1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NBC picks up 'Community,' 'Parks' & 'Mercy'

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Oct 23, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Several media sites are reporting that NBC has picked up "Community", "Parks & Recreation", and "Mercy" for a full season. The explanations from NBC are downright weird. All of these shows have "Leno" level ratings except they are not in the 10:00 pm time slot.

While I know NBC has nothing out there to fill in, this is.... Well I don't know what it is.

We are recording all three, though.

Check The Live Feed report.

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    That's why. :shrug:

We do, too (well, the first two at least). There's just nothing else on. TV lately reminds me of taking a trip to the voting booth: "well, this one isn't making me vomit at the moment." :(

3. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    My mother would suggest you try reading a good book. :D

4. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Overrated. :p

5. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    I am happy that Parks & Recreation is coming back, and I always get a kick out of Community too. NBC's comedy is just as good as FOX anymore in my opinion.

6. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    When NBC executives heard the cries from the viewers for mercy, they instead gave us more of the latest "spunky dedicated nurses know better than the doctors" drama. :D

(I haven't seen the show but couldn't resist the one-liner. ;))

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    For the past few weeks, except for Sunday Night Football, NBC's high ratings have been for "The Biggest Loser" or "Law and Order: SVU" at around 8-10 million viewers and fair demos. Everything else they offer rate lower to much lower.

About Wednesday's "Mercy", NBC entertainment president Angela Bromstad said: “This drama has found a dedicated audience and continues to build in the ratings. We've seen future episodes, and we're confident ‘Mercy’ can be a strong player for us." Actually, it hasn't changed in ratings with a typical 2.0/6 demo and 7.3 million viewers. But I guess its doing about the same as "Heroes" on Monday with a somewhat better demo 2.4/6 but only 5.6 million viewers.

I still say that with Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday attracting 40+ million network viewers while Wednesday is running about 8 million fewer, NBC should shuffle a decent show to 8 pm Wednesday. (And I really don't understand why ABC isn't premiering "V" there instead of Tuesday against "NCIS.")

8. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    This just another example of NBC's decent into "netlet" status. The Big Three are Fox, ABC, and CBS now.

These are two un-funny cheep to produce sitcoms. The key word here is cheep.

NBC go for the money stratedy seems to be that it is going to stick with failed shows for a whole year, rather than try. I think that mid-season changes at NBC will be very rare in this new era.

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    That would be "HawthoRNe" if it's still on. I tried to watch one episode and it was beyond tacky.

Maybe they could revive "Nurses" [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurses_(TV_series) ] with Ada Maris, Loni Anderson and David Rasche.

[​IMG]

10. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I could not disagree with you more if you're referring to Community and Parks and Recreation. Have you even watched them?

I'm glad NBC made the right choice to keep its Thursday night lineup intact.

11. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    As a competitor has said about the company I work for, NBC "is going to save themselves right out of business."