NASCAR 2020

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by James Long, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Feb 6, 2020 #1 of 13
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Where to begin ...

Lets start in Indianapolis, where track owner Roger Penske is opening the road course for the Xfinity race. There was a lot of talk before Mr Penske bought IMS about using the road course ... with a lot of people against the idea since the whole point of going to Indy is to race the classic track. We have also been hearing for the past couple of years how hard it would be (at Charlotte) to have a road course and oval race on the same weekend. So it is extra special that IMS will be pulling off the feat (changing from the Xfinity road course to the Cup oval in 90 minutes).

Condensed weekends ... time at the track will be reduced this year with more impound racing. Race what was qualified, no adjustments and re-teching the cars. Same day qualifying will also be used at some events. Pocono will race two Cup races with the same cars!

Hall of Fame ... a good induction ceremony with all five inductees related (through work) to each other in some way. And the last time five people will be inducted. New rules for next year's class, two of ten nominated "modern era" candidates will be enshrined and one of five nominated "pioneer" candidates will be enshrined. Which means a lot less people in the hall of fame going forward.

There are two people who I feel may be overlooked, perhaps permanently, due to the HOF rule change. Carl Edwards and Janet Guthrie.

In the past couple of years I have been hearing about how instrumental Danica Patrick was to the sport - as if she was some sort of pioneer. But her time in Nascar came in an era where sexism was bad, not normal. Janet Guthrie fought open discrimination and paved the way for many women, including Danica, to enter the sport as equals. I feel that Janet has a place in the HOF - but will be pushed aside by other "modern era" drivers.

Carl Edwards has 72 wins, 28 in Cup. While the HOF is not the "hall of statistics" I feel that he had enough of an impact on the sport that under the old HOF rules he would get an induction. Now - I'm not sure.

I hope that all of the future inductees are more worthy than those not chosen, but losing two slots per year will eliminate people. Looking at this year's class I am glad all five made it and didn't have to fall under the new rules.

jimmie57 likes this.
  2. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Well that was weird ... "shout what you want to shout". I guess Fox is missing the boogity man this year.

And then after some historic pre-race festivities red came before green and only 21 laps got completed today.
    Monday Daytona 500's have been exciting ... Montoya isn't around so they should be safe to use jet dryers tomorrow.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Boogity Boogity, let's go racing boys
    retired at the end of last year.

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    What a crazy finish. I hope Ryan Newman is ok.

5. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Speechless for the last two hours.

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana

Now we can breathe ...

TheRatPatrol and jimmie57 like this.
  7. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    NASCAR finally announced the winner of the race (after clearing technical inspection). :D

I'm in the South Bend TV market so I recorded the evening newscasts to see how the locals will cover Newman. There is a section of road in South Bend that was dedicated in his honor when he won the Daytona 500 a few years ago.

No one has died in a NASCAR race since Daytona 500 in 2001. I am glad we don't have to update that date. I thought we lost Newman tonight.

jimmie57 likes this.
  8. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    The report today is that although Newman is still in serious condition, he is awake and speaking with family and medical personnel, which, obviously, is good information.

For me, the real irony of the entire situation is that Dale Earnhardt's death nineteen years ago, about which you reference above, very likely resulted in the saving of Newman's life as SAFER barriers, the HANS device, improved seat restraints, mandated full-face-helmets, stronger driver seats, and a multitude of other driver safety-related changes have been implemented as both a direct and indirect result of that very terrible day in 2001.

jimmie57 likes this.
  9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Ryan Newman, a guy with an engineering degree from Purdue University, has been an advocate for safety.

From 2009: The Talladega Take-Off: Why Ryan Newman's Crash Is Good for NASCAR
    Ryan Newman sat down with NASCAR’s vice president for competition Robin Pemberton and Sprint Cup director John Darby earlier this week to discuss his wild Talladega ride.

Newman’s docket was filled with just two items. The dynamics behind the crash that sent his car airborne and the length of time that it took rescue personnel to extricate him from the carnage.

Although NASCAR officials would not disclose the details of the meeting, other than to say it was positive, Newman remains an outspoken advocate for safety and the critical need to stop the cars from taking flight during accidents.

"From an aerodynamic standpoint, ultimately, our biggest thing is to keep the race cars on the ground," Newman said Friday at Texas Motor Speedway.​

When I saw his car upside down and on fire I remembered his previous comments about safety. Then I saw the replay of how hard his car was hit in the driver's door at the roll cage.

We are too accustomed to watching people walk away from crashes. 19 years later fans have forgotten that this is still a dangerous sport. It is good that safety has evolved to the point where driving is just as dangerous as playing football (risking broken bones or a concussion). But incidents like this week should remind us that the most important thing is that everyone, drivers and fans, make it home safe and healthy after the race.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Even when I have a favorite driver, I don't wish for any of them to get hurt or killed. Newman still being with us can probably drawn straight to Dale Earnhart Sr's death.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I was shocked when I saw the headline earlier that he had been released.

I was holding my breath after he came to a stop with a couple of small fires in the car and watching the gas pour out of the vehicle. I thought for sure we were seconds away from a major fire/explosion.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    That’s exactly what I was thinking as well.