NASCAR 2019

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by James Long, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Feb 7, 2019 #1 of 20
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Big changes this year ... but I'll start with one that is off the track. NASCAR Race Hub on FS1.

Race Hub has moved to a new studio. A green screen. Some times I wish I didn't know. The floor and backgrounds do not exist in the room where the hosts and guests interact. The software is doing a good job of making the angles look natural ... but don't expect anyone to be wearing green.

#1 on track change ... don't cheat.
    I hate the term cheating when applied to NASCAR. I prefer "rules violation". I also get annoyed when people talk about teams "breaking the law" when they violate rules. The rules are not laws. At worst the teams would be guilty of a contract violation - violating their contract with NASCAR where they agreed to follow the rules - not violating a law.

Pushing the limits is an important part of the sport. The focus is on pushing the limits of human skill and endurance along with engineering vehicles that can perform better than any other vehicle on the track and working strategies that outwit other teams. Unfortunately some see "pushing the limits" as "cheating" and use the derogatory word.

I would not say that a person driving 60 in a 55 MPH zone on a public highway was cheating. I would say that they were breaking a rule (in that case, a law). "Cheating" should be reserved for the worst cases of blatant violations - losing three lug nuts is not cheating.

That being said, if the teams are found to be in violation of the rules after the end of the race they don't win. Violators are disqualified. Last place points and money for any violators, including stage points. And this year's twist is everyone moves up to fill the disqualified positions. Including awarding race wins, stage wins and all the points.

The good news that ("except in rare instances") that disqualification will not happen on Wednesday. The stupidity of waiting until Wednesday to see if the winner gets to keep their win will end this year. NASCAR will tech three cars (1st, 2nd and a random car) immediately following the race and declare an official winner and finishing order within 90 minutes. (An exception would be if a problem is found in an engine. In that case the penalties would be handed out later.)

#2 Pass inspection and qualify
    No more crew suspensions. Which were becoming pointless since the suspended person could still work on the car prior to its arrival at the track and could still advise and make decisions relating to how the car was running. Now there will be a start at the back with a pass through penalty at the end of lap 1. I would have started cars at the back and held them for a lap (one lap down) but the pass through is a step in the right direction.

#3 New aero package
    Everyone seemed to love it at last year's All Star race. Hopefully it will improve the racing.

I am tired of NASCAR "tightening up" the field. The chase was created to put the top 10 closer together. Adjustments have expanded that to 16 drivers (nearly half of the field) and made it impossible for a driver to walk away with a championship as easily as they did in years past. I didn't mind when the best drivers and teams could dominate. Winning a race with 2nd place a lap down or winning a championship the week before the final race does not bother me. It shows that driver and team are just that good. Now that is gone ... it is all about being in position and winning one specific race. The most excellent season means nothing of one of the other four cars crosses the line in front of the best driver of the season in the final race.

I am glad that Joey won last year's championship ... but "the big three and me" turned in to the big three not winning. That sort of comeback would not have been so easy prior to the multi-round playoffs and certainly not possible before the chase. Is that good?

2. Feb 7, 2019 #2 of 20
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  3. Feb 8, 2019 #3 of 20
    fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    Why dont they just put peddles in the cars and be done with it ???

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS

That should make the racing closer.

5. codespy

codespy The Pack is getting sacked!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    We don't watch much Nascar these days, especially with our hometown boy Kenseth retiring (again). He would do a stint on the morning sports talk show in Milwaukee once a week during the season for many years, and he was great to listen to. Now that is done yet again.

And that came several years after Dick Trickle retired (from Wisconsin too). Who could ever forget a name like that? :)

I watched a little bit of the Clash race today, and don't like that FOX still kills the left side of the screen with the statistics. I wish they would have moved back to the top or at least the bottom of the screen. Our household still prefers the previous version of the Clash, when it was the Bud Shootout held the Saturday Night before qualifying. The first big race of the season- as night-racing. Those days are gone for now. Nielson will not get a lot of ratings from our house for Nascar this year, unfortunately for these and other reasons.

We will tune into the truck series here and there for another Wisconsin driver (Sauter), but it will be hit or miss at best, for only a couple of races.

It's just not what it used to be. :(

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I was driving during the race so I listened to it on the radio. The rain won. :)

I did record the race and watched the ending for myself to see Jimmy "pass" Menard. Jimmy was back above the yellow line and stayed ahead of the other surviving drivers. I don't believe Jimmy could have avoided crossing the double yellow. If it wasn't for the wreck the race would have been fairly boring ... a lot of follow the leader and red flags for damp track. The rain at the end was worth ending the race for - especially with most of the field wrecked.

The wreck would probably be a bigger issue if it was a points race. That starts next week. Nice trophy Jimmie ... now get one that counts! :D
    (And congrats to Chad for giving his new driver a car that could win the pole.)

(Unrelated - But today's trip in the car was to return something I bought at Lowes and buy something at Menards. Transactions completed long before the incident.)

7. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I, for one, like having the standings on the side of the screen. It allows me to keep better track of where my favorite drivers (and their rivals) are running, instead of having to wait for the crawl to scroll through a bunch of people I don't care about. If I look aside for just a second, I miss it, then have to wait several minutes for it to scroll around again. It's easier to see who's moving up and who's moving down, too. It's not like they are covering up any action.

jimmie57 likes this.
  8. codespy

codespy The Pack is getting sacked!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I see your point, and it is a valid one, but everybody dips their Oreo cookie a little differently. For me, it looks like/goes back to the Pillar Box days of TV watching on the old 4:3 ratio. The only difference with this and last year (on FOX) is the right side is wide open. I feel like I have to adjust my eyes constantly when watching on FOX compared to NBC/other broadcasts.......

9. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    I’m just glad the 500 had mostly side by side racing and it wasn’t follow the leader like the Clash and Duels were.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I like it also.
    Before they ever did this I put my Task Bar on my monitor in the vertical direction on the left side.
    My reasoning was that I have a lot more space horizontal than I do in the vertical direction and the percentage of screen lost was less.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, there were lots of position changes during the race. Mikey Likes it.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Anybody having trouble with their Series for the racing ?
    I believe the titles used to start with "NASCAR Racing". Now they don't. Almost none of the practice, qualifying and racing set itself to record. I had to do them all manually.
    ????????????

EDIT: I deleted all the ones I had and reselected one from each type of car / truck and double pressed each of them. They picked up all upcoming I think.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My timers set in 2012 (local Fox), 2013 (FS1) and 2016 are finding "NASCAR Racing" for the cup series. I had to recreate the "NASCAR XFINITY Series" timers in 2017. (DISH Network)

In the past I have had problems with the Daytona 500 because it was in the EPG differently than other races. There is an internal "series number" separate from the title that the receivers use to recognize a saved series. If that series number is changed the programs may not be matched. (A "seek" timer that is truly name based and not a saved series relies on the program title.)

14. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I have the opposite problem. I don't want practice, qualifying, or Xfinity races, but my Hopper records them anyway, and I have to go and manually tell it to skip them.

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am now mostly fast forwarding thru the practices unless someone loses control and I stop it to see the spin / wall hit / etc.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have been watching less NASCAR over the past couple of years ... I'm losing interest. I have not watched a truck race in two years (although I did record Eldora ... I believe it is still on the DVR). I have also skipped most of the Xfinity races. (I miss the good old days when anyone could race at any time - and even run for championships in multiple series. NASCAR listened to the haters and my favorite driver - Carl Edwards - drove less.) I watched most of the cup races last year - but not all of them.

Practices and qualifying? It has been a while since I watched them. There has to be nothing else on TV and nothing recorded that I want to watch to bother with qualifying. The "big wrecks" are going to get replayed most times - or I can catch them online (NASCAR.COM).

17. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    The change I hate the most is the later start times. I wish they'd go back to 1:00 ET, at least for races in the ET zone. Yeah, it's a national sport now, and many tracks have lights so it's not as critical to finish in daylight, but Left Coasters are able to deal with 1:00 ET starts for NFL games. Waiting until 3, and sometimes even 3:30, for the race to even start, messes up my whole afternoon and evening. I want it over and done with in time to make a nice Sunday dinner instead of scrambling to throw something together at 6:30 or 7:00.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    USA TODAY-nascar-kyle-busch-199-wins.PNG
    [source]
    When I saw the chart I was surprised at how high Harvick is. The "total wins in NASCAR" race didn't seem to be a thing until the beginning of last week when Kyle hit 197. People remember the "cup wins" total.

For the past two weeks I've been hearing people say that Kyle's 200 is not the same as the King's 200 - which instantly asks the question: Which one is better? It is a shame that there has to be a "better". There has been some trash talk, diminishing some of Petty's wins because they were short races or small fields in an era where NASCAR ran a lot more races per year and counted even smaller races as "cup" races. Kyle's number is being diminished because most of his wins are in "minor league" series races. Petty won 92 races in five years where NASCAR had 248 races and there was no "minor league" until 1982 (no trucks until 1995).

Pearson would have won more if he had run more. I see three great drivers ... four if one counts Kevin Harvick who has his name on the "total wins" chart without much hoopla. They all have more wins than the people who are diminishing their records. :)

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They are all top notch for me. It is hard to compare the drivers when it covers so much elapsed time and some still driving. Jimmie Johnson is not done yet. If he can win again and get into the playoffs he still has a chance to be an 8 time champion.
    I think there are a lot more talented drivers than there were back in Petty's time. So many more rules today that did not exist in Petty's day. The competition is stiff. Lots of young aggressive drivers in the fields. An example is like Cole Custer beat Kyle yesterday in the Xfinity race and 2 or 3 others were right on their tails.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One of my annoyances with NASCAR is that they keep changing the rules to make it harder for any driver to consistently win the championship. <500 word rant omitted.>

jimmie57 likes this.