1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Native resolution?

Discussion in 'ViP922 DVR Support Forum' started by ExCavTanker, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker AllStar

Apr 22, 2007
    I'm a long time D* customer but am looking at DISH as a possible alternative however there is one thing that will be an absolute deal breaker, no native res output like is available on my current receivers(i.e. 720P for ESPN and 1080i for CBS etc...)

I feed my HD-DVR in addition to my other sources into my DVDO EDGE video processor at their native res (which blows away the receiver as well as my Sammy plasma for scaling/de-interlacing) and let the Edge do it's magic by outputting pristine 1080P/60 to my tv, needless to say fixed res output is a big time no-go.

Sooooooo, does the 922 offer native res output or do I stick with D*?

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I guess you're gonna stick with D*

3. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker AllStar

Apr 22, 2007

Bummer, any word if there are any new receivers on the horizon that may implement that feature?

4. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Rodney: Native resolution pass-through on the HD receivers - why have you not implemented this?
    Dan: Look for it in the near future, maybe this summer. It was overlooked, not aware of at least his level. “I'll get that done.”

We're weeks away from the 5-year anniversary of that statement made on the May 06 Tech Forum.

5. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker AllStar

Apr 22, 2007
    Oh oh, that tells me don't my breath. It's unfortunate that DISH doesn't care about giving their customers a chance for the best possible picture on their display.

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Not to start the old flamewar again, but I can't really think that anybody truly cares about native passthrough beyond a handful of folks.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I care more now in some ways than I did a few years ago... A few years ago I had a failing HDTV that didn't like 720p input as much as it liked 1080i.

My current HDTV, however, likes all the input formats... so native resolution would be nicer now than ever.

I have given up on asking for it, though... because it doesn't seem to be a priority.

8. ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker AllStar

Apr 22, 2007
    I would say you are indeed correct that VP owners are in the minority along with folks that bother to calibrate their displays. Just saying it would be nice for DISH owners to have that option.