long way in keeping people loyal by creating an OTA tuner with channel scan and finally getting the HDDVRs to support multi-room viewing.

I really get the impression that D* has its own ideas in their heads and does not listen well to customer input.

18. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Seems entirely logical to me too........

19. bobcamp1

bobcamp1 Icon

Nov 8, 2007
    LOL. He also didn't ask if it took 120 VAC, 60 Hz, two-prong or three-prong plug, US or UK plug, or what type of connector the input antenna was, how much power it needed, etc. Plus, how do you know to search for things a product CAN"T do? On the first several Google hits, there is no mention of this limitation. I finally found a link on page 4 that talked about this limitation.

Not mention that it works differently than a similar product that he already owns. I didn't even know this, now I know that H20 > H21 + AM21.

20. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Only people who want to argue would ask those questions since if he was in UK he wouldn't be a DirecTV subscriber.

Aparently people asking questions to ensure you get exactly what you want is less common than I thought.