1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N00b needs help!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tonyinvc, Jul 25, 2010.

1. tonyinvc

tonyinvc Cool Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I'm new to DTV (about 1 hour old) and I'm curious as to what bells and whistles does the "advanced" HD DVR receiver has. Also is it necessary to pay the 1 time fee of 25.00 for the TV internet connection service? Won't the installer simply hook up the receiver to my router?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Start here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=151213

The installer will hook up an adapter to your router *IF* you order it on your install, and are also installing a Connected Home system (i.e. at least one HD DVR and a second HD receiver or DVR). As to what they charge, its all negotiable when you contract the install, but $25 sounds about right for the adapter.

3. jab5325

jab5325 Cool Member

Apr 14, 2010
    I'd never pay the $25 for the internet connection kit.

Unless you want a wireless connection, just get a piece of CAT5 cable and run it to your router. Works just the same and will save you money.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida

:welcome_s to dbstalk

By being one hour new to Directv I am not sure if you have had your install yet or just placed an order.

The internet connection service is part of the Whole Home DVR service where you can watch shows on any receiver or DVR. The interconnect connection is optional but that is normally part of the whole home service installation.

If you are getting more than one HD DVR, meaning other DVR's and/or receivers, I recommend doing this whole home dvr service at the same time and getting it connected to the internet. The internet connection isn't necessary but adds Video on Demand to the whole home DVR service.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    First of all...
    :welcome_s

Since we're not certain which model you have.... more information on the benefits and features on the most recent HD DVRs is contained via this link to another thread - including a downloadable piece on the HR24 unit, the most recent HD DVR in the DirecTV inventory.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=172657

If you have another model HD DVR...there are also links to previous models there as well.

A "standard" DirecTV service installation alone does NOT include connection to your router/network, unless you contracted for the (optional) Whole Home DVR service (WHDS) and Internet connection service. That also will result in a $3 monthly service fee. That said, some installers go beyond the call of duty and help out with such connections if they can.

This is a great thread of information about WHDS:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=178068

6. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    That isn't entirely true or necessarily a good idea. Many people have found that by adding that kit they have received HR24's and SWiM, especially folks that have been customers on legacy installations. However, even new installs seem to have a much better chance of getting a HR24 installed when they also have the Whole Home system installed rather than using the unsupported ethernet solution.

In the long run it could be a very well spent $25.00.

7. tonyinvc

tonyinvc Cool Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Thank you all very much for the info and welcoming me to the forum. I could literary spend days reading the post and comments.

8. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    This works fine with an all ethernet network for VOD/MRV, but will not work for those on an all HX24 setup with whole home. Attaching an ethernet cable disables the HX24's internal DECA and will disrupt MRV. The supported way to "inject" internet for anyone with a DECA setup is with a DECA dongle attached to the router.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That's right, you do need the Internet Connection Kit if you're on SWM or have HR24s.