NBC Sports could sell its RSNs or make them available on Peacock

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by glrush, May 6, 2021.

1. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Peacock makes some sense. It could double as an in-market sports streaming service as a complement to out-of-market packages.

For Comcast… I’d bet internet data services are more profitable than cable as both have similar cost to the customer, but Comcast doesn’t have to pay for content for the data service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Peacock:

- As an in-market optional pay extra service. The most pro-consumer option. But setting the price point for this (and Bally and AT&T, etc.) is going to be hard. Blunt fact the old paradigm where "everybody" had cable/dish and thus "everybody" paid for sports whether they watched or not is over, and blunt fact is that there is going to be less money coming into MLB, NHL, and NBA coffers, and thus passed through to the players. My heart bleed.

- As an in-market no choice deal. Sort of like cable/dish today. But its not like Peacock is indispensable. Might just sell a lot of Netflix.

- Out of market. Non-starter. Out of market rights belong to the leagues as a group and are one of their main ways of revenue sharing. No league would permit a couple of teams to go rogue.

Selling:

Article covers it well. Sinclair is broke from the Fox/Bally deal, AT&T also wants to sell. Who is left?

NashGuy likes this.
  3. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    The problem with this statement is that when you look at the new major network contracts signed with these sports it dwarfs what they were 15 years ago, when cable/sat was the only option in town. So in reality we are talking only local sports. The "problem" for companies like Comcast is they control both sides of the equation. They are both a cable company and and a content provider (IMO this should never be allowed, it's monopoly tactics. It's like if GM owned the oil companies and the cars they run on). So, if they put this on Peacock, that could lock out cable or satellite companies who's biggest selling point at this time is that they almost always have the full complement of local sports. If they lose that, it gives consumers even MORE incentive to drop them. So if Comcast pulls the RSNs from other cable providers, it might be a death knell for them (and in turn, GOOD for Comcast who will pickup Peacock subscribers). I think athletes won't suffer because I think perhaps outside of baseball, the major money comes from the networks and their coverage of post season. And of course the NFL has no stake in this as they don't have local coverage for regular season games.