1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help picking out a new TV

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by rcwilcox, Dec 18, 2003.

1. rcwilcox

rcwilcox Godfather

Jan 20, 2003
    I would like a new TV but I have several problems not the least of which is money but also I have been looking for a while and now the manufacturers are changing TV's on me. I have an entertainment center that I paid big bucks for so it has to stay and it will hold a 36" wide TV max not 36.25". Also because of all the windows in the room I would like a flat screen. Recently the manufacturers have started adding side speakers to most of their flat screens making the 36" 4X3 TV's too wide. Now here comes 16X9 TV's that seem to be the future. All this is making my head hurt. Anybody got any advice? HD SD? Help

2. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Sell the big buck entertainment cabinet or buy a chain saw.

3. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    A few questions for you.

Was the entertainment center expensive (no $$ amount)
    Do you have any HD equipment (recv, correct dish) already?

If your answered yes and no (in that order) keep your current tv.

4. rcwilcox

rcwilcox Godfather

Jan 20, 2003
    Yea it was pretty expensive at least to me. Three pieces about nine feet wide and apologies to olgeezer but his options aren't viable. Not much more room on the wall and furniture is coordinated. If wife had her way there would be no TV at all.

No HD equipment now have a 721 Dish 500 but existing TV is 12 years old. Not sure how much longer it will work.

5. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Then I may go for a 32 HD ready TV (Check out Walmart or Sam's club) Philips and Panasonic have 32 HD ready.

6. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I've decided to sell my entertainment center (as it will only fit a 32 inch TV) and buy a new one. As well, I'm saving up for a Hitachi LCD projection 60 inch 60V500, I think.

I've done a bunch of research and it seems the best of the not TOO expensive (all things being relative) HDTVs. I've not seen in in person--I'll be doing that tomorrow.

All I've done so far is internet research.

You might find this link of use:

The CNET TV Buyer's Guide:

http://shopper.cnet.com/Home_video/4520-7608_7-1016109.html

Hope it helps. It's really confusing.

7. navy8ball

navy8ball Legend/Supporter

Mar 23, 2002
    i have 2 sanyo tv's i got from walmart.1 27 flat and the other is 31 non flat.have had them goin on 2 years and they still work great.the 27 flat has 2 s video inputs and 2 rca inputs. i have 2 E* 508 receivers going into it and it works great.i understand there is now a 32 flatscreen sanyo just like mine available.

8. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
  9. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    The other possible option is to keep the 36" ent center as a basic TV for daytime, weather, etc, and go to a ceiling mounted projector as the big screen for movies and other more important shows/sports. You can get a Infocus X1 for $999 that can project a 100" image, and it just takes up some unused ceiling space (or can be on a table), and a blank wall (can be OK on near white paint), or you can get fancy and have a drop down screen, neither of which would interfere much with decor (and take up even less wall depth than Plasma or LCD's!)
    To me, I consider a front projector with a smaller backup CRT to be my best option in upgrading to HDTV (Cheaper than most rear projection TV's, much larger image for a more immersive experience). You just have to realize the amazing possibilities as long as the limitations are not too great for your environment.

10. rcwilcox

rcwilcox Godfather

Jan 20, 2003
    Wow great thoughts! Paulh has really added a great dimension here. I have 10 foor ceilings so that idea might just be a winner. I will look into that. I am so amazed at the great input that most everybody gives here. Very helpful. Thank you all.

11. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I seen a 32" HD television at Wal-Mart for $699. I do not recommend RCA.

12. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    Another question, what is your current TV, and why are you gonna replace it?

13. rcwilcox

rcwilcox Godfather

Jan 20, 2003
    Current TV is a 30 inch toshiba that is 13 years old. Not sure how much longer it will run and it does not have closed caption and I am getting a little hard of hearing so CC would be nice some of the time. Also the Toshiba is a curved screen and there is a lot of light in the room and reflections are bad. I was hoping a flat screen would help with that.

14. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    Thanks. BTW, That Toshiba probably has several more years left. (I am glad you are getting a new one still. Flat screens are pretty cool) I have a Zenith floor-model TV in my room that is 20 years old, and still works pretty well. I have a DVD/VCR on my Christmas list! :) Put that Toshiba in another room, or give it to someone else. ;)

I agree Jacob. The only good stuff that RCA makes today are VCR's and 5 Disc Stereo Systems. Their TV's don't even last a mere couple years.

15. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    As far as getting a great picture I highly recommend the Panasonic Tau series.

I have 2 of them and they are excellent!

Premium grade TVs and very adjustable to "your" pereferences.

16. greggg

greggg Legend

Dec 3, 2003
    Why so anti RCA? I had a 32inch RCA that lasted ten years. I am looking at the new RCA DLP's that are about $1500 less than the Samsungs. Are you saying newer RCA's are garbage?

17. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    Technically no, but every year, I see a whole bunch of RCA TV's taken back to stores, or hear about them at online complaint sites. They do make good stuff still, like VCRs, DVD Player, CD Players, etc.

18. rcwilcox

rcwilcox Godfather

Jan 20, 2003
    I have noticed in Consumer Reports that most frequency of Repair records for TV's are good except for RCA. Because of that I am reluctant to consider a RCA.

19. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    Another thing, since you think your current TV is only expected to last a 'few' more years, have any problems developed?

20. hikerak

hikerak AllStar

Jan 8, 2003
    I think I might have hit submit before I actually wrote anything besides the title.. Sorry if I did.. But here is my question ...
    I have been researching quite a bit lately as well and I am down to these two. The difference seems to be in price. The panasonic is less expensive... Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,

Matt