Need advice before upgrading

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by mjknight, May 2, 2017.

1. mjknight

mjknight New Member

May 2, 2017
    We currently have a 722 in LR and (2) 211 for bedroom and one in RV. We would like to upgrade to the Hopper and joey. I've been reading different things and want some advice on what we want to accomplish. Lately we have spent a little more time in our rv spot so we have been taking our 722 with us back and forth to be able to tape and watch our shows. Using just the 211 is okay for little weekend trips. Taking the 722 back and forth is getting a little frustrating. Now we have a new camper so we will want to add a TV.

Here are my questions/concerns:

1. If we upgrade to the hopper 3 and joey, we can only have one hopper which means we will be back in the same boat of having to use just the 211 or take the hopper and joey back and forth.
    If we get the hopper 3, can you have 2 tvs off the hopper without using a joey?
    What new equipment do I need to get this working as we have a 1000.2 for both at home and rv spot. I am able to change anything out so no worries there. We will be purchasing any equipment including hopper and joey outright so it will not be leased.

2. If we purchased an older hopper and joey, can you have 2 hoppers on the same account?
    If yes, can we use an EHD to watch and tape shows back and forth from each hopper so we can have the same shows on each one?
    If we purchase an older version, what new equipment would I need?
    Can you still have a 211 on this account as well?

As you can see we are trying to figure out the best way to be able to upgrade, watch and tape shows at either place without having to lug around our equipment back and forth. Any advice will be greatful!

2. xfoneguy

xfoneguy Mentor

Feb 1, 2006
    Just a bit of feedback for item #1: I just read over on the other Board that you can actually have TWO H3's now on the same account - If you want to purchase one box (in addition to leasing the other from Dish). I'm not sure what 3rd-party sellers are going for now but a while back it seems like they were around $200 to purchase. Not sure if that helps.......

Also, the H3 has Component as well as the old RCA A/V jacks (in addition to HDMI). I've never tried hooking up more than one set simultaneously though. Guess it would be interesting to give that a try some time :) And it seems like you can't mix the Hopper 3 with any of the other Hoppers, though I wouldn't want to bet my paycheck on that (yours maybe, but definitely not mine! LOL!)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017