1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a huge DTV overhaul: What are my options?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KennyEarl, Mar 27, 2011.

1. KennyEarl

KennyEarl New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Yet another long-time lurker here....I've always found this place to be a great source of information, and it's the first place I thought of posting to help figure out my current situation.

Here's the deal: I've been a subscriber for a LONG time. I worked for Thomson Consumer Electronics (RCA) back in the day and was part of an internal testing group for the hardware before it ever hit the market, and I've had my service ever since. I've had my fair share of customer service issues, but they've always been resolved to my satisfaction, and I'm generally treated pretty well when I have to call. That said, I feel like I'm paying a pretty sizable monthly nut, even after moving some of the sports subscriptions to the Internet.

We moved to a bigger home a couple of years ago, and instead of overhauling my equipment at the time of my move, I used various receivers that I already had. In total, I have 4 TV's and planning on a 5th soon over the bar in my basement. The NEWEST piece of gear is a HR-20, and is also the only HD DVR in the house. I have an older DirecTivo in the kid's room, and a couple of other HD receivers (non-DVR).

Fast forward to now, and I clearly need some newer tech. The DirecTivo constantly freezes up, the wife complains about the lack of DVR capability on the other TV's, and so on. My gut tells me that it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to get current gear and go whole home, but that's where I'm going.

My options are pretty obvious: Stick with DTV and try to get the best deal that I can for being a long-time customer, or move to AT&T or Comcast. The latter options are attractive from a financial aspect (I would bundle services), but I've yet to do much research on the quality of either.

I haven't called DTV yet, as I would like to go into that conversation a little more educated, which is where you guys come in! Any guidance on what you think I should do here would be great appreciated!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Much more background on your current daily viewing habits would be useful. History isn't necessarily an indicator of what you want/need today. Interests change and kids grow up.

Does everyone have their own TV or are they shared?

Is your goal new and interesting programming or just new technology?

3. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I personaly like the HR24s for the "public" rooms.. H24 is great for bedrooms since it doesn't have a harddrive and is totaly quiet.. with whole home you can still watch any recordings from your dvrs on the h24s..

Hard to say what directv will do for you money wise..

also watch the total tuner count (dvrs count as 2).. if you go over 8 you will need a SWM16 for it all to work.. in your case 3 hr24 dvrs and 2 h24s would fit fine on a swm8 setup..

4. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    If I were starting a new system from scratch today I'd get two HR24s and then enough H24s for the rest of the rooms which can access the DVR content anywhere through the whole home option. I personally don't need to record on more than 4 tuners at once. I'd assess how many that number is for you and go from there.

Oh, and the only way to ensure HR24s and H24s is to buy them from Solid Signal or another retailer. You can barter with DIRECTV to give you bill credits if you buy them elsewhere, too.

5. KennyEarl

KennyEarl New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Well, I obviously need to replace the DirecTivo with something, and I'll need a new receiver for the additional TV in a month or so. This seems like the logical time to make sure that I have the gear that matches how we watch TV.

We're heavy DVR users, with a lot of different interests (and sometimes conflicting recording schedules). My initial thought was very similar to @houskamp's suggestion of a couple of HR24's and H24's for the bedroom and the kid's shared TV room.

But...that's smelling like $800 for the receivers and the whole home setup, which I will be hard pressed to shell out for.

6. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Only way to know what you're going to get offered is to call and ask. But first determine what you want.

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    One modification to suggest. Instead of H24, go for H25. Very small and if its a new SWM system it will be perfect. Rumored to be for new customers only but if a whole new system maybe you can talk them into one or two.

Let us know what they say about the H25 in your case.

8. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Call and tell them you need to upgrade your tivo units and ask what kind of equipment promotions you qualify for. After just year one as a sub I got 2 h24 units free. (8/10). If you got a similar deal you would be able to knock off $200 from your costs. Our house has 2 hr2x dvrs and 2 h24s. It works real well for us.

Sent from my DROIDX using DBSTalk

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Unless you have old beater SDTVs or HDMI outfitted TVs across the board, the H25 is probably not your best choice. Remember that the only output choices (without an expensive "custom" component cable) are HDMI and composite.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    HDMI needs be only on the TV that the 25'd be hooked up to. Besides, HDMI is pretty ubiquitous on HD sets.

11. KennyEarl

KennyEarl New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Oddly enough, this is exactly what I have! I'm preparing to call DTV this morning, and will let you all know how the conversation goes.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    We're apparently talking about "beater SDTVs".

If what we're hearing about new installs only is true, the H25 recommendation is academic.

13. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    best of luck

14. KennyEarl

KennyEarl New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Here's what my initial call today produced:

First-line CSR offered to give me 3-mos free of some HD add-on package that I don't need or want (I am a Premier subscriber) if I upgraded at full price. Pass.

Transfered to sales, and they offered to upgrade all of my receivers in the WHole Home upgrade for $199. They said that would NOT upgrade my HR20-100, as it was MRV compatible, but they would swap out my failing DirecTivo unit for a DRV. I'm a little leery of using the HR20 as one of my DVR's, but if they include another DVR in the mix, then that would take the load off of that hard drive.

They would not guarantee the receiver models, nor can I request specific models, but he said that I would "probably" get H24's (and one would think an HR24 to replace the DirecTivo.) The catch is what expected - a 24-month subscription commitment. That's actually not a big deal for me, because any decision to stay with DTV will be for at least that long.

I didn't press it with a retention supervisor today, because I'm not going that route unless I am prepared to suspend the account and go another direction. Considering that the $199 includes installation and all new receivers, this doesn't seem like a horrible deal. Could I push them hard for some concessions, probably but that would mean going down the retention route, and they could just as easily tell me to have a nice day.

Not knowing what receiver models I would be getting is about the only thing that makes me nervous here.

15. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The only change would be to call back and change it to whole connected home. That will get you the Broadband deca included in the install. The receivers Doesn't much matter any current Hddvr will just about the same.

The choice of receivers will be determined by What's on the installers truck that shows up.

The install will get you Swim and possible new rg6 installed where possible.

Since your premier -there's really not much more they can do for free-bbies :)

I ordered a HD receiver in the dark for $49 and am waiting to see what I get-(just like christmas) I have a h20 from 2006 that just won't die and I what a rj45 jack so any HD receiver will just about fill the bill--unless they send me another H20 :lol: but I do have wholehome active on my account so I'm holding my breath.

Good lUck on your Decision.

16. KennyEarl

KennyEarl New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    That's what the $199 is for...Whole Home. They are basically rolling in the new receivers in exchange for another 2-year commitment.

17. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    There is Whole Home which connects your receivers to each other, and then there is the connected home WestDC referred to futher connects all of your receivers to your home network allowing for Video on Demand and other items. You have to be specific on your order or the installer won't bring the correct equipment.

18. KennyEarl

KennyEarl New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Got it....thanks!

19. Athenian

Athenian Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    With what are they going to replace the DirecTiVo? If it's going to be another HD DVR, you can have them swap plaes.
    I don't think that you will get a better hardware deal. You might get some programming freebies or credits but I'd be surprised if there were anything left in the equipment kitty.

20. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    When you call back, use the term Internet Connection Kit. That should help clarify. Sounds like you got a good offer.