National NFL Late Games and Bonus Coverage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bfkidd, Oct 12, 2015.

1. bfkidd

bfkidd Cool Member

Dec 4, 2005
    It took 3 series before the Sunday ticket channel was opened up for the New England/Dallas game.

CBS switched to the end of a game that ended up going into overtime causing the late game to be well underway before it finally came on. This game had no local relevance and was not the original early game. Fox does this as well all the time. This is always frustrating. It's better if the games you are interested in are early because you're always left wondering and watching the clock and guessing what random game they are going to force on you.

There really should be some way that we could see late games in their entirety especially when we pay for Sunday ticket.

If this game was being recorded there would be no way to capture it since you would get all of overtime instead of the 1st quarter.

2 people like this.
  2. bill buckner

bill buckner Cool Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Exactly, Its not like this is there first year with Sunday Ticket. They have had it for over 20 years, they really should have it figured out by now.

A lot of people pay a lot of money to watch games in it's entirety. I don't want to have to watch the first 15 minutes of a game on the game mix channel, thats not what I paid for.

1 person likes this.
  3. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    DirecTV did actually open up the Pats/Cowboys Sunday Ticket channel for the first quarter due to the over time game. However it was a few minutes into the Pats game before the channel opened so I was stuck on the 4 game mix channel until suddenly 714 worked for the rest of the first quarter.

4. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Related but not exactly the same - you want to record a tv show after football (which usually runs late) and find that you have only recorded 1/2 of the show. It would be great if DirecTv would automatically add to the recording of a show that is scheduled after a live event - if no recording conflict. I know I can that myself but would be great if it happend automatically.

5. bfkidd

bfkidd Cool Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Did anyone notice on the (I think it was TBS) baseball playoff broadcasts, it was available to rewind to the beginning even if it was in the middle of the game?

I tried it and it worked just like for on demand shows.

If they can do it for MLB, why can't all premium sports packages be like this without have to deal with missing a recording or an unforeseen black out.

All games should just be on demand. Period.

6. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I always add an hour to CBS's Sunday night recordings and have for years. This year CBS's does seem to be trying to be proactive and now has 60 minutes starting at 7:30 instead of 7:00. I would rather see them dump one hour of programming and just let their Sunday night primetime start at 8:00.

7. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Theyve been doing the 7:30 start on their doubleheaders weekends awhile now.

The problem is if they start primetime 8:00 then what do they do on their non doubleheader weekends ?

8. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    My semi-educated guess is that the answer would be to either have their affiliates fill the time until 8:00, or to fill the 7:00 hour with reruns.

But this is only an academic exercise -- CBS seems to be happy with the status quo, since it seems to keep all the non-DVR people (and there are still plenty of them) watching CBS all Sunday evening.