NBA Finals 396 ABC National Feed, Lost Picture Entire 4th Quarter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GordonGekko, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Jun 8, 2019 #1 of 12
    GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Did this happen to anyone else? Middle of commercial break between end of third quarter and start of fourth quarter, black screen, still maintained audio, luckily I was not too far back in the recording, I immediately hit record on 7 WABC New York feed and I only missed the first 4 minutes of the 4th quarter.

For the rest of the Finals I will record on both feeds in case it happens again.

Update: I just checked the original 396 recording, the picture returned with 6:05 left in the fourth quarter. And it froze during a NY Lottery Cashword ad, would that commercial run on the national ABC feed or was that one of those DVR locally inserted ads that others have discussed about on this site? Could the commercial have something to do with messing up the recording?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  2. Jun 8, 2019 #2 of 12
    trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    The feed on Channel 7 is merely a remap of the feed on Channel 396, so it seems like this might be an issue with your DVR.

I suspect the timing of the freeze was a coincidence. There are no DirecTV-inserted ads on over-the-air stations. (Channel 396 is merely the WABC broadcast -- DirecTV does not use any kind of special feed -- so it's reasonable to expect a New York Lottery ad.)

3. Jun 8, 2019 #3 of 12
    GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Yes, my mistake, there is no national, only NY/LA, 396/397, I did find a bunch of people on Twitter who did lose part of the fourth quarter on Directv, others experienced it on Youtube TV, so perhaps there was an ABC glitch that somehow impacted 396 but left 7 alone?

4. Jun 8, 2019 #4 of 12
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    396 and 7 are the exact same video and audio feeds from the satellite to the home. The path from WABC New York to the receiver is identical.

5. Jun 9, 2019 #5 of 12
    GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Perhaps but in the past I've seen differences, aspect ratios, and other glitches (audio/video); I've seen differences on all three major networks at times, rare but they occur, why, given your information, no clue.

6. Jun 9, 2019 #6 of 12
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The HD and SD feeds are separate from each other, but are the same on the low numbered channel as the high numbered channel.
    DIRECTV WABC.png
    If you are watching the HD feed on WABC 7 you are seeing the same HD feed for 396.
    If you are watching the SD feed on WABC 7 you are seeing the same SD feed for 396.
    (The same follows for the other DNS channels.)

7. Jun 9, 2019 #7 of 12
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The only possible answer to that is if they are inserting ads on the local station but not the dns version on your DVR itself. And even then the only time issues should show up is during commercials I’d think. Guess it might depend on how they time the programs for ads...

8. Jun 9, 2019 #8 of 12
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It would be illegal for DIRECTV to insert ads on either the local channel feed or the DNS feed. The channels must be transmitted without any editing by the carrier.

9. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok, it’d also have to be a political ad I suppose. Pretty sure they made a deal with the networks about targeted political ads for locals. (In fact I think dish was part of that deal too) Not positive though maybe it only covered cable channels. They’d insert the ads for the local basically.

And I don’t know if the local ads thing is valid for dns is it? Maybe that would be the issue, that they are trying to kill a few specific local ads for the dns feed at the behest of the local. Never seen that though.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The law is clear that these retransmissions (LIL and distants) MUST be unedited. If you are "pretty sure" there was a deal please provide a link.

11. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
  12. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    All good on my end, but I was on 397.