1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Native question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DrZ, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 8, 2007 #1 of 14
    DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Quick question. If I understand correctly if Native is "On" then the HR20 will send your TV what ever resolution it is picking up from the Sats....So what does it send to the TV if Native is "off"? Also is there any way to make the HR20 not 'stretch' or 'crop' a signal (I'd perfer that only my TV do it).

Thanks!

2. Jun 8, 2007 #2 of 14
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    With native "off" the HR-20 sends everything out at what ever resolution you've set the HR-20 to.
    "Pillarbox" is the setting to just [under format] that will show an undistorted 4:3 program.

Now there is another combination [that doesn't make sense at the start] where you want your TV to do everything [allowing any stretch modes of your TV to be used instead].
    This would be native "on" and format to stretch. What this does is send the program out in it's native resolution and doesn't put "pillar bars" on the image. It's labeled "stretch" but in fact is really just the program without anything else.

HDTVs have the same format modes so to get everything the way you want, you will need to work with both the setting in your TV & the HR-20.

3. Jun 8, 2007 #3 of 14
    DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Thanks! I didn't know that about the "stretch" setting!

4. Jun 8, 2007 #4 of 14
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Stretch only works on SD channels. HD channels will be full screen, even if the original program was 4:3. It will have black bars that are transmitted from the network, so they cannot be defeated. This comes into play mostly with the networks airing older SD programming (e.g. Seinfeld). Since the HD channel is always broadcast in HD, and therefore 16:9, the black bars are necessary.

5. Jun 8, 2007 #5 of 14
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Some newer TVs will actually be able to stretch, crop/zoom HD programing.
    My old Sony wouldn't, but my new one does.

6. Jun 8, 2007 #6 of 14
    Scott J

Scott J Legend

Feb 13, 2007
    I have a question then. If Native sends the resolution based upon what is being received from the satellites then what does checking the 480,720,1080 boxes do when you are useing Native on?

7. Jun 8, 2007 #7 of 14
    DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I was mostly asking about this for the SD programming we watch. The wife was watching HGTV last night and I was trying to get the best fit for our screen. This info should help

8. Jun 8, 2007 #8 of 14
    cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    When you check those boxes, you are telling the HR20 what resolutions your HDTV is capable of receiving. For example some TV's don't support 480i, so 480p, 720p, and 1080i checked. Or, your TV is a 1366x768 display-- 480i, 480p, 720p checked.

Native on will automatically switch the output to the most appropriate of the selected resolutions.

9. Jun 8, 2007 #9 of 14
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    exactly, some TVs don't "do" 720p, but do 1080i.

When you're in the setup menu, each time your check one of these, the HR-20 will ask you if you can see it before you can move to the next one.
    This is very much like making changes to your computer monitor settings, when it reverts back to the previous one if you don't check "OK".

10. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    This native on/off issue is, for some reason, the hardest thing for me to get my mind around. And then I see posts that confuse what I thought I knew.

For example, this one. It isn't necessarily true, is it, that if your TV is 1366x768, you should leave 1080i unchecked. If you believe your TV does a better job of converting a 1080i broadcast to the TV's fixed resolution, then you should check 1080i, right? For example, I've read many express the opinion that the Panasonic plasma I own does a better job of converting 1080i to its 1366x768 resolution than does the HR20, and that therefore 1080i should be checked. (Indeed, my eyes tell me that my TV displays a better picture with a 1080i signal than a 720p signal, which I've never understood).

Second, I didn't think "native on" made any choice about "appropriate." It just sends the original broadcast signal to the TV. I suppose if the viewer selects fewer than all resolutions with "native on," then the unselected formats are being converted, but the viewer has forced that result, "native on" hasn't chosen the "most appropriate."

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you believe that your TV does a better job scaling/interlacing the image than does the HR20, then you should leave "Native" on, and select all resolutions. In that case, the HR20 will send the program to your TV at it's original format, and your TV will convert it to its "native" resolution.

Otherwise, you can either select "native" on and choose specific formats to output, or turn "native" off and be able to cycle through them on the remote.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Let's not mix up "format" with "resolution".
    Resolution is what native on/off does, but "format" is the stretch, crop, pillarbox setting.
    It is very easy to get confused over all of this as there are two units [the TV & the HR-20] that have setting for format, but resolution settings is only in the HR-20, and the TV "will do its thing" with what ever it gets.

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That's what "format" means in HR20 land. I forgot my HR20 to English dictionary at home. ;)

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    How dare you try to help someone without it. :lol:

Joking aside: in HR-20 speak, to have the HR-20 do nothing to a signal, it needs to be set to native "on" and the format to "stretch" which isn't "intuitive" in anybody's language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.