Need help with 4K

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dbronstein, Feb 15, 2020.

1. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I am eligible for a free equipment upgrade, and I want to get 4k. So after a lengthy discussion with a CSR, I'm getting a Genie 2, a wired mini, and a wireless mini (we have two TVs). I have a few (possibly dumb) questions I'm hoping the fine folks here can answer:

He said you can only have one wired mini with a Genie 2, is that correct? I'd much rather have both wired.

The genie will be in the living room, and the second TV is in the basement. The basement isn't that far, and we use that TV much less. So if we can only have one wired, where it would make the most sense to put the wired mini?

Is there any advantage to getting a Directv ready TV? We don't have 4K TVs yet.

Do we need to upgrade our HDMI cables?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    You can have well more than one wired, but I don't remember exactly how many. I'm not aware of any Directv ready sets still being sold. Your cables are probably fine.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You can have up to 8 minis on any account. They can all wired it all wireless. It doesn’t matter. Also they don’t sell Directv Ready Tv’s anymore. And they won’t activate them also. When the install shows up tell him you want two 4K wired minis. Otherwise take a hike

I WANT MORE likes this.
  4. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Thanks for the replies!

5. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I have 3 wired 4k mini clients .
    A wired box is the only way to watch 4k content.

The small issue is you can only view 2 streams of 4k at one time.

But I haven't really had that issue.

HD and SD channels are fine

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. Mauiguy

Mauiguy Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007

In regard to your question about advantage to getting a Directv ready TV. I would not do it.

There are two reasons: The first being that should you have a problem with it, your TV manufacturer will tel you it is a Directv problem. The second being that should you have that problem and call DirecTv, they will tell you it is a problem with your TV and not DirecTv issue. Better to get a mini and suffer any problems with DirecTv customer non-service.

dbronstein likes this.
  7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    D* is NO longer Doing RVU installs -For the reasons you stated

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You would not believe the argument I had with an installer about this a couple months ago. He was insistent RVU was still a thing. Had to light off a couple of my sets and ask him to show me how to do RVU. He finally gave up. And he admitted he was wrong, that was refreshing.

Rich

dtv757 and WestDC like this.
  9. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Thanks for the replies!

dtv757 likes this.
  10. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    He's here now and installing two wired 4k clients :)

compnurd and studechip like this.
  11. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Update: Everything is in, seems to be working. Now we need to get a 4K TV or two :)

compnurd likes this.
  12. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    You may want to wait a few weeks for the 2020 models. Looks like there's going to be some exciting stuff coming.

compnurd likes this.
  13. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm surprised he gave you the C61ks without a 4k television.

14. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Why would he care what kind of TVs I have?

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There was a time they would only install the 4K box on a 4K TV. Now I don’t think they care anymore

16. nibyak

nibyak Mentor

Dec 7, 2005
    Rural VA
    I just got a Genie-2 and two 4k C61K minis installed also. When we called for free upgrade they said that they could only do wireless (they are confused). I was replacing an HR44 and an old HR-20. I had three C51s already installed and they stayed in place. The installer was happy to see that everything was wired already. We put the HS17 in place of the wired CCK (DECA) neither installer had seen that particular one before. While one installer was changing the LNB over to the reverse band, the other was putting the C61Ks in place. They left the unused the SWM 16 and the power inserter mounted in my basement, after asking me if it was okay (i said it was). We moved a few cables on the splitter and attached all of the minis to the genie. The whole thing took less than an hour. The installer mentioned that they had been having some issues with the reverse band LNBs burning out (his words) during the installs. We didn't experience that. The only issue experienced was that he activated the Genie before removing the hr-20 from the account so he had to call his boss to get that fixed so he could close out the job. The hardest part for me was reloading all of my series and downloading all of my wife's shows that she hadn't watched before the old DVRs were removed. It did take a few hours for the guide to populate and for the on demand to start working.

17. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    Me too.

dtv757 likes this.
  18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well... if you have a RVU tv it still works just fine on any genie before the hs17 and as long as you are paying for enough clients to have it as a client. You just use add or replace client in the Whole Home Service settings to do it.

The key is they won’t add a client to your system without having a physical client so you’d have to have that added too and then configure it yourself afterwards to get the box out of the system. Not much point in doing that.

But my moms RVU tv still works fantastic. Which is really shocking to me to be honest.

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanks, had no idea it was still active.

Rich