1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Super Bowl HD Feed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Baldmaga, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Feb 6, 2011 #1 of 20
    Baldmaga

Baldmaga Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    With the recent weather, my OTA setup was ruined, and have been without HD the past couple of days. I'm limited to SD LiL for a few more days, and obviously today is a tough day to not have HD.

What I'm wondering, is if there has been precedent in the past of DirecTV opening up a DNS channel for the Super Bowl in HD for those around the country who don't have access to it?

I won't be too disappointed if there isn't an HD feed, but it would be the first SB in a long time I haven't seen in HD :nono2:

2. Feb 6, 2011 #2 of 20
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I believe it has been done in the past. it was the direct network feed, with dead air during the local spots. I believe it was done so the subs with no local HD and DNS waivers could watch the game in HD.

3. Feb 6, 2011 #3 of 20
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    In the past, it has only happened when one of the DMA's has had a technical difficulty.

And given recent contract disputes and other issues, I highly doubt that would change this year.

4. Feb 6, 2011 #4 of 20
    dmricke

dmricke DBSTalk Club Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Forks, ND
    Like those of us in the northern end of the Fargo DMA right now?

We are experiencing frequent drops to a pink screen followed by the No need to call us slide.

A very poor substitute for watching the Super Bowl.

I'm just sayin'...

5. Feb 6, 2011 #5 of 20
    Baldmaga

Baldmaga Godfather

Sep 1, 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

Like I said, I won't be mad or anything if it doesn't happen, just bummed I won't be able to watch in HD otherwise at my house.

6. Feb 6, 2011 #6 of 20
    Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    I live smack dab in the middle of Fargo-Moorhead, and our Fox affiliate here is having MAJOR issues. Both the over-the-air and SD LiL feeds are cutting in and out, and the OTA feed keeps changing between HD and windowboxed SD. I would REALLY love it if DirecTV would open up the national Fox feed so that I can enjoy the game without the signal going out randomly.

7. Feb 6, 2011 #7 of 20
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I would say.... keep calling, keep calling, and keep calling.

If DirecTV doesn't hear about your complaints, they don't change.... you can even call in as someone else and just say "I am standing in a BAR, and the DirecTV feed sucks.....".

They do have 24/7 tech support even during the superbowl. If they get enough calls, they will get notified.

If everyone sits around and thinks.... "I'm sure someone else has already called", and they only get a few dozen calls from the Fargo area.... then they probably won't do anything.

8. Feb 6, 2011 #8 of 20
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Man, I know the game is long with the big halftime and all the commercials and ceremonies but I sure hope it doesn't get to 24/7.

9. Feb 6, 2011 #9 of 20
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm sure Green Bay would like the game to be shorter ... but there is still time.

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    :confused:

Why would Avder call D* when it's the local affiliate's issue?...

11. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    To open up the National Feed of Fox for viewers in his area. If no one can watch the superbowl because the local affiliate effs things up, it would be a great gesture to their clients. At least then they could have watched it on the national feed.

From earlier posts, it is the experience that if a local station does go down that DirecTV has opened up the national feed instead, as an exception for that day.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Such a thing could ONLY be done outside the coverage area of the station (the predicted one based on licensed signal ... not the real one) if DirecTV dropped the station, or with a waiver from the station for the entire market. DirecTV probably wouldn't drop carriage of a channel to only serve the fringes of a market, so you're looking at a waiver situation.

It would be up to the station.

13. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    I was less than impressed with the quality of the feed, at least what I was seeing via our local Fox affiliate over DTV...

Granted, we were watching it on a rather large screen (106") from about 8 feet away, but I figured they could have turned down the compression a bit more, since most of america watches the SB?

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Fox doesnt look incredibly stellar over OTA either, since its only 720p...it could be worse, but to me it would be unwatchable on a screen as large as yours.

15. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Actually FOX was pretty good here for 99% of the broadcast....

ON the other hand....the NFL Network supplemental coverage before and after the game was really a big disappointment...broken audio and video from time to time.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think there comes a point where there's a difference between the things DIRECTV could do, that would increase good will, and the things they would do even though they don't directly increase the bottom line. It's a hard line to walk, I grant you, but I think they do it pretty well.

17. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Looked great on the DFW feed...I didn't see any overcompression.

18. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    Watched both the Knoxville feed (w/OTA antenna) and the Tri-Cities/TN feed (through D*)

Picture quality, could not tell much of a difference between the OTA antenna feed and the DirecTV feed. Both were pretty good, w/very little compression.

The difference between feeds, however, was the sound. The Knoxville OTA feed was a much better surround sound reproduction than the DirecTV feed. It is amazing to me how much better sound you get from an antenna feed than what you do from a satellite feed.

19. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Black Eyes Peas audio during halftime was pretty bad in DD.
    Even morning news stations commented on the audio problems at half time.

On a positive note, local OTA FOX quality was excellent and when I switched to MPEG4 SAT Local of the same station it was excellent too.

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'll have to go back to see how that portion turned out here....I missed some of the halftime. Bad thing about beer...you can only rent it. :D