need more tuners

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 1320racer, Apr 12, 2014.

1. 1320racer

1320racer New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    St. Louis
    We just switched over to Direct TV.
    Our current set up is:
    Genie in the family room.
    Mini's in five bedrooms.
    We are having issues with not enough capacity. Can we add additional HD receivers so everyone can watch at the same time.
    Our children are all in their twenties and often want to watch different programs in the evening and we cannot record on the DVR.
    We don't need DVR's in four of the bedrooms just HD receivers. Any suggestions?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You can change some of the minis to H25 receivers.
    The Genie has 5 tuners, so 3 H25s wouldn't require changing anything but the receivers.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How many kids? I'd have them get a DVR each so they can take care of their own recordings myself.

1 person likes this.
  4. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Have the children move out.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    "grown ups" will benefit better by having their own DVR

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Who the hell talked you into five minis for a house full of kids should go back to sales training.

I would advise you to rethink the your stance on don't need more DVRs.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Leave it as is. Maybe that will encourage them to move out sooner than later.

But if that isn't the desired end-state, do as others have suggested and get them to pay for DVRs.

8. 1320racer

1320racer New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    St. Louis
    This sounds like a good idea. Having the kids move out would be be better. I assume the H25's would not have access to the Genie's DVR? Would this allow the sets with the H25's to watch any channel regardless of who else is watching?
    My wife is the main problem with the DVR, the rest of us really don't use it much.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes, the H25's can watch things recorded onto the DVR, set things to record on it. They have their own tuners, so they can watch anything, regardless of other boxes.

They will lose the ability to pause/rewind live TV.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Unfortunately this happens quite often. is a shame.

Not too long ago I had an upgrade from 9 SD receivers to 1 Genie and 8 minis. there is a story behind this though, which blame most the customer then the CSR, but when the CSR gave up without telling the customer the limitation, it was their fault at the end

11. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Wrong. Not only does it have access. It can schedule the Genie to record. Again taking a tuner away.

As I stated, you should rethink your stance on not needing more DVRs. BTW the monthly fee for a Mini, a H2x and a HR2x is the same.

12. 1320racer

1320racer New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    St. Louis
    Direct TV is going to swap out one of the minis for a HD DVR at no cost. They have put in a request to swap three others out for H25 boxes. Do they need to add a switch for the non genie boxes so they wont pull from the Genie's five tuners? I would like to have all the TV's able to view different channels at the same time while retaining some DVR recording ability.
    I had to get a supervisor on the phone but once I got past the first guy they were very willing to work with me. They did say they should have never set up our system with all minis.
    I should be credited a couple hundred bucks for spending my evening listening to horrible music while on hold.

13. 1320racer

1320racer New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    St. Louis
    Does the H25 have a tuner of it's own or does it pull from the Genie?

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    A Genie, and DVR will use 7 tuners, leaving only "space" for another tuner [H25].
    When you need more than eight tuners, you'll need an SWiM-16, which DirecTV will supply when needed.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You might think about exactly what you want.
    A H25 has a tuner, can watch recordings from the DVR/Genie.
    The Genie has 5 tuners, and can share these with 3 minis at the same time.
    Mini's act like remote DVRs where they can pause live TV, which the H25 can't.
    A mix of Genie, DVR, minis, & H25s sounds like you'd get what you want, "once you figure it out" :lol:

16. 1320racer

1320racer New Member

Apr 12, 2014
    St. Louis
    Sounds like a mess.

I have one room that only watches live TV (mother in law)
    Three kids who watch a mix of live TV and some On demand and DVR recordings.
    The wife who is the Queen of the DVR and needs as much bandwidth as a third world country and me who gets to pay for all of it and get to watch the leftovers.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The H25 can watch live TV without impacting the Genie or DVR.
    It can watch any of the recordings from the DVRs, but uses that tuner.
    If you want to record something, it will show you all the DVRs in your system and you select which DVR you want to record too. If that is the Genie, it will use one of it's five tuners.

18. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Tuner Yes, HDD No. So for recording or OnDemand It will need to use the Genie for content storage.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds like the mother in law gets a H25.
    "Three kids" might want to be on the minis.
    "The wife" gets her own [HR24] DVR.
    With a Genie in this mix:
    The mother in law is free to watch what she wants without affecting anyone else.
    The kids can watch live TV, recordings, or OnDemand.
    The wife has her own DVR.
    This leaves the Genie, which will give up three tuners if the kids are watching live TV, and have two tuners left for either recording or watching live TV.
    "Maybe" the next question is whether the kids have H25s instead of minis.
    Going this way gives them live TV, but no OnDemand, and they could use the Genie to record, but this would take a tuner from the Genie for each, so the next question is do you want/need the kids to be watching live TV while they are recording another show?
    If the kids are wanting to record "a lot", then changing the mini/H25 to HR24s "should satisfy" them.
    The monthly fees will be the same regardless, so it really just comes down to the up front costs.

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    In guessing the wife would go nuts not being able to record four or five things at once as that is the issue now.

If the up front money isnt an issue I'd go with a genie and a mini for your bedroom and family room. Three DVRs one for each kid. And a h25 for the mother in law. Anyone can watch anything anywhere but each has their own DVR to record. It all oats the same monthly. But the wife won't be happy not being able to record more than two shows at once if she's recording that much now. IMHO. That's why if do what I just suggested.