1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASA, NOAA Say Solar Cycle 24 Has Arrived

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by K4SMX, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    "With the appearance of Sunspot 981 - a high-lattitude, reversed polarity sunspot - on Friday, January 4, experts at NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said that Cycle 24 is here now. 'This sunspot is like the first robin of spring,' said solar physicist Douglas Biesecker of the Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC), part of NOAA. 'In this case, it's an early omen of solar storms that will gradually increase over the next few years.' ......"

"......NASA's (David) Hathaway, along with colleague Robert Wilson at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco last month, said that Solar Cycle 24 'looks like it's going to be one of the most intense cycles since record-keeping began almost 400 years ago.' They believe the next solar maximum should peak around 2010 with a sunspot number of 160, plus or minus 25. 'This would make it one of the strongest solar cycles of the past 50 years - which is to say one of the strongest in recorded history.' ....."

".....violent solar eruptions occur more often on the Sun during an active period. According to NASA, solar flares and vast explosions, known as coronal mass ejections, shoot energetic photons and highly-charged matter toward Earth, jolting the planet's ionosphere and geomagnetic field. This has the potential to effect power grids, critical military and airline communication, satellites and Global Positioning System (GPS) signals....."

".....Many forecasters believe Solar Cycle 24 will be big and intense. 'Solar cycles usually take a few years to build to a frenzy and Cycle 24 will be no exception. We still have some quiet times ahead,' said Hathaway."

_________
    Source: QST Magazine, March 2008, p. 59, "Happenings"

2. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Huh. I knew it. When I look at the sun, I see spots for hours afterwards. This only confirms what I already knew. 400 years ago I saw no spots, now I see all kinds !

3. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    And with increased solar cycle activity comes an increase in global temperatures on Earth. National Geographic had a special on not too long ago that discussed this. While some disagreed, the consensus of most was that solar activity was the only thing that could be proved to affect this planet's climate on such a global scale.

And no conservation or other politically sensitive solution can stop it. Well, there is one solution: we can just turn off the Sun at night. :D

4. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    It'll probably be a bit longer then before you can emerge from your "Global Warming Station". :)

5. markman07

markman07 Godfather

Dec 22, 2005
    Minnesota
    Should I load up on Duct tape or was that for something else?

6. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    On the other hand, things still look rather quiet:

"The sun has gone quiet, really quiet."

Maybe things are about to cool off - both sun spot and temperature wise.

7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Yeah! Maybe 15m and 10m will be useful again. I remember all the fun I had with 10m DX to Europe back in the early 90s.

8. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007
    And tonight, for at least a couple of hours, we can turn off the moon as well!

:gott: http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/lunar.html

9. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
  10. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I thought it was vice versa, more sun spots, cooler earth.

11. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Not according to the NG special I watched. In fact, they cited several global cooling periods of the last 2000 years, and each corresponded--perhaps not coincidentally--with a lull in sunspot activity.

Interesting.

12. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    If we are going to now talk about global warming, and man's effects, how many of you know that between 800 and 1200AD, Scandinavia, Iceland, Scotland, and the high country of England and Wales, farming became common in regions which neither before nor since have yielded crops reliably. In Iceland, oats and barley were cultivated. In Norway, farmers were planting further north and higher up hillsides than at any time for centuries. Greenland was 4deg. to 7deg.F warmer than at present and settlers could bury their dead in ground which is now permanently frozen.
    I wonder how long before Al Gore claims credit for that.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No, we're not. Not in the General Satellite forum.

:backtotopic

14. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Some of the things that they're talking about with this sun cycle are pretty scary...

"...energetic photons and highly-charged matter toward Earth, jolting the planet's ionosphere and geomagnetic field. This has the potential to effect power grids, critical military and airline communication, satellites "

I think the cable companies put the sun up to this! :grin:

15. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Ah, but the cable companies get their signals by satellite also, the same satellites used by the satellite companies to receive their programming. :D

16. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Ouch, summarily spanked by a mod :p

I wonder how many of us with good OTA setups are going to be glad we have them, or can this also reach all the way to terrestial OTA ?

17. N5XZS

N5XZS Legend

Apr 25, 2002
    Good news for ham radio DXing!!!:D :D :goodjob:

2-21-08

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.