1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASA TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by EVAC41, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 #1 of 76
    EVAC41

EVAC41 Legend

Jun 27, 2006
    While watching NASA TV a message came on the bottom of the screen saying on Aug 3rd they will be moving NASA TV to a new satellite that requires an HD reciever and HD access and to call a number (Can't remember what that number is). That would be nice to have NASA TV in HD.

2. Jun 7, 2011 #2 of 76
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    It is not going to be in HD. It is just moving from mpeg2 on satellite 101 to mpeg4 on 99 or 103 (or so it has been reported elsewhere here). Only HD dvrs and receivers can receiver mpeg4 formatted transmissions, even if they are SD (such as Free Speech TV).

Requiring $10 HD access to get the SD channel, is another can of worms.

3. Jun 7, 2011 #3 of 76
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    I'm interested in what its bandwidth and picture resolution will be after the transition to mpeg4. If it will stay downressed and still get bitstarved, or if it will be full res and given sufficient bandwith to look like SD actually should.

4. Jun 8, 2011 #4 of 76
    RMichals

RMichals Legend

Sep 27, 2008
    Who cares, nasa tv should go the way of the dodo after the final mission instead of funding a 24/7 channel.

5. Jun 8, 2011 #5 of 76
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    There is a lot more to NASA than the Space Shuttle. Its a distribution channel for a lot of educational programs used in schools, as well as a reporting outlet for various unmanned missions. It looks awesome on C-band in HD.

6. Jun 8, 2011 #6 of 76
    Terry K

Terry K Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    I wouldn't be so convinced its not going HD on D*. Since they're providing it on a MPEG-4 format and (I don't think it is legal since its a PI channel) requiring HD access to get it, and available in HD, why NOT offer it as such?

We've heard the Pentagon Channel HD will be offered on D*, so NASA is no stretch.

Commentary: http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3241/~/is-nasa-tv-still-available-on-directv? hints that it will remain SD (so it won't be for me...I don't watch SD anything). The other question is why not move another one of those religious channels off to MPEG4?

What cheeses me off here is that its available in HD, but D* refuses to add it as such. I do not want to watch SD programming because the pic quality is SO inferior to HD and everything is heading that way to begin with, so I figure the less SD out there the more likely people are to convert.

Say it with me now...IF ITS NOT IN HD, ITS NOT FOR ME....

7. Jun 8, 2011 #7 of 76
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The D* web site:

Yes, DIRECTV will still offer NASA TV on Channel 289. However, starting August 3, 2011, NASA TV will only be available to customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and are subscribed to HD Access ($10/month). But please note: NASA TV will remain a standard definition channel.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/searc...+TV+Channel&homeSearch.x=15&homeSearch.y=11to

Looks like the message you got was marketing ploy to make you think you need to upgrade-when in fact you only need to remain calm.

8. Jun 8, 2011 #8 of 76
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    On the question of legality, there are existing MPEG-4 format PI channels that require HD access to get. NASA would not be any different. The law does not require MPEG-2 format. The way DirecTV is providing PIs in MPEG-4 is perfectly legal.

The law requires satellite providers to set aside a certain percentage of their channels for PIs. Note, not bandwidth but channels. DirecTV is providing channels on the MPEG-4 satellites ... some of those channels have been set aside for PI use. If a PI channel wishes to use those channels they pay a base rate for the channel and DirecTV carries them.

Since the service is for customers who get MPEG-4 channels having the PI channels in MPEG-4 fits in perfectly. DirecTV is required to provide PIs to their customers, not free to anyone who can receive the signal. Limiting reception to MPEG-4 customers isn't a problem.

I'll believe Pentagon in HD when I see it.

In the eyes of god (in this case the FCC) all PI channels are equal. They are all pay for play channels.

Everything will be in HD eventually ... and I agree that NASA HD would be a good PI channel to be the first ever carried in HD by any satellite provider. But I suspect the price tag for HD carriage (more bandwidth) would be higher than the pricetag for SD carriage ... so it would be up to NASA to pay a higher rate - if DirecTV offered the option. Tango?

NASA leaving the MPEG-2 satellite is an interesting concept. I have not inventoried DirecTV's PI channels, but they need to stay within the range of required channels. Perhaps they had more PIs than they needed?

The good news that HD or not it should look a lot better in MPEG-4.

9. Jun 8, 2011 #9 of 76
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Actually, unless he has MPEG-4 equipment he needs to upgrade. NASA TV will not be available to DirecTV customers without MPEG-4.

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Well then this is misleading information:

The D* web site:

Yes, DIRECTV will still offer NASA TV on Channel 289. However, starting August 3, 2011, NASA TV will only be available to customers who have DIRECTV HD equipment and are subscribed to HD Access ($10/month). But please note: NASA TV will remain a standard definition channel.

It is NOT saying that D* is no longer offering the SD Channel giving the impression that Nasa TV SD channel will remain in the line-up?

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    How is it misleading. It will still be SD but in MPEG4, which requires an HD setup (they should rename it to MPEG4 setup since not all you get with an MPEG4 setup is HD).

12. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Yeah and according to Nasa's site:

"NASA TV now has a full-time HD Channel available at no cost to cable and satellite service providers."

So why the heck won't D* add it already??? :(

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Because free is not free. Costs are still involved in retransmitting the channel. Evidentally, DirecTV thinks it will not matter if it is in SD or HD.

14. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    That article didnt say directv will carry the pentagon channel in HD on that day....pentagon channel just said they will go HD that day....directv might just do SD.

15. mluntz

mluntz Icon

Jul 13, 2006
    Personally I could care less for either channel, but for those who are interested, congrats.

16. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    If you could care less than you are still somewhat interested until you couldnt care less. :D

17. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    if its in SD only. then why do you have to pay for the HD access?

18. sunking

sunking Godfather

Feb 17, 2004
    Because this is yet another way to upsell customers. They figure that people who care about NASA tv at all and aren't currently paying the $10/mo will sign up for it and the numbers are so small overall that any complaints will get lost in the static.

This is a sliminess that even the cable companies haven't stooped to.

19. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I only watch NASA TV for shuttle launches and landings, but charging an HD access fee for an SD channel does seem to be somewhat slimey.

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Didn't cable companies start to require a box (extra money) to get access to stations once on analog tiers?