NBC: I'm So Confused!!

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by LarryFlowers, May 17, 2010.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I admit it, I'm confused!

NBC, the network that was stupid enought to create the late night mess. The network that hasn't made a smart move in so long that people are comparing it the Dumont Network back in the day. The network home of Jeff Zucker, the master of the flub?

I just spent a considerable amount of time on this web page:
    http://www.nbcuniversal.presscentre.com/content/detail.aspx?releaseid=527

reviewing previews of NBC's new fall shows. Quite a few of them have really grabbed my interest. Now granted, they are just clips and making a great clip isn't the same as making a whole hour of TV great, but I am very intrigued.

Is there someone behind the scenes at NBC making programming decisions?

2. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    What exactly are you confused about?

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    That they suddenly have some shows that look promising?

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes, Angela Bromstad has been laboring away to undo the damage of nearly three years of mismanagement.

From the LA Times April 9, 2009:
    There was a decent interview of her in James Hibberd's Live Feed column on April 4, 2010 that's interesting.

5. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    smoke and mirrors :lol:

6. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    That is not a good comparison (and, actually, I haven't heard anyone else make it).

The DuMont network was basically killed for three reasons, which have nothing to do with NBC's current situation:

1. They didn't have an associated radio network from which to draw talent.

2. In those days, networks were allowed to have only five owned-and-operated affiliates, and due to some murky corporate overlap between DuMont and Paramount, a couple of TV stations that were owned by Paramount counted against DuMont in that regard -- even though they weren't DuMont affiliates. The O&O's were a big profit center for the networks, so DuMont was missing out. (As it is, the DuMont Pittsburgh O&O -- which was the only TV station in Pittsburgh at the time -- kept the network alive a couple of years longer than it might have otherwise survived.)

3. The other "third network," ABC, gambled successfully in partnering with Walt Disney. (This is unrelated to ABC's current Disney ownership -- Disney in fact switched their programming from ABC to NBC within a few years because NBC was set up for color broadcasting. But during the early-to-mid-1950s, the Disney programming is what really put ABC television "on the map," and the fact that they were getting some of the profits from Disneyland didn't hurt.)

7. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I cant wait to see THE EVENT,it looks awesome! although i hate the title, when i 1st saw the name of this program i thought it was either a game show or reality show. It stars blair underwood ,and jason ritter.

8. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    When Chuck came out, it took me a minute to remember which channel NBC was on here. Ok, not literally, since they also have the NHL, but other than the NHL and Chuck, they've had nothing since Heroes jumped the shark in season 2.

9. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    I will miss both Trauma and Mercy :(

10. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    There is nothing on NBC for me. Unfunny comedies and crime shows for the old and old at heart.