1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Samsung TV for HR34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ProfJason, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1 of 17
    ProfJason

ProfJason Mentor

Dec 16, 2006
    I'm on the phone with DirecTV now and was asking about ordering an HR34, and was told that I had to have a Samsung TV with RVU on it to be able to order the HR34. That doesn't sound right there. Do you have to have a Samsung TV to have the HR34 work properly?

Jason

2. Jul 6, 2012 #2 of 17
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Absolutely not. RVU (which is on some Samsungs) is an optional feature, not a requirement.

3. Jul 6, 2012 #3 of 17
    naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    What he said. Make sure you are clarifying it with the agent on your purpose for the HR34

4. Jul 6, 2012 #4 of 17
    doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    It will work with either RVU or the "old-fashioned" way. I don't personally see great benefit for the RVU as you still have to pay a per RVU/ fee AFAIK. If you aren't getting a deal and don't need installation I would recommend just buying from Solidsignal.com and spare yourself the headache.

5. Jul 6, 2012 #5 of 17
    wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Agent is incorrect

6. Jul 6, 2012 #6 of 17
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Several people have posted that a CSR told them they needed a Samsung TV to use with the HR34. The CSRs misunderstood the training they were given....

7. Jul 6, 2012 #7 of 17
    wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    To say the least...none of the training stated anything near that...just said it could be used with it

8. Jul 7, 2012 #8 of 17
    ProfJason

ProfJason Mentor

Dec 16, 2006
    Thanks. The next representative I talked to did understand what the HR34 could do and was like, that would work on your TV, you don't need a Samsung. I was just really surprised at how insistent the first agent was about the Samsung, when I was saying that I hadn't read anything either on the DirecTV website about that or on the message boards here.

9. housemr

housemr Legend

Jun 3, 2009
    i just setup my movers connection and asked for a hr34 because i really want the picture and picture but the rep told me i needed a samsung tv so he just gave me a hddvr but after reading this thread i think i should call back in.

also, what are the different layouts for picture in picture? are they predefined or can you move the box around yourself? what about splitting the screen 50/50?

finally if i do call in and get that changed does the hr34 still only require one cable outlet or many?

10. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    1. yes you should
    2. yes to all
    3. yes just one sat in

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you want the 34, call back. It may impact your Movers date, but that depends on what your local installer has in stock.

I don't know about the PIP, but YouTube has a number of videos advertising demonstrations of the PIP.

The 34 only uses one coax to run.

12. housemr

housemr Legend

Jun 3, 2009
    Thanks to both of you. My install date is Aug 11 so i am hoping they will have stock by then. I will let you know what they say after i call back in.

Hardware wise will i just have a bigger swm box and i am guessing more lines coming from the dish? Is the physical size of the dish going to be bigger/heavier?

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It will only be on the truck if you get the order changed.
    Not knowing your current hardware, it is hard to answer your other question. It depends on your number of tuners (2 tuners for each DVR, 5 for HR34 and 1 for each receiver). If you have 8 or less, then there will be a SMW LNB with one wire down to splitters with one coax per each unit. If you exceed 8 tuners, then 4 wires from the dish to a SMW16 switch and then one wire from that switch to each unit.

(number grammar rule violated acknowledged)

14. housemr

housemr Legend

Jun 3, 2009
    Also, is it true that if i only have one line run into a room (large rec room) and I want to have multiple directv receivers in that room, with mrv/swm they can just use a splitter at the wall outlet and then run a line to each receiver instead of having to run a whole new second line for receiver 2?

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    That is how I'm doing it, but one coax does max out with 8 tuners.

16. housemr

housemr Legend

Jun 3, 2009
    i called back in and was able to the hr 34. the csr rep cancelled the original order (instead of modifying) and then reset it the movers. now the issue seems to be she didnt add Relocating my Existing HDDVR IRD. i called back a few hours later and and was told everything was fine. well this morning i got a confirmation of order email from directv showing a slimline dish (can that support over 8 tuners?) and no reconnection of existing dvrs.

what should i do now as two csrs have told me everything is setup correctly?

old email confirmation
    [​IMG]

new email confirmation
    [​IMG]

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Answered in other thread...

- Merg