1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with this layout

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 420benz, Feb 21, 2013.

1. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    The problem i have is with the surround sound tuner connections [i think].
    When i view a dvd on the 3D DVD and turn the SS on,what ever is on the TV will come through the SS Tuner not the DVD.This also happens when i play a movie from Netflix on the Smart TV. As you can see i have two DVR's.The one marked LR. is the one mostly used.This worked just fine until i moved the TV from a console to the wall.I thought the connections that you see were the same.

Attached Files:

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Change the input on the audio receiver via remote (or front panel).

3. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Actually, why do you have optical going from your display to your audio receiver?

Run that optical from your 3D DVD to your audio receiver.

4. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    That only woks with the DVD player.
    I will post a picture of the Tuner remote.

5. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    If i move the remote to DVD [with the present layout] it will switch the TV program off and run through the Tuner which is OK. But the problem is when i watch a movie on Netflix the movie will come on with the TV program sound.

Attached Files:

6. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Did you see my other reply?

7. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Yes. I disconnected the optical from the TV to the receiver but that only solves the DVD problem not the Netflix problem.

8. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Can you access Netflix from something other than your TV? i.e. Blu Ray player?

I didn't realize you were doing Netflix from your TV, so that's why you need the optical from your TV.

However, you have several inputs on your A/V receiver (as evidenced by the remote you posted), so you have one input being used for the 3D-DVD, one input for the TV, one input for the CD player and one input for the DVR.

Using the remote, you should be able to use the remote to select the desired input. Which input are those 4 things connected to?

It might also help if you listed the exact equipment with model numbers, especially for your A/V receiver.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Looking at your setup, I see one similar to mine, which requires me to change the input of my AVR each time I change the TV source [input].

My TV isn't "smart" by any means. :lol:
    I see yours has an ARC HDMI. This is an "audio return" to a surround sound amp that has lots of HDMI connections and also supports ARC.
    The idea with this is all the HDMI connections go to the AVR and then the ARC HDMI to the TV, but with the SS you have you can't use this "and" this may be why you don't get Netflix through the optical to your SS.
    If my TV had Netflix, it wouldn't output sound over optical, as it only does from the TV tuner. :(

[​IMG]

10. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    This is the only connections on the receiver other then the HDMI's and speakers

Attached Files:

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This looks just like my Sony AVR, which predates having HDMI.
    Changing the SS inputs when you change the TV input is all you can do.
    If you have problems with Netflix, you'll need to find an option in the TV for the optical output "if it has an option".

12. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    The thing is that it worked without switching anything before I moved the TV.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If it worked before, then "something" has changed, but your diagram isn't showing it.

14. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    What I don't understand is when I put a movie on Netflix (before) the original TV program went off including the sound.Then I would turn the Tuner on for SS and it worked great. Don't know what I did wrong.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm looking at a setup manual and see you have HDMI IN: 4, 3, 2 ARC, and 1 DVI.

"What happens" if you move the HDMI from 2 ARC to 3 or 4?

16. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    No change.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Crap"
    Just so we're on the same page here, You have audio from the TV through the SS, but when you start a Netflix, the audio is still from the TV tuner?

18. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Actually when a movie is playing on Netflix with SS on the sound from the TV station that was on before I switched to Netflix is in SS and the movie sound is also on from the TV. I really screwed something up.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Let me try this again:

The TV sound comes through the SS "fine"
    When you change to a movie from Netflix, the SS still plays the sound from the TV channel and the Netflix movie sound is coming from the TV speakers?

If this is the case, then the change needed is in the TV menu. You most likely need to have the speakers off and find the setting for sending the sound to the amp.
    These menus/manuals are REALLY BAD. I spent days with a Sony AVR manual trying to get Dolby out of the amp. "Pass through" was the wrong choice, but it was several steps away in the menu from sound settings and I only found it by trying everything one at a time.

20. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Your assessment of the problem is correct.
    I will address the problem to the TV.