1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help deciding

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by joeyvice, Sep 26, 2007.

Which would you do...

1. Ironwood.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Carwash...

25 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyvice

joeyvice Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I was offered a job at Ironwood communications, I start tomorrow at 8 am...But my problem is I was also given a job as a manager of a pretty big carwash. I would oversee 20 + employees and pretty much let loose to run it how I see fit as long as I make a profit. I was offered 7% of total gross early which is broken down at $45,000 base pay and given the difference over a 12 month period from the total 7%.

So on paper I am drawing off my 7% which they say should be around $70,000 but the last manager made $55,000 for 10 hours a day of work 6 days a week which is what I am expected to work..Sundays off.....so it's not 100% solid on how much the business will make, but last year it made $800,000. With Ironwood I would make what a normal installer makes, the more installs I do the more I make. I am given a van with no expenses for using it and I am given a phone + full benefits. At the carwash place I don't get any benefits but I am my own boss. I have the stress of running someone else's business entirely from top to bottom and not really sure what to do... So please give me your input, because I have little time to make my decision

2. joeyvice

joeyvice Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    bump =)

3. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    There is no way I would ever be an installer. I would not want the stress.

4. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Are you serious? Well personally I wouldn't like the idea of telling people that I worked at a car wash even if I was the manager. But that could just be the snob in me :D

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have started to write two answers, and didn't like either one. Tough choice.

The car wash made 800K, 7% of which is 56K or just about what the last guy made. No benefits.

I don't know what the installer position will pay, but if you are willing to work equally as hard (10 hr day/6 day wk) it should pay that much and you get benefits. Benefits are huge.

I think I would show up at Ironwood tomorrow morning at 8 with a smile on my face. And, always keep your resume current and your eye open for better opportunities.

Carl

6. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    With the new HD and all the fine tuning that will need to be done, you could probably make just as much as the carwash if you worked the same hours as you said the carwash would require. As a previous poster said, benefits are huge. Especially if your not single. I would go with Ironwood. Besides your daily list of installs that needs to be done, your pretty much your own boss there as well.

7. joeyvice

joeyvice Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007

It's not like a little carwash, it's like this full service oil, brakes, full detail, conveniant store thing. about 3000 sq feet. Imagine that business and everything involved.. And then picture running it from top to bottom and you would have my job details..

keep the voting going! and please keep replying with your thoughts.

8. joeyvice

joeyvice Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Yeah I married for for almost 3 years with an at home mommy of my son whos 19 months.. We want two more kids before we hit 30, I am 26 now. Intime I would hope to own my own business but need something steady for now.

9. glitch1999

glitch1999 AllStar

Mar 11, 2007
    Ask yourself this question, "If I'm having a difficult time making this decision, how will I deal with the decisions everyday that can possibly impact my subordinates lives?"

As a manager you will have to deal with the teenage employee that steals the change our of a customers car. The employee with personal issues. The employee that slacks off all day. etc, etc, etc....

Is that something you are comfortable dealing with?

10. bcrab

bcrab Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    Ask yourself this.....Which one would I be happiest with.
    No sense in doing something your miserable with doing day in, day out.

11. joeyvice

joeyvice Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    hard to say

12. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    i agree...the benefits make all the difference

13. joeyvice

joeyvice Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007
    It's not 800k it's 7% of $800,000 which would be $56,000

14. bcrab

bcrab Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    And installers don't deal with bad, no it all, watch over your shoulder, bi****ing, complaining customers?

15. biggie4852

biggie4852 AllStar

Jul 9, 2007
    You may really be sincere and just want advice. but is this the forum or even better yet the question you want answered by total strangers. Ask your wife, dad, mom, preacher someone who has knowledge of you and possible what maybe best for you and your family.

16. joeyvice

joeyvice Cool Member

Sep 22, 2007

you guys are my family now!!! I love you all!!!
    and I figured the more opinions the better right?

17. chris0

chris0 Godfather

Jun 25, 2007

Sounds like a more upscale car wash, he's going to get customers like that at either place.

With a kid the job with benefits is probably your best choice, but...
    Running the car wash, even for a year, can open a lot of other managerial jobs for you. Ones that have higher pay and less hours. Plus, if you really do want to open your own business someday this would be like college for that.

18. kintaro

kintaro AllStar

Dec 27, 2006
    Chris0 beat me to the punch, but he pretty much said what I was going to say.

19. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    I see that you are married but have you checked to see if there are any babes working at the car wash? :D

20. chris0

chris0 Godfather

Jun 25, 2007
    Don't forget about the lonely housewife who opens the door in her nighty. That scenario/fantasy works for both jobs, it's a wash. (no pun intended, seriously.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.