1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Held on Deciding Equipment Placement Location for Whole Home System

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Michael - AZ, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Hello everyone,

I am moving to a new house on 1 August. D* has offered me an equipment upgrade, so I am taking advantage of that by getting a Genie Whole Home System installed in my new house. In my current house, I have two HD DVRs (HR-22 & HR-24). I told the D* representative who took my order that I wanted the Genie, 1 Client and will be keeping my HR-24, but want it connected to the Whole Home System (I will be sending the HR-22 back to D*, assuming they want it).

Here is my original thinking on equipment locations.
    Location 1: The Great Room, where we'll be spending most of our time - left most room of the three rooms where the equipment will be installed.
    Location 2: Exercise Room, middle room of the three rooms.
    Location 3: Office, room on the right of the three rooms. This room is already wired with the Comcast cable for internet. I will have the modem and a wireless router in this room.

My original thought was to put the Genie in Location 1, the Mini Client in Location 2 and the HR-24 in Location 3. I am now re-thinking this strategy because if I receive the HR-34 (with no Wi-Fi capability), how will I get my internet signal to the Genie so I can get access to DOD movies, Pandora, etc? Since I will already be looking at punching holes in the dividing walls between the three rooms to run RG-6 cable, I don't want to have additional holes (or bigger holes) for the Ethernet cable.

Would my system run just as well if I put the Genie in Location 3 (in the same room as my internet modem & router), thus allowing me to easily connect the Ethernet cable to the Genie without making a hole in the wall? Then I would place the HR-24 in Location 2 (exercise room in the middle). Finally, the Mini Client would go in Location 1 (Great Room). I guess I could swap the Client and HR-24 in this scenario, unless there is a good reason not to. Am I overthinking this? If I go with my original equipment locations, is there another piece of equipment from D* that could be added to the Genie in Location 1 that would capture my internet signal coming from the wireless router in Location 3?

I am new to capabilities of the Genie and Whole Home System, so I could use some advice on how to best lay this out from some of you who have already been through this.

BTW, I think I got a pretty good deal from D* when I called for the move.
    Free Genie and Client
    Free Sunday Ticket for the upcoming season
    $3 fee for Whole Home System waived for 6 months
    $6 fee for additional Client waived for 6 months
    $10/month off for 1 year because I signed up for Auto Bill Pay

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Hardwire is always more reliable then wireless. But the Cinema Connection Kit [CCK, the old Internet Connection Kit] does come in a wireless flavor.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since you are going to have the HR24 in the office "location 3" you can have the tech install a DECA BB via a 2 way SWM splitter. THis will give a wired connection which is very reliable

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yep, I'm with peds. Leave the genine in the main room, and use a bbdeca to connector hard wired to the internet in the third room.