Need Help with Installation diagram

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by henry.77, Jan 17, 2015.

1. henry.77

henry.77 New Member

Jan 16, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Hi everyone, i need some help with a dish network installation, this is my story: I´m helping one friend of mine who lives in Alaska, he wants to install two (3 Ft) dishes with single legacy lnb for each satellite dish, and conect them to VIP612 dual tuner receiver.

My question is... what is the better option to connect 2 dishes to the receiver? is there a kind of diagram or installation guide that i can use? Do i need to use a switch or switches to connect them properly?

i really appreciate any help for that!!!

Best regards!!!

2. henry.77

henry.77 New Member

Jan 16, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    do you think its better to use DP lnb's instead of legacy ones? or Legacy ones can be used as well as DP lnb's with no signal reception issues? I really feel confused !!

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    You must use all Legacy LNBs and switches or all Dish Pro LNBs and switches, you can't mix them on a system.

Use 2 DP single or dual LNBs run to a DP34 switch then 2 RG6 cables to the 2 inputs on the 612. Probably the cheapest method.

4. henry.77

henry.77 New Member

Jan 16, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    okay.. what if we use Legacy LNB'S previously installed? you think its going to work as well as DP LNB'S?. i was Reading when there's a Legacy LNB'S, needs a switch 21 to work, isn't it? but i don't know if i have to use 1 or 2 switches 21. i guess one switch with one coax from dish 1 to satellite 1 in, and another coax from dish 2 to satellite 2 in, then run 1 coax to another switch 21 indoor. then the coax coming from the roof to switch 21 in, and 2 coax to each satellite receiver inputs.. its that a valid wiring connection?? i insist with legacy's because they are already installed, and we want to save some money. but if definitely the receiver will work better with DP'S, we'll have to buy them and DP34 switch too.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    You should read more about cascading legacy switches, at least get grasp of a fact - SW21 is not cascadable with itself.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Good luck finding Legacy LNBs and switches anymore.

Instead of the DP34 switch, I would recommend either a DPP33 or a DPP44 switch to join the 2 separate dishes / LNBs (which will need to be Dishpro singles or duals). Using the DPP switches would mean your friend only needs to run 1 cable from the switch to the VIP612 (this would need a DPP Seperator / triplexer).

7. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    You need 2 SW-21 switches at the dish and 1 cable from each to the back of the 612. Don't think of the Switches as splitters because they aren't. you can't combine and separate the signals.

SW-21 are LEGACY switches
    DP-21 switches are Dish Pro and not compatible with Legacy.

If your Legacy LNBs are real DISH branded LNBs they are old and can be on borrowed time. There are other manufacturers for LEGAC Y LNBs that are of recent manufacture which should be quite reliable.

8. henry.77

henry.77 New Member

Jan 16, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you for your suggestion RBA. I was wondering if you can post a kind of diagram showing me how to connect the switches. Because i'm a Little lost of that wiring method. With DPP 34 i have no problems by the way... lol

Thank you very much!!!

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    Your setup must include two legacy LNBFs with two ouputs (dual type), two SW21 switches, four coax cables from dishes to switches and two cables from switches to 612.

10. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    yea, the legacy LNB's must be dual output, and then you'd need 2 SW21 (Legacy) switches w/ 1 cable from each LNB. They other way to do it would be w/ a SW64 (if 1 still exists), but you'd still need dual LNB's in order to have 2 feeds for a DVR. As far as connecting them, assuming you have dual LNBs, you'd have 4 cables from the dish(s), 1 cable from each LNB going to 2 separate SW21s, an 1 cable from each SW21 to the DVR tuner1 & 2 (all the SW21 does is combine the 2 orbitals into 1 cable), or connect the 4 cables to an SW64 switch an run 2 feeds to the recvr.

ALso, the SW64 does have a power inserter. That apparatus can go inside the home.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I still have a pair of SW64 with power bricks in my garage... as SW42 what he could use. SW64 is overkill, used for three sats.