1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help with MRV Setup with Broadband

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mcreecher, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1 of 15
    mcreecher

mcreecher New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Hi all! First post. I finally switched to D* after 14 years with DN and am having problems with the MRV.

Here is my setup and I understand a little of why it isn't working but could really use some assistance. My system was installed Saturday and the tech didn't verify the MRV obviously before leaving.

I have two HR24-100 receivers and one H24-100. The installer hooked up a SWM powered module on the system. I have the two HR24 receivers hardwired with ethernet cables and they work fine with the MRV. The H24 receiver has no internet connection at all (I would have to install a wireless adapter due to the location) and the MRV is not working on the H24.

My preference, just from what I have read online, is to have the MRV function over DECA for all receivers. It would appear right now that it is functioning only over my home network. When I disconnected one of the ethernet cables from a HR24 receiver and reset it, the H24 and the HR24 could see each other but the HR24s no longer communicated as one was hardwired with ethernet and the other was not. As soon as the ethernet cable was plugged back into the HR24 the H24 disappeared and the HR24s were back online together.

D* said to just disconnect the ethernet cables to allow the DECA to work but then I lose the internet connection for On Demand, Apps, etc.

I want the MRV to work over DECA because I am not confident that my home network is that solid and MRV performance could suffer. I also don't want to introduce MRV over a wireless adapter on the H24. I also want internet on the HR24s for On Demand, etc.

So, after all this information to paint the picture of what I have, how can I accomplish my goal of DECA on all receivers for MRV and broadband only for the HR24s?

Thanks,

Matt

2. Aug 4, 2010 #2 of 15
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You need to remove all ethernet connections from all receivers. You'll need an extra coax from the splitter to near our router. This coax connects to a DECA box that needs a power supply and the DECA connects to your router. This will feed all HRs an internet feed via coax.

3. Aug 4, 2010 #3 of 15
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Also make sure that you run satellite set up after disconnecting the ethernet from the boxes. That step is necessary to re-initialize the internal DECA that will work over the coax.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #4 of 15
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Sigma's correct. But if it's not convenient, you don't necessarily need an extra coax near your router. Since you have CAT5 connections near your HR24's now that you'll no longer be using, you can split the coax going to one of the 24's. You connect one coax leg to the 24 and the other to the DECA adapter, which also be connected to the unused CAT5 cable. That DECA adapter will also need a stand-alone DECA power inserter.

5. Aug 4, 2010 #5 of 15
    mcreecher

mcreecher New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    I really hate to be a pain but it there a link out there to a diagram that may show this? I think I get the capability of these receivers to have one point affect all receivers (i.e. SWM module) but I am not following the installation structure you suggested.

I assume I need to buy something here too :) Do you have the part numbers? I figure I can get just about anything from SolidSignal.

6. Aug 4, 2010 #6 of 15
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I keep forgetting that you can do that. Thanks Steve.

7. Aug 4, 2010 #7 of 15
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Do as Steve suggested. You need...

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...DECA--(DECA1MR01)&c=Satellite Components&sku=
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...DER0)&c=Satellite Components&sku=874409002374
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...0-MHz)&c=Satellite Splitters&sku=874409002404

8. Aug 4, 2010 #8 of 15
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Lots of info in the connected home forum. Here's a link to a good diagram. The thread that it is in has lots of good pictures and diagrams.

9. Aug 4, 2010 #9 of 15
    mcreecher

mcreecher New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Thanks for the additional info, what I can't figure out is why tech support says I don't need any more DECA adapters with DECA built in.

They just keep saying "disconnect the ethernet" cables but then I think the On Demand goes away.

This is going over my head a little and I used to think I was pretty savy with this stuff but the D* hardware is completely foreign to me so it will take me a little while to get my brain in gear on this stuff.

Thanks for the help though. It is much appreciated!!!

10. mcreecher

mcreecher New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Ok, that diagram made a HUGE difference in my understanding. THANKS!!!!

2 questions

1. What is the AC module in the upper left hand corner of that diagram?
    2. my router is no where near the first splitter the installer put in. I need to run a new coax line to the router and set up this DECA module there?

Matt

11. mcreecher

mcreecher New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    On my question #1, is that the SWM module?

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    See post #4 above.

13. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It is actually the SWM power inserter. The SWM (single wire multiswitch) is acutally built into the LNB (The "feedhorn" of the dish unit.) The multiswitch needs power, and that black thing is the power for that switch.

As for #2. The DECA module can be plugged directly into a router, or anywhere on your network where you have both a coax and wired ethernet access. Since you had the HR24s plugged into the ethernet, one of those locations should work fine. The DECA modules come with a short ethernet pigtail. That can be replaced with a longer cable if needed.

Since this is a new install, whoever took your order should have asked about whether you wanted on demand access and should have put this on the order. If you want to push it, you can probably have them include the DECA and power adapter for free as well as sending someone out to install it if you want. Others who have added this on later have been charged $25 and just sent the equipment. (It's probably easiest to get what you want if you determine it ahead of time, and ask for that right away.)

14. mcreecher

mcreecher New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    I totally agree with your statement on "whoever took your order" unfortunately I placed the order online so no one could ask me the question. Therein lies the problem with them. I guess I was just supposed to know about the DECA constraints with ethernet connections used as well and should've known to request this configuration.

Armed with the info you all have provided I am going to call them and try to get the kit for $25 and install myself.

Thanks,

Matt

15. mcreecher

mcreecher New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Well, a technician is coming back Saturday to complete the install. Looks like it will either be free to install the Broadband DECA Kit or $25 at the most. Luckily the local service provider was aware of the issue and said the tech would have a kit with him as well as any additional components deemed necessary.

Thanks for all the help!!! Armed with the knowledge provided I was able to wrap up the whole scheduled visit in less than 10 minutes.

Matt