1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My uncle has Dish network

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by pez2002, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    so i went to my uncles house on my step fathers side for the first time and
    I looked @ the tv area and there it sat a dishnetwork Box Hooked up So after i ate dinner i went to check it out Here are a few things i noticed

(1 Low PQ the picture looked darker then on Directv My picture is Nice and Bright

(2 Confusing remote i could not work this thing for anything It was hard to change channels I knew none of the channel lineup

(3 the Receiver was Like a comcast Box really Big not small Like my Directv box I have a samsung box 2 of them in Fact

(4 Music channels they where in mono I did not like the range of music they had and the music sounded auful on The stereo

(5 i could not figure out what Package he had I think he has the cheapest one He does not watch tv alot but i guess he wants to save money

(6 he had one room hooked up with dishnetwork Do they do one room installs ????

Disclamer This post was not to Bash any dish network Subs in anyway so please do not send me Hate mail :lol:

2. Orcatek

Orcatek Legend

May 1, 2003
    1) hard to say if this is really true - unless both sets are adjusted the same
    2) I had the same problem with when I tried to use D* as it is different.
    3) Some of the boxes are big - don't know which one he has
    4) There are a large number of stereo music channels - you probably just chose the onse that are on mono for commerical users
    5) agreed
    6) yes they will do a single room if that is all you want.

3. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    If he had "mono" music channels he had at180 or better

4. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    I have Dish Network and my brother has DirecTV and when I go to his house I just about can't operate the thing as it is confusing to me. When he comes to my house he can't hardly operate mine. It is just what you are used to using.

The darkness and picture quality depends on if he is using S-Video, RCA inputs, COAX, or component video. They all make the picture better/worse depending on what is used. When I had Kansas City local channels, my picture quality on them was awesome, and his picture quality of Kansas City was not as good (more pixilation).

As for the music channels, it is a known fact that Muzak isn't the best. The mono channels say "mono" next to them, what more do you want them to say? The CD Channels have good quality, but it is still Muzak and not a lot of variety. When the Sirius Satellite Radio channels launch later this spring I think DISH will have the superior music channels. Also, depending on how the audio is connected, that will have an impact on the sound quality.

My honest opinion... I think DirecTV and Dish Network are pretty much the same, with each having their own unique bonuses and each have different draw backs.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Mike, did you try tweaking your father-in-law's uncle's TV set for a better picture, or would that have skewed the results of your unbiased report? For your father-in-law's uncle, it's probably just television.

6. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002

No i did not do anything

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Stupid question, but is the receiver hooked up to the TV via a coax cable? If it is, then all you will get is mono audio. With the exception of the 522 and 322, there is no MTS encoder for the stereo, so the audio will be mono. Unfortunately, if it's a older TV, that may be the only input.

The lineup is quite different from DirecTV's, so locating the channel would be a problem. Too bad there isn't a way to sort the list alphabetically.

8. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    to tell you the truth i dont know what kind of wiring was Being uesd what i can tell you is the dish is in the back yard I wonder why mabye he thinks someone would steal the dish lol

9. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    1) It's the television.
    2) Nearly any remote is confusing the first time you pick it up.
    3) The old boxes were quite large, current basic boxes (non pvr) are quite small. He must have an older system. A 301 receiver is under 2" tall.
    4) The majority of audio channels are stereo. As someone else stated, if it is hooked up with the coax, the audio is always mono.
    5) He is getting what ever package contains the channels he is receiving. If he has the audio service he has at least AT120.
    6) Yes.

It appears that you are looking for problems where one doesn't exist. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.