Need advice on Distant Network Service DNS

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by johnasmith, Oct 26, 2015.

1. johnasmith

johnasmith New Member

Aug 17, 2008
    I have been a DIsh customer for many years and I really do like it. We are RV'rs and had DNS provided by another company that worked with Dish. That service is no longer available and apparently Dish has decided to no longer provide DNS service for RV's even though the FCC has released them from the restrictions that were imposed on them some years ago. We will be ordering a new RV and I will install a

Wingard Travler. I will have the opportunity to select the Dish or DirectTV version. My understanding is that DirectTV offers East or West Coast feeds for RV's. I need suggestions how to best approach this. We have a stick house now but there is a possibility we could decide to sell it and full time for a couple of years.

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    DirecTV does in fact provide DNS feeds for both the East and West coast. To get it for an RV there is paperwork to fill out proving you own a RV. Once they receive that, its hassle free on the DNS feeds. I think you can call in where you are at to change to the locals in that area or use the DNS feeds either one. The problem becomes if you want a residential account and a RV account as they want them to be separate. If that is what you are wanting, it would probably be best to call them to see exactly where their stance is on it at this time. DirecTV does not have a problem giving out DNS feeds. They just make sure they are following the law before doing so. DNS is kind of my thing on this site. Let me know if you have any questions and I will help as best I can.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Consideration of whether you get east or west coast DNS comes down to where the vehicle is registered. A customer does not have a choice. To change to another "coast" customer must provide copy of registration to complete the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k New Member

May 24, 2010
    Both the above are correct.. you actually have many options. If you want to use the DirecTV system for both your home & RV, and only have a few receivers you likely can set up a home install for DirecTV. Once that is completed wait until you get your new RV, and fill out the DNS paperwork. Just list all the receivers as being in your RV, and if you only have a few they likely will not question it. So long as you aren't using them at both locations at the same time you're in a gray area as far as terms of service are included. You'll have to submit the registration, and as peds48 says now they only allow you to get either the East Coast or West Coast based on where your RV is registered. This is because they incorrectly (or are lazy) in their interpretation of the 2010 law that reauthorized DNS service. Then a provision was added that says you can't get DNS programming from an EARLIER time zone. It says nothing about you having programming from your time zone and a later one, but DirecTV to make things easy on themselves just decided to stick to the single coast thing. You'll still be allowed to get the local channels for your service address, AND the DNS station set (either East or West) that you qualify for. You *might* be able to change the service address to get the locals where you are when you travel, but based on feedback from the RV forums DirecTV doesn't really allow this anymore. Many people report that their accounts have been *flagged* for requesting these types of changes.

If you want to stay with Dish you also have a few "unofficial" options. Most RV owners have no problems getting Dish to change their service address anytime they want. Some report being able to change twice in a single day via the online chat. So you could just keep dish, and change your locals where you go. Their spotbeams are much larger than DirecTV's. If you stay in the same general area you might could go weeks or even permanently without changing.

Also Dish doesn't publicize it, but they do have a number of local channel markets on their 77 degree Eastern Arc satellite. If all you care about is network programming and don't want to have to change locals you can simply pick one of those markets and choose a service address there. Most of them are in HD. If you just want SD locals then the NY stations are available CONUS from Dish's Western Arc if you use a NY service address. Again that is not an official solution and might be "frowned" upon, but Dish readily allows willy nilly service address changes so they ask for it.

5. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Should just provide both east and west to the same customer.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I didn't make the laws. This was made in an effort to prevent one watching something earlier than supposed to.

7. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    True - Some laws are so useless.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.

8. âêîôû 1

âêîôû 1 New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Since you're going to be paying for the Winegard Traveler rather than getting an RV that already has one mounted... You may be interested in the following... http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/219598-rv-setup-for-hr24-500/?p=3392198