Need a quick clear-up -- SWM question (I think)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by El Gabito, May 25, 2009.

1. El Gabito

El Gabito AllStar

Apr 24, 2006
    So I'm trying to help some friends of ours that just moved into a brand new townhouse (middle unit).

Unfortunately their living room is on the north side of the building, but that's another issue.

I want to be sure I understand the SWM's - been reading up but not 100% sure. It seems as though the newer receivers all have built in ability to "de-swm" or whatever. So if they can get a SWMline dish (is that really the name?) it will just run one line straight to each receiver... right?

They have three rooms with one line to each room. Will need 1 HD DVR and 2 SD receivers (maybe dvr's).

Can they request this setup from service? I don't know if they send this sort of thing by default to a townhouse knowing that accessibility may be difficult.

I feel like I'm all over the place but hopefully I'm making sense.

2. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Swm allows up to 8 tuners on a single cable and can use splitters too. All mpeg4 hd receivers and the recent sd receivers can all handle a SWM system. With a SWM lnb there is no way to use older non-SWM receivers. There is no way to "order" Swm for an install. It's all based on automated rules in the system and what they have on hand. Generally if you have at least 1 hd box and more than 5 total tuners (dvrs use 2) then you will get a Swm dish.

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    SWM can not be requested when ordering from a CSR. With only 4 tuners the work order would not show SWM.
    However the tech can decide if he is trained and has the SWM equipment to install it anyway.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    At a minimum, for new installs, 5 tuners are required to get SWM.

However, that's not guaranteed and you technically can’t request it. You could call the local installer who will be coming out and maybe work something out the them.

The components for SWM can be had on the web (solidsignal.com for one) and the homeowner can do it themselves.

There are options.

Keep in mind that any old splitter won’t do it has be rated for 2MHz to 2150MHz. I actually use the Skywalker SKY23302D which is rated for 5-2300MHz and it works just fine. The point is that the $1 splitters that are probably already in the house are no good. Rated splitters are just a few bucks so it isn’t a problem.

Mike

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Not all splitters can be accessed since a lot of builders hide them in the wall. I've had plenty of cable rated splitter work fine. not an endorsement but i wouldn't call them deal breakers if it comes down to them

6. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Interesting, I've often wondered is any decent quality splitter might work. I guess it possible.

IMHO, it’s prudent to replace the splitters if possible but if they’re not accessible then all you can do is hope. :grin:

Mike

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    The SWM LNB dont support older recievers but the SWM-8 switch does.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    There is a SWM Installation meter [Model SIM01] that you can use to test a line. I have one and have used it on "cable splitters". All will pass 5 channels, and a few will pass 8 channels. I've even had two identical splitters have one pass 8 channels and the other only pass 5 channels.

9. El Gabito

El Gabito AllStar

Apr 24, 2006
    Odd that they don't allow you to request it. Seems like it would save everybody time (consumer and installer) and money in the long run.

I know they've lost a few customers in this complex because they told them they had to come through the kitchen cabinets, walls, etc and run lines (exposed) all over the house. But it would be pretty simple with a SWM install.

I found a little utility box in the garage with RG6 in there, but I need to pull it out and see if it's the outdoor line and all three indoor lines. If it's all three then that's great - if not, it means for some reason they chose to bring the one line in and just have a break there for some reason... I don't get why builders don't think that people might want access to the splitters.

Thanks for the help.

10. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    They don't allow you to request it because the CS rep you speak to doesn't Built your system so to speak. They select that you want a HD-DVR, 2 hd receivers and 1 SD DVR or what ever it ends up being and the system automatically generates a work order with all the correct parts. The CSRs don't generally even know what SWM is.