Need advice on equipment swap

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BruceG, Aug 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BruceG

BruceG Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I recently had DirecTV installed and we received 2 units; an HR24 and H24. To resolve a couple of issues I was offered a swap of the H24 for a DVR Receiver at no charge. I requested a HR24 but knew I would get whatever they shipped. I received a HR22.

I don't "need" two DVRs to resolve my issue, I accepted it as a goodwill offer. The one advantage to the 2nd DVR would be the ability to record up to 4 shows at a time, instead of 2. That's not something I'd do all the time, but occasionally would be handy.

My initial thought is to simply return the HR22 because I'd rather have the H24 equipment. But I'd appreciate feedback before I make the decision.

Thanks,
    Bruce

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    What were the issues?

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    For no charge, I would rather have the 2 recording tuners than the speed of an H24.

Last time I said something like that, I got an offer to trade. No I will not trade my H24 for an HR22 :p

4. BruceG

BruceG Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Where shall I start :)

Just a series of missteps - my install mysteriously dropped off the schedule despite assurances it was all set and the lack of a date on the website was just a glitch. The installers were not familar with the setup for MRV, Internet connection with H24's and set it up wrong. Music/photo sharing didn't (and still does not) work. The kicker was the instance of the supervisor that I could pause/rewind/forward live TV on the H24 because with one DVR that's all that was required.

I really wasn't really that upset, I knew the H24 was new and I really did get good support on the phone. But obviously when I was offered the swap I accepted it.

Now, just have to decide which I'd rather have - new equipment or older DVR.

5. BruceG

BruceG Cool Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Hmmm...your answer says one thing and the words another :) (I get it).

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My HR22/100 has served me well. The choice is yours but I would keep it.

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Haha, yes, I wouldn't trade mine for an HR22 for 2 reasons. #1 is my H24 has sentimental value and #2 I have 3 HR22s for sale, I don't need another :D

I also have several other tuners to record for me. My parents have the setup that D* touts to be super sweet: 1 DVR and HD receivers everywhere else. Mom and dad do not watch any of the same shows, and what they do watch usually comes on at the same time. Guess what happens, it's not so sweet. Stuff doesn't get recorded, which defeats the whole purpose of having a DVR.

If all you have is 1 DVR and 1 receiver, I would jump at the free upgrade, HR22 or HR24. If you have or plan on getting more DVRs to use in addition to what you have, keep the H24.