NBC 2016-17 Fall Schedule

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, May 15, 2016.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Since NBC's "Upfront" starts promptly at 11 am Monday, they've announced their Fall Schedule (links to an article are provided for each of the new shows):

NBC 2016-17 Fall Schedule

Monday
    8 p.m. — "The Voice"
    10 p.m. — "Timeless"

Tuesday
    8 p.m. — "The Voice"
    9 p.m. — "This Is Us"
    10 p.m. — Chicago Fire

Wednesday
    8 p.m. — "Blindspot"
    9 p.m. — "Law & Order: SVU"
    10 p.m. — "Chicago P.D."

Thursday
    8 p.m. — "Superstore"
    8:30 p.m. — "The Good Place"
    9 p.m. — "Chicago Med"
    10 p.m. — "The Blacklist"

Friday
    8 p.m. — "Caught on Camera with Nick Cannon"
    9 p.m. — "Grimm"
    10 p.m. — "Dateline NBC"

Saturday
    8 p.m. — "Saturday Dateline Mysteries"
    10 p.m. — "Saturday Night Live (encores)"

Sunday
    7 p.m. — "Football Night in America"
    8:20 p.m. — "Sunday Night Football"

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    And now I'm down to only 1 show on NBC.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We watch Grimm and Blacklist, may try Timeless but sci-fi hasn't exactly done all that well on network TV. At least it's not on Fox.

4. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    So that reported "Blacklist" spinoff didn't get the green light?

5. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Chicago Justice is missing as well. But nothing midseason was mentioned. I'd look for more details today.

6. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Your 1 ahead of me NBC is now news & weather.

7. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Maybe 2 for me, Grimm definitely and I am going to give Timeless a try as it sounds interesting. However, how do you define watching? While those 2 are the only ones I record and make an effort to watch, if I am sitting in front of the TV looking for something to watch I can enjoy most of the procedurals (L&O, Chicago XX) and Dateline depending on the subject.

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    NBC's upfront is now an NBCUniversal upfront shared with E!, Bravo, USA, Syfy, Telemundo, and whatever. "Chicago Justice" and "Blacklist: Redemption" will be on the schedule at some point. Remember NBC has Sunday to fill after the NFL season.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Me too. The new show Timeless looks like it might be interesting. I didn't realize I only watch one show on NBC.

Rich

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I read the write up on Timeless... I'm not sure on this one. Not many shows can do Sci-Fi right much less Time Travel.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't watch that many shows on D* anymore but I'm kinda surprised at how few of those that I do are on NBC. I have every intention of watching Blacklist on NF. If I were living alone, all I'd really need is a provider such as Sling or Vue that has the Yes network.

Rich

12. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    2 Sitcoms...wow

13. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    NBC is fast becoming a content free network. Of 22 hours of primetime, 7 are sports, 3 are game shows, 7 are filmed dramas, 3 are reruns, 1 is news and 1 is a "documentary reality" whatever that is. After it loses Thursday football it gains its only hour of sitcoms and two more filmed dramas.

Wow. If I were an NBC affiliate with a contract coming up and in any way had a signal or a news operation or whatever that made me attractive, I would look for another affiliation ASAP.

14. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    This looks like a pretty decent schedule. I'm glad Chicago Med is moving to Thursdays since I don't have much to watch on that night except How to Get Away with Murder on ABC. I wish they had kept Game of Silence. I'm just now getting into that show and then it's not even finished its season and they cancel it...

15. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    NBC released their regular Fall Schedule with dates for when shows premier on their regular nights along with premiers on special nights all of which is confusing:

Wednesday Sept. 14
    10-11: BLINDSPOT

Monday, Sept. 19
    8-10: THE VOICE
    10-11: THE GOOD PLACE (preview)

Tuesday, Sept. 20
    8-10: THE VOICE
    10-11: THIS IS US

Wednesday, Sept. 21
    8-9: BLINDSPOT (time period premiere)
    9-10: LAW & ORDER: SVU
    10-11: CHICAGO P.D.

Thursday, Sept. 22
    8-8:30: SUPERSTORE
    8:30-9: THE GOOD PLACE (time period premiere)
    9-10: CHICAGO MED
    10-11: THE BLACKLIST

Friday, Sept. 23
    8-9: CAUGHT ON CAMERA WITH NICK CANNON
    9-11: DATELINE NBC

Monday, Oct. 3
    10-11: TIMELESS

Tuesday Oct. 11
    9-10: THIS IS US (time period premiere)
    10-11: CHICAGO FIRE

16. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That is an astute observation, but with the state of big 5 network TV, I think a better affiliation might be a pipe dream. And a signal or a news operation becomes less attractive daily.

It's still 22 hours of content. That is not the problem. The problem is that we are no longer handcuffed to the content they provide in those particular 22 hours. And them going this direction is a reflection of that, from the emphasis on sports to the emphasis on cost-cutting.

Content will always be king, but it no longer has to share its power with the ability of the gate-keepers to decide what content is available, and when, and through who. So now it will only increase in power as the driver of what we watch.

What replaces gate-keeping as the second in power is promotion. TV faces the same problem a cereal company faces trying to get eye-level space on a grocery-store shelf. So while content being of higher quality will drive people to watch it, the game is increasing awareness of what content is available. There may come a day when advertising on TV just is so ineffective anymore that it becomes abandoned completely. But promotion will live on well past that date.