1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Names of towns and cities that surrond local market areas

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Amy Nichols, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Amy Nichols

Amy Nichols New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Hi,
    I am doing some researches on local channels provided by DirecTV. I have read about over 150 local market areas of DirecTV such as Albany, Oklahoma etc. But I want to know the names of all towns and cities that are included within each local market areas of the satellite TV provider. In other words I want the list consisting of all towns and cities with names of their own local markets within which they are included. I know there are ZIP codes for each locations but I want the names of towns and cities that surround the DirecTV local market areas to be sure or to confirm which location falls under what market area. If anyone can help me, I will be highly grateful. Please help me out.
    Thanks in advance
    Amy

2. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    That is a pretty tall order. You would basically be looking for the DMA attached to every city in the US. DMA maps are highly protected by copyrights. I don't think you will find "the list" easily.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I get oklahoma city locals here...

good luck!

4. Amy Nichols

Amy Nichols New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Ok I get you. Is there any other way through which I can find the names of towns and cities? I tried finding out the DMAs but as you told they are not easily available. Is there any kinds of map or others where I can locate for my reqd info.
    Thanks in advance.

5. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    If you could drill down to a few DMAs, the task may be do-able. Your request, as it stands, covers nearly every city in the US. Take, for example, the Phoenix, AZ DMA. Aside from south-east Arizona (covered by the Tucson DMA) every other city in the state of Arizona is in the Phoenix DMA. Los Angeles DMA is huge, as is the SF/San Jose DMA.

There was a guy who had complete DMA maps, but those were requested to be taken down by Nielson.

6. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Since this be available from the Federal Government, since they regulate what locals can be shown in which DMAs?

7. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    This is the best "readily available" data.

http://www.truckads.com/licensed_affiliates1.asp

Doctor j

8. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
  9. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I use the truckads.com site posted by doctor j.

10. Amy Nichols

Amy Nichols New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Hi all,
    Thanks a lot for all your suggestions and references that were really really helpful. I have gone through all and they were awesome. Each Local market area has a network number. I guess, these network numbers can help us finding the channels available in various locations.

11. doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.

Great site!

I use FCC a lot but hadn't seen that list

Doctor j

12. doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=181801

See NetworkList in this post.

Doctor j

13. Amy Nichols

Amy Nichols New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Hi,
    What is the difference between DMAs named Washington DC and DC Washington as they are given in the list suggested by doctor j. Also, I am unable to determine the county names under Honolulu DMA. Please help.
    Thanks in advance.
    Amy.

14. doctor j

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Uncertain what you are asking in first part. Washington DC is DMA name for DC , Maryland, Virginia areas surrounding National Capital.

All of Hawaii is Honolulu DMA.

Per wikapedia 5 Counties in Hawaii.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Hawaii

1) Hawaii County
    2) City of Honolulu
    3) Kalawao County (leper colony on Molokai) smallest county in USA Pop-147
    4) Kauai County
    5) Maui County