1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Security: The New Night Shift

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Jul 2, 2010 #1 of 18
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "The pressure is on...we can't afford to sleep.
    (We're) like the nighthawk that has
    to keep circling."
    - CIA Director Leon Panetta

It is a very dangerous world in which we live. This is a riveting report of the grueling 24/7/365 watch that America's national security teams maintain in an effort to keep America and Americans safe. The report, in today's issue of The Washington Post details, with incredible intimacy, the minute-to-minute lives of those who keep watch over us in the darkness of night.
    To read the full report, go to The Washington Post.com

2. Jul 2, 2010 #2 of 18
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Thanks for the link. I normally check the Post regularly, but I've been busy with having a life lately.

By the way, I have the greatest respect for Leon Panetta. Most people don't know much about him, but he was a Republican until after as Director of the Office for Civil Rights in the Nixon Administration he was threatened with firing for enforcing the Civil Rights Act but was saved when Health, Education, and Welfare Secretary Robert H. Finch and Assistant Secretary John Veneman refused to fire him, threatening to resign rather than do so.

He became a Democrat because of policy issues. He was really a policy wonk in his nine terms in Congress. He and his wife founded the Leon & Sylvia Panetta Institute for Public Policy at California State University, Monterey Bay in December 1998. He worked to create CSU Monterey Bay when the Army closed Fort Ord, where he had been chief of operations and planning of the intelligence section when he was in the Army.

I know the CIA takes crap for screwing up (which they do), but I believe since his assuming office in February 2009 things have been improving considering how much it is an entrenched bureaucracy.

3. Jul 2, 2010 #3 of 18
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Man, I miss my "intelligence" days; I had major separation anxiety when I retired. :(

4. Jul 2, 2010 #4 of 18
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Were you in the CIA?

5. Jul 2, 2010 #5 of 18
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If this were in a movie or a book I'd have to 'suspend belief' to continue. Something created at a known location is taken to known locations via a backroads clandestine handoff? :rolleyes:

6. Jul 2, 2010 #6 of 18
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you. :D

7. Jul 2, 2010 #7 of 18
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    :eek2::lol: Don't let him find me. ;)

8. Jul 2, 2010 #8 of 18
    jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    We... Ahem, "They" have ways of finding you! ;)

9. Jul 2, 2010 #9 of 18
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    ;) Doug has/had my address...shhhh.

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Outstanding, Nick! Thanks for the link. It's a scary world we live in. Thank God for the dedicated people who are trying to keep us all safe, be they civilian or military.

11. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Actually, it makes me wonder why any sane person would want to be POTUS. The stress level must be horrible. All for a job that pays less than a rank-and-file rookie shortstop in MLB.

12. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Yeah, but the perks are incredible, starting with your own personal 747 standing by to take you anywhere in the world on a moment's notice. Then there's that huge mansion with a staff of hundreds, personal chef, personal physician, chauffeur-driven armored limo,...

13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    My late ex business partner worked for the CIA...sort of. Back in the late 1950s, he was a gunrunner, helping the CIA arm Castro so that he could overthrow Batista. He said that a typical delivery would be that the CIA would tell him what armory to go to, and when he would get there, it was pre-broken into, meaning the chain link fence was cut, the doors and vaults left or pried open, etc. He'd take what was there for him and load it onto a boat, and there would be US military ships performing routine maneuvers and operations on both sides of his boat and thereby protecting it, so that no one would dare to interdict his shipment.

Once Castro won and turned on us, all the gunrunners got thrown under the bus. The way they got my former partner was, a "friend" called him and said he was in Georgia and needed to have his car brought to him, so he got in the car and drove to Georgia, but as soon as he crossed the Florida /Georgia line, he was arrested by the cop waiting there and charged with interstate transportation of a stolen vehicle. He was convicted and spent a couple of years in jail.

My friend said if he ever found out who set him up, he'd have killed them, and I believe it, but he said that their operation is so sheltered and compartmentalized that he would never know who to get even with.

14. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Is this the same book that had the accurate WMD info that was passed to Bush?

15. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Mike: It sounds as though your friend talked too much. He's fortunate that he didn't get more jail time, since he probably violated a national secrets act.

16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I don't think I could take the hiring process...
    I'm having enough issues with it the way it is....

17. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Doubtful. What my friend did, he did in the late 1950s, and he only told me that once, in the late 1970s. My friend was a guy who was always "on", meaning that he seemed like he was being open when he wasn't. Given the nature of the relationships he had with people, I'd be surprised if he ever told many other people.

As you might imagine, a guy who would do that would do just about anything else. In the 1960s, he decided to start printing his own football cards. He knew nothing about football, so he'd just take a few published spreads and average them, meaning that the information he was basing them on was a little "stale", which made them slightly more appealing than the mob's cards were. Unfortunately for my friend, he knew so little about football cards that he didn't notice he had reversed the favorites and underdogs one week, and he didn't learn that until after his cards had sold like hotcakes.

My friend wasn't laying off with the mob, so he was going to be on the hook for a gigantic loss. In desperation, he got his mother to let him take out mortgages on both of her houses and went around offering to buy cards back, but hardly anyone was taking his offer. But that Sunday, an incredible thing happened. Not only did the biggest underdog win, it won by more than the reverse spread amount and ruined everyone's cards, since it was the one game that everyone had included in their selections.

My friend was awash in money because of the loans he had taken out, so he held a celebratory bash to top all bashes. In fact, it was so big that IRS was all over him, forcing him to explain how someone who reported almost no taxable income could throw such a party. They had receipts for his booze and food and performing entertainment, as he paid for them out of his modest business checking account.

Fortunately for my friend, someone from the mob told him in no uncertain terms that they had a monopoly on that business and that ended his career as a bookie.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    'Sir, the robots bumped into the riser and bumped the top hat off the well.'
    'The pirate has the captain. What do we do sir?'

All in a day's work.