1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help adding recievers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by melj780, Aug 16, 2009.

1. melj780

melj780 New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Hi all....
    I need help!
    I live in a log cabin with 2 wires coming in from the dish each hooked up to their own recievers. We are trying to add 2 more recievers. We used a splitter and lost the signal. We really can't add any more wires coming directly from the dish...
    We have standard satellite, not HD, so I was told that a regular splitter wouldn't work.
    What else can I do? Ideally I would like to purchase something to plug into the wires coming in and split off that, but have no clue what to do!!!!!
    PLEASE HELP!

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  3. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
  4. melj780

melj780 New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    So one line is coming into the basement... I add one of those to that line... and get more than one reciever off that
    The other line goes to the 1st floor.. I add one to that... and get more than one reciever from that
    sound ok?
    I'm a complete novice when it come to this stuff!

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    No! You need to connect both lines from the dish to the inputs of the multiswitch and then the receivers connect to the outputs of the multiswitch.

6. melj780

melj780 New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    crap....
    the lines are on 2 different floors..... not sure if i'm going to be able to have more recievers
    so what do people who only have one line coming in do?

7. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Both lines from the Sat need to go to the multiswitch to make it functional. It sounds like the lines from your Sat go to different locations in the house, and it's hard to say what the best wiring path might be without knowing your exact situation. One option might be to place the multiswitch outside near the Sat. You can then run two new wires from the Sat to the switch and plug the previous wiring into its outputs. From there you will need to run wiring from the switch to the new receivers, or extend existing wiring for those receivers to the switch. Make sense?

8. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    You can put a multiswitch outside. They are weather resistant.

9. melj780

melj780 New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    sounds like a lot of work
    we would have to drill holes to get more lines into the house and this isn't a permanent thing....
    there's nothing we can do to split the existing lines that are inside?

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Not if they go to seperate locations in the house. Your other option would be to invest in a SWM system, but since you specified that it won't be permanent that's prob not an option for you...

11. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    No matter what you do, you must connect the two feeds from the satellite to the inputs on the mutliswitch, and then the receivers will be fed from the outputs of the mutliswitch. If you are willing to run more wire inside, then you could locate the mutliswitch where cable #1 enters the house and run additional wire from where cable #2 enters back to cable #1's location to feed the switch. Of course if there is a receiver where cable #2 comes in, then you'd need to run another cable back from the mutliswitch to that receiver.

Honestly, the easiest scenario would seem to be locating the mutliswitch outside near the dish. Then, you only need to run one additional cable for the new receiver.

12. melj780

melj780 New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    I'm going to have my husband look at everything..... grrr! I wish I could get cable but we live too far out in the boonies!

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You could run the inside lines to a common location where you'd connect the multiswitch. Then run from the multiswitch back to the receivers. This all depends on where the existing lines come into the house. Think outside the box (dang, I hate that phrase).

14. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It would help to know what kind of dish you current have.

If you look through these you might see yours.

http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/directv_dish_antenna_types.asp

Knowing which dish you have will allow us to tell you exactly what equipment you will need and how to connect it.

Mike