NAB Chief Gordon Smith Chides AT&T And Dish Network For Broadcast Blackouts

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dennispap, Jul 23, 2019.

1. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
  2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    He's full of Sh*t. These disputes are 100% driven by the content owners and their greed.

gregleg, ibjimbo, AZ. and 2 others like this.
  3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    The NAB is in on the money...They always have been...It does come down to greed. No doubt about it. I wish we would revert back to the "Must Carry" era,. where there were no fees. The viewer is the one who loses out every time. I suggest to people if you can, add an OTA antenna. That way you will have at least some of your locals if not all.

ibjimbo, badger04 and dennispap like this.
  4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    One thing I have always setup when possible - OTA capability to go along with my dish. Precisely for this reason.

tsmacro and badger04 like this.
  5. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    If DirecTV were to offer me the option to cancel my locals and just use the LCC and an antenna, I would drop them in a second. Our Fox channel in Eastern Iowa has been off since late May, and I have not missed them at all. I know that this option would not work for everyone, but I sure know I'd use it.

6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    With Dish, I think locals are an option, if I remember correctly. Direct does not offer locals as an option?

7. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Yes, locals are a $12/mo option on Dish...

ibjimbo likes this.
  8. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Mystery Man is right. All DISH did was refuse to pay for more HBO subscriptions than they had subscribers. AT&T was the villian in that case. Now AT&T is refusing to pay the extraordinarily high fees demanded by CBS. The content providers are in the driver's seat in these battles. And it's getting worse. Consumers are always caught in the middle.

gregleg and badger04 like this.
  9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    These station owners are so greedy and they want anywhere from a 50% to 100% increase in fees during the contract renewals. There has to be a limit. I feel all satellite and cable services need to sell locals separately. Whatever the market price is, $10 a month, $20 a month, etc. Then the customer can decide if they want to buy them, or get them OTA if possible. If the fees get too high, then the stations will lose viewers. If someone wants a certain program, they can stream the program from many sources. But this will stop the blackouts. The customer will decide if they want to pay the month to get locals.

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I can confirm that locals are optional. I do not pay for my locals as the transmitter towers are visible out my window. I still get guide data (unlike in the 00's when you had to pay for locals to get guide data on your E* DVR).

11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    My OTA guide for Portland translators on the vip211k is now really messed up and several stations have no guide, so I bought I bought the Amazon Recast that gives me an accurate 2 week guide for all 16 OTA channels.

12. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I have messed up guide data for all the channels that got "repacked". The "host channel" guide is duplicated on the guest channel's guide, even the subs are wrong for the guest channel.

13. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    The interesting thing is that only 2 Portland channels changed frequency, 2 & 6. The others 8,10.12,49 did not. The line up of the 2.1-2.4 and 6.1-6.3 all stayed the same. No changes, so why are all of the main Portland station guides messed up? Only the few diginets with guides are accurate. I believe the Amazon ReCast gets their info for the OTA station. The guide easily goes out 2 weeks. Too bad Dish cannot use the same guide info.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Your TRANSLATORS are likely the issue. I'd like to see what people get when receiving the channels directly. As I have explained, DISH uses an ID embedded in the transmission to identify the channel. If the station gets that number wrong, there is no match.

15. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I don't know that as everyone in the PDX area I know that has Dish gets the locals on Dish. I am sure that are some that get them OTA.

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    In the end, it's the paying subscribers who lose in terms of increased bills. When I moved a few months ago, I made sure of a couple of things. One was that I had network cabling installed in certain key rooms (yes, they gave me a strange look when I wanted eight lines run from the closet to a bedroom that I'm using as my "corner office"), the other was to have an antenna run to room which will become a home theater room and the master bedroom partially for the network disputes. One thing that I didn't do is transfer my subscription of DirecTV. The price that I was paying for the channels I was barely watching was too high.

The other issue I have is the amount of compelling content is available from the broadcast networks. In terms of sports programming, the compelling content is NFL, and it easily fits into the schedule, with most games taking place on a Sunday. The other big sports (baseball, basketball, hockey) is now almost completely on the Regional $ports Networks or cable channels. If you take a look at this ratings chart, the top rated show of the 2017-2018 season was The Big Bang Theory with an 11.1 rating. That is slightly lower than the number 30 show of the 1995-1996 season which was The Dana Carvey Show with a 11.2 rating, while ER had a 22.0 rating. Jumping further back to the 1970s, your show had to have a rating of 19.x-20.x just to crack the top 30, otherwise the likelihood of cancellation increased.

Want another measuring stick? Just look at this year's Emmy nominations. HBO had 137 nominations, Netflix had 117 nominations, with NBC a distant third with just 58 nominations.

17. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Funny though, the OTA guide is accurate on the TV set, so the guide coming off the translators are correct, except the TV sets do not offer enough memory to have much of a guide. The Recast does go out 2 weeks and is accurate, but I have no idea where they get the guide from. The TV stations go out at least 2 weeks, so the Recast may use the OTA guide.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'd like to see a TSReader capture for your translators. It would help show what the station is actually broadcasting.

19. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    How would I go about that? According to the CE's the station's guides all go out for at least 2 weeks. Unfortunately my TV set only shows the current and next program. I bought a little outboard digital tuner and that OTA guide works about 24 hours. The Fire Recast does go on 2 weeks.

20. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You would need to get an ATSC tuner card/ USB attached ATSC tuner (Hauppage makes some) and get the TSReader program (or at least TSReader Lite) to do those captures.

The Fire TV Recast is probably downloading the guide from an online source.