Nearing end of contract...when to cancel?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by scottintucson, Jan 14, 2015.

1. scottintucson

scottintucson New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm hoping someone has some experience with this. I'm in month 24 of a 24 month contract and want to cancel before I get billed for month 25.

My question is:
    If I cancel before the end of month 24 will they consider that a breach of contract and charge me a ETF? or should I wait until right after the 24 months are up to cancel and hope to get a refund for the unused part of month 25?

I've figured out that I don't want to pay $130/month to watch 5 or 6 programs that I can't get OTA. Instead I plan to buy seasons on Apple TV. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You don't have to pay the bill as long as you cancel on the last day of the current billing period (shown at the top right of your monthly statement).

The unused programming charges are credited back so the only thing you really have to worry about are the various fees for equipment and equipment services if you miss the date.

It may be worth paying one month's ETF to not have to worry about it. If you still have a week or so left on your commitment, the programming credits may well offset the ETF.

3. scottintucson

scottintucson New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Thanks...your comment reminded me that I'm on auto pay, so I just took that off. I may go ahead and cancel early since I think the ETF should only be $20...

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You can also schedule your cancellation to fall on your last billing day. No need to wait for last minute

1 person likes this.
  5. jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey Legend

Feb 28, 2008
    I was in the same boat last November. Month 24 of 24 on an upgrade (Genie). Called on the last day of the bill cycle and they cancelled it. Now one thing of note. It takes up to 24 hours for the signal to actually be nuked so you will have programming for up to 24 hours after you cancel (my end cycle was the 17th and cancelled. Programming was nuked the 18th around 10PM)

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I called in on Dec 31 to change packages and deactivate one DVR. This happened while I was on the phone talking to the lady.
    The DVR was showing programing and then it went blank and a message popped up to call and add programing. I checked the DVR in the Den and the guide had already changed to the new package also.

7. scottintucson

scottintucson New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    I suppose they send auth signals periodically and it must depend on when you call. Either way, I'm pretty much transitioned already to OTA, but I want to make sure I have an hour or two blocked off be on hold... :hurah:

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think if you say Cancel instead of pressing any buttons you will get a rep right away.

9. scottintucson

scottintucson New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Thanks for the help...got it cancelled the other day in 14 minutes. I just said I didn't watch it much anymore and while they tried to retain me, I kept refusing the offers. No high pressure, no rudeness. Although the process isn't complete, my impression is that since I cancelled a few days early I may get a partial refund if my equipment gets back to them in 21 days. A kit was sent out to arrive about a week after the call...

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If I am not mistaken the bill is for the next month, we pay in advance not after the fact.

The small refund you refer to is possibly the other way around. Return the receivers to keep from paying a big charge for them not being returned.

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Correct, we pay in advance. So if he paid $100 for 30 days of service and cancelled 15 days into the month then he will get a refund for $50. I believe they hold that refund until they get all of his receivers returned and then credit it back to his credit card, or mail him a check (not sure about the check though).

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV goes to some effort to distinguish between "charges" and "fees". IIRC, charges may be prorated but fees are not.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Source?

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I just cancelled and got an email stating that I'll get the final bill in about 7 days and that they will take money on the CC on file in 44 days if any is owed. They also stated they will issue a refund if one is due though I suspect the refund, if any, wouldn't come until after they have my Genie in hand. That's the way I would expect them to do.

One thing that they do that I've never been fond of is use the Post Office as part of the shipping. Harder to track when things go back imo. So I'll be taking my box directly to FedEx so I have a trackable number to use and I'll know both when they get the box and that in fact they have it.

And being the anal person I am, I usually send an email to them when I ship with the procedure I used and the tracking number, and then another email when I've checked to see that they received it. That way I have documentation that I did what I was supposed to. Never had a problem with returns yet, but there have been enough reports of glitches happening that I figger better safe than sorry.

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The reason for using USPS is the ease of use. Only thing you need to do is wait for your mailmen when he comes to deliver your bills to give him the DirecTV stuff. No need to go somewhere to drop it off

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yep easy and simple and not trackeable. No thanks I'll take it to FedEx.

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    DirecTV always includes a tracking number. Is at the bottom of the sticker, a tear off

18. scottintucson

scottintucson New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Yea...the US postal mailer has a tracking number. I packed it up nice in their box and took photos all along the way of what went in the box. Keep in mind that they count on people coming back eventually, so I think they will not be inclined to stiff everyone as long as they follow the rules. I think many stories you might hear happen because people either have unreasonable expectations or they don't follow the rules.

19. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Not quite that simple. You should notify your local post office that you have a package to pick up. That will insure that the mailman knows you have it and will pick it up. This is especially important on a walking type route.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I have never had to notify the mailman. No difference then leaving my flag up for outgoing mail. The difference is that obviously I can't leave the packages outside, so when I se him, I just giving him the boxes, sometimes he says he will come back and they always do!