1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice, should I switch to comcast

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bigds01, Oct 28, 2010.

1. bigds01

bigds01 Cool Member

Oct 3, 2008
    After having DTV since 1997, comcast is finally coming up our dirt road (yeah internet). Question is, if I care a whole lot about HD, should I stay with DTV or go to Comcast?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Stick with DirecTV. Use Comcrap for internet.

3. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    Stay with DirecTV!

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    No, Switch to Comcast and then come back and tell us why you Hate it so much.

5. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    You have to look at your situation. Compare each providers HD offerings and the monthly cost. Don't forget about equipment rental fees. Do you sub to a sports package with Directv, and if so does cable offer it ? The internet will be cheaper if you get video from them(Comcast).

6. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Why even ask a DirecTV forum that question at all - it's like asking a starving man if he wants a steak dinner - what other answer will you expect him to give?

7. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I switched from DirecTV to Comcast some time ago, and I couldn't be happier. For me,

• Comcast is cheaper than DirecTV (plus they gave me some great incentives to switch);
    • They provide some local channels and subchannels that DirecTV does not offer;
    • Their SD picture quality is better than DirecTV's (I did not have HD with DirecTV so I could not directly compare HD quality, but Comcast's HD PQ is excellent in my area);
    • Their customer service is far superior to DirecTV's (I don't have to play CSR Roulette, and the only billing error I had was quickly resolved versus my experience of months of overcharges from DirecTV;
    • Their DVR hardware is far more reliable than DirecTV's (although not as feature-laden as DirecTV's hardware, the reliability means I don't miss recordings or get freeze-ups or other picture/audio problems, which happened all the time with my DirecTV DVRs);
    • And there is no contract or commitment or up-front equipment fees, so I can cancel or replace equipment at any time without risk or cost.
    For me, the advantages of Comcast far outweigh DirecTV, so even if Comcast were to cost me more, I would stick with Comcast. But since Comcast costs me less than what comparable service would cost with DirecTV, it is a win-win situation.

Now just because Comcast is the right choice for me, doesn't mean that it is the right choice for you. You need to compare your own costs (including service, equipment, bundles, and discounts) and features which are important to you.

8. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Aw. There ya go making a liar of me :lol:

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    And yet he still reads and posts in the D* forums....

10. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    If you give your location, some folks may be able to share with you experiences or comparisons with Comcast. Cable systems vary a lot from location to location even when the same cable company.

For instance, above you have someone who says they have no problems with their Comcast DVR. In my area, Comcast DVR problems abound and have driven customers to Fios and satellite and/or Tivo.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have Comcast for internet and DirecTV for television. Because of how they price it, I also have limited cable from Comcast (the first 29 analog channels), as it is actually less expensive to get that than it is to get cable internet with no TV.

I have four DVRs with DirecTV. I'm not sure I could even get that with Comcast, and if I could it would cost well more than what I pay DirecTV. So in my specific case, I'm better off staying with DirecTV from a cost perspective.

As to quality of the DVR, I have very limited experience with the Comcast DVR so can't really offer a valid comparison. However, I have not had problems such as those noted by Upstream. I'm perfectly happy with the DirecTV HD DVR.

As far as channel selection, I think DirecTV has more full time HD channels. As far as content, Comcast has a better on-demand function and selection. Which better serves you is only something you can decide. DirecTV has improved in this area recently, and I would expect them to continue to do so.

As for picture quality, I don't have digital cable so am not able to provide a comparison, but am very happy with the picture quality I have from DirecTV.

12. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Yep. When I was having problems with DirecTV, I found the posts from some former DirecTV customers very helpful. When I was looking to quit DirecTV and considering different options, I also found the posts from former DirecTV customers very helpful.

So I promised myself that I would return the favor, and return to this forum occassionally to help others who have issues with DirecTV or considering other options.

(Also, DBSTalk has some interesting discussion on the television industry not specific to DirecTV.)

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    VELLY VELLY INTERESTING!!!! :lol:

14. NewView

NewView AllStar

Jan 15, 2007
    I had Comcast TV in one form or another for 35 years. Then I discovered DirecTV. I wouldn't have Comcast again if it was given away free.

15. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    Stay with D to hell with Comcast for TV internet thats a different story.

16. KNPKH2ster

KNPKH2ster Mentor

Apr 3, 2010
    I can't say about internet since I have Optimum for internet, but some of the people are right about Comcast HD. When I went on a vacation to Ocean City, MD for Memorial Day weekend, there was Comcast in the hotel where I stayed at. Although I only watched TV during breakfast time over there, I saw how Comcast HD is like and wow, it's not so great. Maybe its the television, but I couldn't tell. When I arrived home after my vacation, I then realized that D* HD is so much better than Comcast HD. So in a way, I experienced Comcast. However, its a personal choice for you to decide.

17. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    Keep DirecTV while you have Comcast until you're sure you want to stick with Comcast to avoid a costly return to DirecTV.

18. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    While the comparisons you make MAY have been valid, based on my experiences with hotel picture quality, I would NEVER make any direct comparisons against a reasonably well selected and installed home system. I'm not advocating for or against Comcast or DirecTV picture quality, only against the quality of the system deployed in any given hotel. There are too many variables, people tweaking settings, poor quality connections, poor lighting, etc... in the hotel setting. Just my $0.02.

19. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Don't give a red penny to Comcrap.

20. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I had Comcast for a few years, but I moved out of their serviceable area so I have DirecTV now.

In my general area, Comcast is great now... but that wasn't always the case. They really do move at a snails pace when adding new HD channels, but I guess you can say the same for DirecTV now. It sure did take awhile, but the Comcast in the area offered 101 HD channels at the time I left in September. There's quite a lot of HD channels that I miss, which we don't have on DirecTV. Also Comcast has a huge instant Video on Demand library including HD content as well. Thats one thing I miss the most, as their variety and selection of instant on demand content is huge. Not that I watched much SD on Comcast, but their SD picture quality is far cleaner than DirecTV's. D* SD looks blurry and dark compared to Comcast.

I had their Motorola DCX3400 DVR, which had a 320GB Hard drive. Now they don't use MPEG4 and the eSATA or USB ports on the box do nothing, so your stuck with whatever hard drive size you get. Some DVR's have 250GB drives, some 160GB, and my very first DVR only had 120GB in it (Motorola DCT-6412). Your pretty much playing roulette with equipment, and you get what they have. Now you can always go to a local payment center and swap out equipment no questions asked, but their inventory is always random. There's no way to find out what equipment they have before you take the trip out there. The front counter reps are pretty dumb, so if you ask for a Moto 3400 DVR with 320GB, they look like you have 2 heads. You have to really dumb things down for them and say "I want one of those new black DVRs". It's like talking to a teenage girl about cars. She might not know what model it is, but she sure could tell you the color of it.

The internet service was upgraded in the area, and I had 105mbps down by 10mbps up. Also the caller ID came on every TV's screen, and also the PC's screen as long as the app is installed. The 105mbps service is really expensive, but I was testing it for them. Prior to that, I tested the 50/10 service, and prior to that, I had the regular 12/2mbps service. One thing is their customer service online is great. They have a direct forum over at broadbandreports.com, they have a full team of employees on twitter, and they also have forums for customers on their website. Theres ways to get in touch with higher level people and get things done if need be... or help out in their forums, get noticed, become a mod and be eligible to test stuff like 100+mbps internet speeds.

It's not all good though. The biggest gripe I had is their on screen guide. HD Channels are way up in the Ch 792-950 range. I'd get into fights all the time when the Wife would put "Ch 3" on, which is in SD, when in reality you need to put on "Ch 803" for HD. There's no way to hide the SD Duplicates... and the different numbering scheme makes it confusing and not very user friendly. Over time, she finally got the hang of it. DirecTV is so much better in this regard, because if you type 3, you get it in HD if its available. The I-Guide they use was updated to do Web DVR management, which is better than DirecTV's, as you can re-prioritize your series recordings. That software update also added folders to the DVR screen. However what I didn't like is the graphics. It's so archaic looking, its like playing a video game system from the early 90's. It can be sluggish at times, and if you think Native on DirecTV is slow, think again. Only the Moto DCX series can do Native, but your talking about 3-5 seconds between channel changes. It even sometimes forces the TV to resync when going between channels that have the same resolution! The guide doesn't fill the screen when on 720p or 1080i. It's "Pillarboxed". There's huge ugly add fixed at the bottom of the screen that only allows for 4 channels to be listed at a time. You have to go into settings and change the row height to single and then you will see 5 channels at a time. There's no scrolling effects, no transparency, or any modern UI elements we take for granted on todays PC's and Smartphones. They just rolled out their 500GB "Anyroom DVR" and while other rooms can see a unified playlist, they cannot modify it or schedule recordings. All DVR management has to be done by the primary DVR. They don't pool DVR's either, and not like you would want to, the pricing is crazy.

If you have 1 DVR, it was 15.95 a month, but god forbid you add a second DVR, it was like $24.85 a month. That's right, no bulk discounts. It's because they double up on fees on the second with a ridiculous $8.90 "additional outlet" fee on top of the DVR. I only have 2 TV's so it was ok.... but if you have many TV's, your will no doubt have to pay much more than DirecTV. I'm pretty sure D*'s additional receivers are only $5.

Oh the remote sucks. Their DVR's get buggy if you "turn them off", so leave them on all the time. But the remote will make you do multiple button presses to turn the TV on and off. You have to push TV, then Power to turn it off. To turn it on, you push TV, Power, Cable. That last button press will ensure the remote will control the DVR. If you press "All On", it sometimes turns only one or the other off. Then when you go to turn things back on, it leads to inconsistent states. If you turn everything off, but the DVR is recording, a Popup message will appear asking if you want to cancel the recording or keep the system on. Well if you used "All On", the TV screen would of turned off by that point. Next morning if you use "All On", the DVR would SHUT OFF (since last night's menu box timed out), while the TV turned on. All you get is a blank screen. Not real user friendly if you ask me.

I personally would still have them if I could, because I would have a bunch of HD channels that we would use in our household, as well as on demand. We don't have lots of TV's to pay equipment for, and although their UI sucks, I could always buy a Moxi, Tivo, or Ceton Cable card tuner and build a media center.

Their big issue is consistency. There are still markets with as little as no HD channels, or 30 HD, or 50 HD. DirecTV has those beat. But in my neck of the woods Comcast destroys DirecTV. I personally don't care about 40+ PPV HD's that DirecTV has. Comcast doesn't need that because of their HD-VOD selection. I'm not a sports fanatic either, so Sunday Ticket or anything like that doesn't really sway my decision. But your area might not be upgraded to carry that much HD content. Or they might be using different equipment, like the Scientific Atlanta/Cisco boxes, which are a bit behind software wise. They don't do web DVR management, DVR folders, or DVR History (to prevent recording so many reruns). Your best bet would be to check their channel lineup, and ask what type of equipment they lease. You could always check a neighbor or friend too. Good luck!