1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with offer of HD Extra for 3 months

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tinhead, May 14, 2009.

1. tinhead

tinhead Cool Member

Sep 21, 2006
    I just got my monthly (?) email called 'Exclusive DIRECTV Offers For You' and it offers the HD Extra pack for 3 months free. In the fine print at the end is the statement that the 4th month will be $4.99/mo. which is the usual fee.
    There are no other requirements listed like, 'You must keep HD Extra for a year, or til the end of your commitment.' etc.
    I would love to take this offer and only have to pay for the 4th month and then remove it from my account. I used to have it but eliminated it because I rarely watched these channels. If I took this offer I could watch all the shows I would have watched if I was subscribed to it, then drop it.
    Does anyone think/know if there are any other requirements for this 'deal' besides paying for the 4th month?
    (I'm on a fixed income and this supposed 'Extra' should be included with the $10 HD Fee IMO. I cut it to save 5 bux a month last year. I'm more than 1/2 way into a 2 year agreement and am very happy and will renew/extend!)
    TIA

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I added the free HD extra online a while ago, disconnected it before the 3 months were over. NEver paid a dime for it.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    No other requirements and you don't even need to pay for the 4th month if you don't want.

I got the same Email, but I already have the HD Extra Pack. But it says it's an offer exclusive for me.

Wonder if I can call and get 3 free months.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Probably can drop it for a day and readd it and get it for free.

I dropped it a long time ago because it just wasn't worth it for us, rarely watched anything on it. But I'll go for the free 3 months over the summer.

5. mickcris

mickcris Legend

Mar 16, 2008
    I just got rid of it a couple of months ago after getting it for free for 3 months, and it just let me add it again for 3 more months free.

6. Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z Godfather

Jul 30, 2007
    Due to lack of usage post-Olympics I dropped the HD Extra Pack about 2 months ago. I expect that I will add it back for the 2010 Winter Olympics. Can't watch too much luge ;)

7. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    The Olympics HD only feeds where free in 2008.

8. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Yup, that's what I did, I had it for 3 months free since signing up back in Nov, but dropped it last month since I rarely watch any channels in the pack except for an occasional viewing of HD Music Videos on Palladia after midnight :D A couple days later was looking at my account online and it had the 3 month free offer, so I grabbed it :) Gonna cancel it again after paying for one month and see if it offers the same promo again :D

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have had it for free 3 times now for 3 months each. Last time I paid for the 4th month. Then dropped it and added it back and got another 3 months free. Not really worth the hassel as I never watch them channels. Not worh the extra $5 for me thats for sure.

10. tinhead

tinhead Cool Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Went into my account at DirecTV.com from the link in the email & activated the HD pack.
    Says 0.00 for 3 months so I'm good for awhile. Now to remember to shut it off if I don't watch any of these channels.
    Thanx to all responders.

11. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, canceled the HD Extra pack this afternoon. Logged on via the Email I got and reactivated it just now for 3 free months.

12. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    I think this is the 4th time I've gotten it for free.

As for remembering to shut it off... calendar.yahoo.com (no www) is a free app where you can set reminders as far into the future as you like. You get email reminders as the date approaches.

13. SteelersFan_in_CA

SteelersFan_in_CA AllStar

Jan 1, 2008
    Everyone probably knows this but there is one stipulation. Here is the message I got from DTV.com copied and pasted here:

14. Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z Godfather

Jul 30, 2007
    True - except for Universal HD which required the HD Extra Pack. As a certified Olympics junkie I needed it all. (OK - I didn't need to see Olympic handball)

15. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    This only applies if you have an old "grandfathered" package and want to use the web site to add (or drop) HD Extra Pack. If you call, the CSR should be able to add it to, or drop it from, an old package with no problem. (Okay, your mileage may vary depending on the competence of the CSR.)

16. SteelersFan_in_CA

SteelersFan_in_CA AllStar

Jan 1, 2008
    I didn't know that but am not sure I want to take the risk of my account getting messed up. ;) Does adding this free service restart the commitment? Just curious. It seems the package is not worth my time or trouble in any case. :)

17. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't have a grandfathered package anymore (gave it up to get Premiere for free with ST last fall), but when I did, I would always call to add or drop programming and my package always remained. I just made sure to tell the CSR about it. Adding Sports Pack (or any other programming) does not extend your commitment.

18. guffy1

guffy1 Legend

Apr 23, 2006
    Ive signed up for the free 3 months 3 times now in the last 11 months. Never paid a penny. Its up for free again on the website right now.