1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Native on?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Maleman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    I want my HR22-100 to be in "native" mode. I checked the settings and it says, "native-on" but yet my TV is pushing out full screen with SD channels.

Mind you I have the HR22 going through my receiver.

Does that mean I somehow have to change the settings in my receiver to something called "native" mode?

Thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Native" is the resolution [where nothing is up or down converted].
    What You're seeing with "full screen" is format.
    If you select pillarbox in the receiver, you'll get undistorted image.
    You can also look at the format options in your TV too, as it may be causing this too. Both the receiver & TV settings for format need to work together.
    If you've selected original format in the receiver, then all formatting is being done by your TV.

3. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    haha thanks. I always get confused and sometimes think i know and I don't lol

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    He's got a Panny plasma. I've never seen any sign of upscaling on my Panny plasmas. I do keep mine on Native On, tho.

Rich

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This would have more to do with the receiver, than the TV. With native off, the receiver will be doing the scaling to whatever resolution you've selected and will stay at this resolution, regardless of what the broadcaster is sending.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I tried that awhile ago and quickly went back to Native On. I see nothing in any of my Panny manuals about them upscaling.

Rich

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If they didn't upscale then SD material would only take up a small portion of the center of the screen (a small 640x480 box within your 1920x1080 screen).

If SD material is taking up the full height of the screen then something is upscaling it from 480 to 1080 (it might not take up the full width of the screen though unless you have it set to stretch or crop).

8. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    I don't think I can do this. I think the receiver automatically stretches is it or upscales the resolution?

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe it's time to post your settings.
    Press and hold the info button, and go to more information, then scroll down to the current resolution and format.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you want your TV to do the scaling instead of the DVR? If so you may get slightly better picture quality but you may have to put up with slower channel changes, and possibly wierd flashes etc occuring on the screen when changing channels.

To have your TV do the scaling turn native on in the DVR, and select all resolutions that your TV will support (480, 720, 1080, etc). Then set it to original screen format. This will make the DVR send out exactly what gets sent to it. So on SD channels it will send out a 4:3 aspect picture at 640x480. Your TV will then scale it however you have your TV set to scale SD material.

If you are just wanting 4:3 SD material to stay 4:3 (no stretching or corpping) you don't have to turn on native and deal with the channel changing issues, you just have to set the DVR to pillarbox SD content.

11. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    I would like to watch every channel in its original format....SD 4:3 and HD 16:9

So when I change channels it will automatically go to these resolutions. I don't watch much SD but because it shows in 16:9 it looks a lot more brutal than normal lol

Thanks

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Native on and all resolutions will send the same resolution as each program is being sent. [step one]
    Format is a separate thing.
    If you've selected "original format" in the receiver, then you need to go into your TV's setting to turn off it from stretching the image/format.

13. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Hmm I am in my Pannys settings:

Aspect Adjustments--screen format---FULL

This gives me the proper resolution etc for HD.

And it also stretches all SD to FULL.

I think something has to be adjusted in my Yamaha.

14. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    You can have two different aspect settings on your Panny. One for SD and one for HD. When you are viewing a SD channel, change the screen format to whatever you would like to see. It shouldn't affect the HD aspect setting of the display.

15. Dan B

Dan B Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    I think if you set it the receiver to pillarbox, then HD 16:9 will stay widescreen & SD will be 4:3. However, you still have the problem of SD letterbox programs, which will require you to change either the receiver or TV to crop, if desired.

Personally, I use native in the receiver & adjust my TV settings for SD programs.

What the above poster just said may also be true for your TV. :)

16. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    I have to do this manually via my controller every time I turn to an SD channel?

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't have a Panny, but my Sony works just like this.
    I needed to set HD to full and 4:3 to whatever I wanted, which is "zoom" for letterboxed SD.
    With native on, I use pillarbar for 4:3 SD and change to original format for letterbox SD, which then has the Sony which to zoom [by default].

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Look at your TV's setting for 4:3 default.

19. Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Maybe thats the problem for me ....I cant find the settings option for 4:3 :confused: ?

20. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    No, it remembers the setting it was last on. So, if you have SD output to the display and the display set to 4:3, then switch to an HD channel so HD is output to the display and select FULL for the aspect, it will remember the last setting for each mode...

Using the example above, anytime there is SD output, the display will change to 4:3. Flip back to an HD channel and the display will switch right back to FULL.

Clear as mud? :)